Scared of gym

Options
2»

Replies

• MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    This was me 4 years ago. I have a history of anxiety and depression. The thought of going to a gym terrified me, but one day once the kids had started full time school I just signed up and walked in on my own. (Daunting, it was really hard to do that) I spent 6 months hiding on an elliptical trainer in a quiet area until I was more used to the surroundings, realised everyone is not judging me or staring at me and 4 years later I'm still going to the same gym 4 to 5 days a week, i do boot camps, group pt, gym classes and running.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's not just OK to be out of your comfort zone - it's a good thing.
    That's how you develop as a person by pushing yourself.

Yes what you are feeling is common, especially amongst women apparently. My daughter is exactly the same but once she is through the door she is fine.

Keep in mind gyms are where you go to get fit and not just places where fit people go.

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Don't fear the weights. Most of us "weight monkeys" are welcoming if you keep showing up and grinding it out.
  • degaia3
    degaia3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Brand new to this forum and I have to say...don't like the idea of going to the gym either. Maybe I will when I've lost the first 20 pounds.
    I've been dancing in my living room to Fitness Marshall videos on you tube and having a blast. It feels so good to sweat again!