I went on a cruise and lost 73 pounds!

Annie42019
Annie42019 Posts: 85 Member
edited January 2020 in Success Stories
Lol. Ok it took 10 months but being on the cruise was my source of my inspiration and even where I started. Here’s what happened.

We were on a lovely cruise and in the concierge area. The restaurant manager in this small private area got to know all the guests and was so nice and friendly. She was also fairly heavy probably around 200+ lbs. Every night she’d compliment me on my outfit and ask me where I got it. It soon occurred to me that she viewed us as the same size. I was in denial about how large I was and this was a huge wake up call. Moreover there were some very very heavy people on this cruise like in the 300+ range. I suddenly started realizing that not only was I already in the same category as the restaurant manager but could one day be in the next group, barely able to move. That’s not what I wanted. So on the cruise I just sort of decided to cut back and cut all my meals in half. I think I lost a pound even eating burgers and fries and pizza by eating half my plate.

When we got home I signed up for Weight Watchers. I really like the tracking. But some of the things just did not work for me. Having plain veggies be zero points worked for me. But bananas being “ free” that didn’t work for me. Nor did “ paying “ so much in points for things like chocolate or olive oil.

So....I started looking at other food tracking options and found MFP. I used it with the WW twist of not tracking plain veggies. Fruit I track.

Although my doctor told me that at my age loss would be very slow ( I’m in my late 50’s) I had immediate success. I lost 15 pounds the first month. And 2 pounds or so per week until I hit my first goal of 149 which put me in a “ normal” range. I continued to lose about a pound a week to hit my current goal of 135! I’ve maintained that for the past 9 months and plan to do this and MFP for life!

Replies

• weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    @Annie42019 Congrats! That's amazing!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Hurray for you!
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Yay for you!!!!! :) I love positive posts like this!!! Thank you for sharing!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    BOOM! What a marvelous accomplishment and I LOVE your thread title. Super YAY YOU!!!!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,915 Member
    A huge CONGRATS...I am proud of you for losing your weight and keeping it off for almost a year ...that is a huge accomplishment ...I just started back on my weight loss journey on Jan. 1st after an 8 month injury...I have lost 5.8 lbs since the 1st :)
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,305 Member
    Well done, and congratulations! I love the very unique fact that you were inspired and actually started DURING the cruise.
  • Winning2020
    Winning2020 Posts: 2 Member
    Annie42019, Amazing Annie!
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    I read the title and opened the thread just to ask "what the hell did they do to you on that cruise?!" :o , and was relieved when I saw your explanation. :) Congratulations, you've done a terrific job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!