contaceptive implant hindering weight loss?

Hi. Ever since having the contraceptive implant it seems it has become very hard ti loose weight
Has anyone else found this? I also suspect it causing headaches and bad skin.

Replies

• Alyssah09
    Alyssah09 Posts: 357 Member
    What device do you have??
  • raverhayley
    raverhayley Posts: 112 Member
    implanon
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    My doctor told me it was more like an additional 1 or 2lb weight gain a year due to hormones, but that it shouldn't be that different from other birth control options. I was able to lose weight on it (it was tough) but my skin was HORRID and I had bad mood swings so I switched. I think everybody's body is diff though.
  • SunsetDncr
    SunsetDncr Posts: 8 Member
    Yes, the hormones can cause the headaches. I'd suggest bringing that up to your doctor. As far as weight grain.... yes hormones can cause weight gain. A lot of doctors will say it doesn't. I don't have an implant.... I'm way past that stage in my life. But I did use a Vivelle Dot estrogen hormone patch for 6 months and gained 15 pounds. As soon as I took it off I was able to start losing weight.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Hormones don't cause weight gain. Hormones might increase your appetite, which might result in you eating more than you're burning, which would cause weight gain. But you can control that by controlling your intake.

Hormones DO cause water retention, which will cause your scale weight to increase, but that is temporary and should not be considered "weight gain."
  • melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Everyone's body is different and therefore reacts different to hormones, implants etc. Some people do well and others like myself didn't do well at all! The implanon added into other issues helped my weight go up 40lbs in 4years. I just got mine out this year and also had to have hysterectomy so i'm starting at square one. But I will say that I feel a lot more like myself. :) Good luck
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Hormones don't cause weight gain. Hormones might increase your appetite, which might result in you eating more than you're burning, which would cause weight gain. But you can control that by controlling your intake.

Hormones DO cause water retention, which will cause your scale weight to increase, but that is temporary and should not be considered "weight gain."

Yep. Unless it is injecting calories into your blood stream you should be fine.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    implanon

Dunno what this is. I have Mirena, and I have had no issues losing weight on it.
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    My implanon didn't hinder weight loss, but it did give me TERRIBLE skin and make me a terrible witch all the time, so it came out!
  • xjckemx
    xjckemx Posts: 95 Member
    Hi I had implanton, and although I did lose weight it was hard going. I had it taken out about 6 months ago for other reasons, playing havoc with my cycle and skin! The last few pounds then
    Came off easier. Coincidence??? Who knows.
  • Iv got the implanon and iv found that i seem to have stuck to same weight, not gaining but not losing either. Usually when i do exercise every day i will lose slowly but consistantly. I dont eat the best food but i dont over eat so an increase in appetite isnt the cause ( in my case) .
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    I've had the Mirena for nearly five years to treat a heavy cycle and have never had a problem losing weight on it.

In fact my metabolism seems to be faster than it was in my teens, so it's possible that it had a positive effect on my weight loss.

The IUD releases very small amounts of hormone locally so it has fewer mental and physical side effects compared to other hormonal birth control. Maybe look into that one if you're having trouble with implanon ?
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Why's this in the gaining weight section?
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Hi OP

with my personal experience with the implanon, I gained weight and also missed my cycle significantly.

I would strongly recommend anyone getting it as the people that I know that were on it experienced weight gain, lack of appetite, severe depression and bad skin.

It honestly provided very little benefit for me and now I have a scare.

I would go on the pill if I were you anything like Yaz, Yasmin helps with weight gain, you pay for it though they are $70-$80 a repeat here
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    I have just come off depo provera (injection) after several years on it in Feb this year.

I was on Implanon for a year some years ago and it was fine until the end of that year when it started malfunctioning (possibly because depo provera was still in my system for the first year then when it left I had issues). While it was malfunctioning I did gain weight but not while it was "working" so to speak. When it was removed it was more of a boomerang than a rod LOL.

I have found progesterone based contraception drastically improves my mood and the upshot of that is it improves my appetite. Sadly, at 37, I decided I needed to try and get some kind of cycle back to see where I am in the fertility stakes or I'd still be on the injection now. I wouldn't entertain the idea of Implanon again as it wasn't for me but I am not averse to similar long acting methods, in the right circumstances. It either suits you or it doesn't. There doesn't appear to be a middle ground with it.

I can't tolerate the combined pill, I end up unable to eat at all and feel sick all the time. Sometimes progesterone based contraception is the most viable option. If that is you, you could try the progesterone only pill. I got on ok with that post Implanon.
  • VixB1842
    VixB1842 Posts: 36
    I have had implanon for 3 years, about to get it redone. Its been hard to lose weight but when is it ever easy for anyone? I haven't attributed it to not losing weight faster. I find if I eat less and move more I tend to lose weight. Agreed with the calorie injection comment. Don't let it hold you back or use it as an excuse. It does definitely affect women differently but without other factors a hormone a lone even in vast quantities can make you put on weight. Water retention can happen whether you're larger or the thinnest person in the world and that too can be combatted.
  • raverhayley
    Thanks for your replies :) I have spoken to my GP about having it taken out now. He agrees my bad skin and headaches are defiantly linked to implanon as for not loosing weight or putting it on very easily he did say other women have complained and have linked it to implanon as well.

I've had in for four months and have seem more cons than pros!
  • Leijing
    Leijing Posts: 21 Member
    No, really... Why is a discussion on contraceptives hindering weight loss in a section whose goal is to GAIN weight?

Personally, I don't use hormonal contraceptives. They alter your hormone levels, which changes your mood, your sense of smell (seriously it alters your subconscious perception of histocompatability through smell), and puts you at an increased risk for blood clots that can cause heart attack, stroke, or pulmonary embolism!

The change in hormones can cause increased appetite and water retention--it is, after all, making your body believe that you are pregnant--so I could see how this could be a concern to some people, but this is Not the place for that discussion.
  • raverhayley
    No, really... Why is a discussion on contraceptives hindering weight loss in a section whose goal is to GAIN weight?

Personally, I don't use hormonal contraceptives. They alter your hormone levels, which changes your mood, your sense of smell (seriously it alters your subconscious perception of histocompatability through smell), and puts you at an increased risk for blood clots that can cause heart attack, stroke, or pulmonary embolism!

The change in hormones can cause increased appetite and water retention--it is, after all, making your body believe that you are pregnant--so I could see how this could be a concern to some people, but this is Not the place for that discussion.
    no need to be so uptight! accidentally put the thread in the wrong place, it happens. The moderators haven't moved it so they cant be that bothered.
  • chelseachelsea1991
    chelseachelsea1991 Posts: 55 Member
    I was on the Depo shot for 9 months. I gained 40 pounds (up to 180). Got off the shot and lost 20 pounds without trying. I decided to try the Mirena. I had uncontrollable hunger and gained 20 pounds (at this point I'd gone down to 137 and then went up to 157). I also had really bad bacterial infections. My doctor told me the Mirena doesn't cause those symptoms, yadda yadda yadda. I still insisted she remove it and voila! haven't had an infection since then (a year ago) and my crazy hunger is gone. I haven't been back on birth control since and don't plan to.

Long story short: you know your body. I don't really trust doctors when they tell me "oh it doesn't cause those symptoms". :grumble: