European Friends! Need low-cost/calorie food options

Options
kali31337
kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
Hello everyone! I am a graduate student who just moved from the US to Belgium for school and I need more lunch ideas. As I am new to this country and don't speak the language (thank GOODNESS for google translate), I am struggling to figure out what to buy that stays in my now limited budget.

When I was back in the US and had a full-time job, I was able to order whatever I needed from the comfort of my own home from a single store so meal planning was easy. Now that I am here, I am finding it hard to get what I need or work with what I have. I shop primarily at Aldi/Lidl but occasionally have to supplement for random things at Carrefour and Delhaize. But that's time consuming and I often can't find what I need even with a list!

So I have been sticking to sandwiches for lunch as they are simple but they haven't been the most nutritious and I really should eat less carbs (which is devastating in a country with AMAZING bread).

Help with meal ideas!? What are you eating that's been working for you??

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I've lived in Italy for over 30 years. You've heard the saying "When in Rome do as the Romans do"? Well, that's what I'd suggest. Start looking around at what the Belgiums are eating and doing for exercise. When you're in another country it's an opportunity to take part and learn from their culture. Of course you modify a bit for your own tastes and needs. When you can't find something in a store ask someone. It's a great chance to try out the language and have your list ready to show if your pronunciation is off. That's what I did to learn Italian. They then said the word correctly and I repeated it after them.
  • djwinch
    djwinch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My lunch every day can be bought from aldi...

One packet of dried couscous (add 160ml of boiling water)
    One large pepper
    One onion
    One tin of sweetcorn
    Optional couple of spoons of lazy chilli.

I just dice up the pepper and onion and add to the couscous and drained sweetcorn.

I used to add half a packet of precooked sandwich meat to it such as piri piri chicken. It started getting expensive adding that to the weekly shopping though so I cut that out!
  • kali31337
    Options
    I've lived in Italy for over 30 years. You've heard the saying "When in Rome do as the Romans do"? Well, that's what I'd suggest. Start looking around at what the Belgiums are eating and doing for exercise. When you're in another country it's an opportunity to take part and learn from their culture. Of course you modify a bit for your own tastes and needs. When you can't find something in a store ask someone. It's a great chance to try out the language and have your list ready to show if your pronunciation is off. That's what I did to learn Italian. They then said the word correctly and I repeated it after them.

For food, I don't get to see a lot of Belgians eating except students and they are scarfing down ALL of the meats in gravy and chips so I'm avoiding that. I do have other Belgian friends that I met at the bar so I'l have to ask them what they are eating...

For exercise it's a lot of cycling which I'll start doing once I get my health insurance! I am joining a gym next month with a Belgian friend so that will be helpful as well
  • kali31337
    Options
    djwinch wrote: »
    My lunch every day can be bought from aldi...

One packet of dried couscous (add 160ml of boiling water)
    One large pepper
    One onion
    One tin of sweetcorn
    Optional couple of spoons of lazy chilli.

I just dice up the pepper and onion and add to the couscous and drained sweetcorn.

I used to add half a packet of precooked sandwich meat to it such as piri piri chicken. It started getting expensive adding that to the weekly shopping though so I cut that out!

Thanks for idea! I actually did just make a couscous bowl tonight with sweet potatoes, corn and black beans for dinner!
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I think this is probably more to do with unfamiliarity and the language barrier rather than availability.

I'm in the UK and use Aldi all the time, you may not be able to find exactly what you're used to though!

I would suggest you look at the pre-made salads, cooked salmon, hummous, cooked meats, falafel, quiche. In the freezer there is a range of lower calorie options, including a veggie chilli that I like.

And if course if you have cooking facilities there is all the veg, meat, cooking sauces etc you would expect to find.

Is there anything in particular you're struggling to find?
  • kali31337
    Options
    I think this is probably more to do with unfamiliarity and the language barrier rather than availability.

I'm in the UK and use Aldi all the time, you may not be able to find exactly what you're used to though!

I would suggest you look at the pre-made salads, cooked salmon, hummous, cooked meats, falafel, quiche. In the freezer there is a range of lower calorie options, including a veggie chilli that I like.

And if course if you have cooking facilities there is all the veg, meat, cooking sauces etc you would expect to find.

Is there anything in particular you're struggling to find?

It's all the basic ingredients that I used to cook with in the US and realizing how often we cooked with things that were out of season or international. It took me the LONGEST time to find sour cream because there were a lot of things called sour cream that were more yogurt than anything. Basic peppers are ok to find but I'm having a terrible time finding jalapenos. Sometimes it's the same with black beans! Or I used to make these spinach balls that called for stuffing mix and not shockingly, it's just not an ingredient that is easily found, if at all.

That's why I was asking what others were eating since I know I need to adapt to what is available to me.
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Agree, jalapenos can be a tricky one. I can find jalapenos in most stores around me, but in a little expensive jar. Black beans, same story. However, not too far from me, I found an Asian store and a Middle Eastern store that sell large jars of jalapenos and beans, as well as many other ingredients which I use in my daily cooking. All at low prices. So, try finding a more international / ethnic market in your area.

Otherwise, eat more veggies, fruit, legumes, and other local produce, and perhaps find a recipe to replicate your stuffing mix. Just about everything can be substituted with foods around you. I am pretty certain of it :) Enjoy your time in Belgium!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I'm from Belgium myself, so I can answer questions if you want. I can tell you what most Belgians will eat for lunch. Which isn't necessarily low calorie or low cost.

Most Belgians will eat one warm meal a day (lunch or evening depending on the circumstances) so lunch can be a warm meal or 'tartines/boterhammen' (bread with meat, cheese, sometimes something sweet like confituur/confiture). I tend to often replace the traditional meat/cheese with more veggie based options (guacamole, hummus,...). You can also add vegetables to the tartines: for example bread with soft goat cheese (in a plastic box, for example Chavroux) topped with tomato.
    Depending on budget and convenience, many now don't make their own "tartines/boterhammen" but buy sandwiches. Certainly a more expensive option, and difficult to know how many calories they contain.

For an alternative cold lunch, something I see colleagues do is make their own salads: they buy lettuce, bell peppers, tomatoes, avocado, mozzarella cheese, hummus,... and compose their salad at lunchtime (or beforehand), with some bread or crackers on the side. You could also buy precut vegetables or premade salads/taboulehs/... but again, that won't be a cheaper alternative.

Another thing we will often do (if the circumstances allow it) is bring leftovers from dinner the day before and heat those up for lunch.

• kali31337
    Options
    Agree, jalapenos can be a tricky one. I can find jalapenos in most stores around me, but in a little expensive jar. Black beans, same story. However, not too far from me, I found an Asian store and a Middle Eastern store that sell large jars of jalapenos and beans, as well as many other ingredients which I use in my daily cooking. All at low prices. So, try finding a more international / ethnic market in your area.

Otherwise, eat more veggies, fruit, legumes, and other local produce, and perhaps find a recipe to replicate your stuffing mix. Just about everything can be substituted with foods around you. I am pretty certain of it :) Enjoy your time in Belgium!

I found an Asian store near campus which has been a LIFESAVER...trying to find edamame was making me pull my hair out before I found that store!

Thank you for the vote of confidence! It's definitely going to be an adjustment but I'm excited to do it!
  • kali31337
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I'm from Belgium myself, so I can answer questions if you want. I can tell you what most Belgians will eat for lunch. Which isn't necessarily low calorie or low cost.

Most Belgians will eat one warm meal a day (lunch or evening depending on the circumstances) so lunch can be a warm meal or 'tartines/boterhammen' (bread with meat, cheese, sometimes something sweet like confituur/confiture). I tend to often replace the traditional meat/cheese with more veggie based options (guacamole, hummus,...). You can also add vegetables to the tartines: for example bread with soft goat cheese (in a plastic box, for example Chavroux) topped with tomato.
    Depending on budget and convenience, many now don't make their own "tartines/boterhammen" but buy sandwiches. Certainly a more expensive option, and difficult to know how many calories they contain.

For an alternative cold lunch, something I see colleagues do is make their own salads: they buy lettuce, bell peppers, tomatoes, avocado, mozzarella cheese, hummus,... and compose their salad at lunchtime (or beforehand), with some bread or crackers on the side. You could also buy precut vegetables or premade salads/taboulehs/... but again, that won't be a cheaper alternative.

Another thing we will often do (if the circumstances allow it) is bring leftovers from dinner the day before and heat those up for lunch.

Thank you for all of this! I love the tartines and am sad to replace the meats and cheeses as they are SO good. I definitely need to make more salads before hand (need to run to Action for containers first!)

Thanks for all of the ideas!
  • Jadellly
    Jadellly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Where are you based In Belgium Kali? Flanders, Wallonia or Brussels? What type of food are you missing ?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Substitute, at least while you're still learning the ropes and getting used to different foods. That's what I do when I want to try recipes but don't have the ingredients. I've made black bean dishes with any beans I had available. No jalapenos? Use other spicy peppers. I don't like spicy so I usually use Bulgarian peppers. My family uses serrano peppers because they're more common.

Sour cream (or creme fraiche, in our case, because my family likes it higher fat) is hard to come by here so we make more of it when are able to find it by adding a bit of the sour cream to a 50/50 (at most, usually less, more milk than that removes too much fattiness) mix of heavy cream and hot, but not scalding, whole milk (to help mix more evenly and to warm up the cream) and covering it with a cheesecloth in a warm place for up to 24 hours or so (may need longer if it's cold), mixing it every now and then to avoid clumpy fermentation. Very easy and low effort. The longer it stands the more it sours. When we can't find it, we usually just mix yogurt and a local kind of thickened cream. Those yogurt-type sour cream imitations you're finding may be good enough until you get your hands on a jar of real sour cream or creme fraiche (they have similar bacteria), then you can make a good amount out of that for cheaper.

Not sure about stuffing mix, we don't use stuffing, but is it possible to make it in big batches using a recipe on a weekend and store it in the freezer, or does it not freeze well? We do a lot "do it once eat for months" freezer prep, like grape leaves, green fava beans, certain greens in season...etc.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Check out Polish shops if you're looking for things like sour cream.

Stuffing mix is usually just breadcrumb and herbs so should be easy enough to make from scratch and freeze.

Also nothing wrong with carbs.

I do the bulk of my shopping in Aldi/Lidl, at the moment a lot of my meals are soups/stews/etc real cold weather comfort foods. Some of the stuff I've made recently:

Beetroot Hummus (Tin of chickpeas, couple of cloves of Garlic, Tahini, olive oil and 2 Cooked Beetroot blitzed) - good for stuffed pitta with Falafel.

Aubergine & Mushroom Soup (Couple of Shallots, Pack of Mushrooms, 3 Baked Aubergines(eggplant), 500ml Stock, 100ml Double Cream, Garlic & Black Pepper).

Chicken, Chorizo & Chickpea Stew (2 Tins of Chopped Tomatoes, 2 Tins of Chickpeas, 3-4 Chicken Thighs or Breasts diced, 200g Chorizo chopped, 250ml Red Wine and herbs & spices to taste - I like Garlic, Thyme and Black Pepper)

Steam Veg/rice bags can also be handy for lunches if you've access to a microwave.
  • 4nts
    4nts Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm based in Belgium too. How's everything going so far? Also where are you based in Belgium? :smile:

I am on a flexible diet but focus on protein intake because I weight lift, so even though I try to keep refined carbs to a minimum, I'm by no means "low carb" (tried, had no energy and was constipated because no fiber).
    But here are some ideas and tips anyways :smile:

For snacks I buy
    * YES! bars (they're a bit pricey but natural, healthy and tasty)
    * peanuts
    * Skyr or 0% fromage frais (higher in protein than regular yogurt) and add chia seeds (I buy them at action or Kruidvat - which are surprisingly both great options for cheaper health foods like goji berries, protein bars and konjac noodles) + frozen fruit (can buy anywhere but I like Delhaize's boxes) or fresh
    * very dark chocolate (it's Belgium after all)
    * hummus (Delhaize moroccan hummus is amazing) and precut vegetables

For lunch I buy
    * premade salads from lidl (chicken or tuna) or intermarché
    * premade Knorr soup
    * Aldi also has nice microwavable ready meals, especially their penne with ricotta and bacon which has good nutritional value, love their couscous salad with cranberry as well, and add deli chicken to that

Then dinner I can actually cook so I can be a bit more creative...

I go to the basic-fit gym which is pretty much a staple here, it's the cheapest and good bang for your buck.

Can I also please recommend that you start weight lifting? it's sooo good for you and addictive!
    I've always had stubborn fat in my lower body and that's only started to change once I started lifting regularly. Also I have nice definition in my arms, shoulders and back now. Try it!
  • kali31337
    Options
    @4nts I'm in Antwerp! It's been going pretty well and I'm learning to really love it here!

Thank you for all of our suggestions! I didn't know I could get chia seeds at Action!! That's great to know and I think I don't go there often enough! I'll have to try fromage frais because I just can't handle Skyr! I've seen the Moroccan hummus but I haven't tried it so i'll definitely check that out!

I am going to get a basic-fit membership but I'm about to have to pay full price for my yearly bus pass so it might have to wait a month or so. I was lifting when I lived back in the states and I can tell a difference now I'm relying on body weight workouts only at home. I'm also about to start biking (was waiting for health insurance!) since it's a great way to get around and well...it's Belgium and I can't admit to living here unless I bike!

Thank you!!
  • kali31337
    Options
    Jadellly wrote: »
    Where are you based In Belgium Kali? Flanders, Wallonia or Brussels? What type of food are you missing ?

I'm in Flanders. When I wrote this, I was really struggling and I think I'm finally adapting. The biggest things that I'm missing are actually the Mexican/southwest items which makes sense. I was just so used to eating a certain way and having such a variety of ingredients available to me.

If you know where I can find a spaghetti squash, that would be great :D
  • kali31337
    Options
    Substitute, at least while you're still learning the ropes and getting used to different foods. That's what I do when I want to try recipes but don't have the ingredients. I've made black bean dishes with any beans I had available. No jalapenos? Use other spicy peppers. I don't like spicy so I usually use Bulgarian peppers. My family uses serrano peppers because they're more common.

Sour cream (or creme fraiche, in our case, because my family likes it higher fat) is hard to come by here so we make more of it when are able to find it by adding a bit of the sour cream to a 50/50 (at most, usually less, more milk than that removes too much fattiness) mix of heavy cream and hot, but not scalding, whole milk (to help mix more evenly and to warm up the cream) and covering it with a cheesecloth in a warm place for up to 24 hours or so (may need longer if it's cold), mixing it every now and then to avoid clumpy fermentation. Very easy and low effort. The longer it stands the more it sours. When we can't find it, we usually just mix yogurt and a local kind of thickened cream. Those yogurt-type sour cream imitations you're finding may be good enough until you get your hands on a jar of real sour cream or creme fraiche (they have similar bacteria), then you can make a good amount out of that for cheaper.

Not sure about stuffing mix, we don't use stuffing, but is it possible to make it in big batches using a recipe on a weekend and store it in the freezer, or does it not freeze well? We do a lot "do it once eat for months" freezer prep, like grape leaves, green fava beans, certain greens in season...etc.

Oooh I haven't seen serranos but I'm such a wuss when it comes to new peppers so that's good to know about the Bulgarian ones. Where do you usually get them??

I've actually found sour cream here! Shout out to Albert Heijn!! But I really want to try and use your recipe!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    kali31337 wrote: »

Oooh I haven't seen serranos but I'm such a wuss when it comes to new peppers so that's good to know about the Bulgarian ones. Where do you usually get them??

I've actually found sour cream here! Shout out to Albert Heijn!! But I really want to try and use your recipe!

Bulgarian are basically bell pepper. Sorry about that. Serranos are slightly hotter than jalapenos, but I haven't eaten either, so can't exactly tell you if that's true. I don't live in Belgium, just wanted to share how I handle ingredient availability. Half the things people talk about here are either unavailable, only seasonally available, or only occasionally available at specialized shops. I often have to substitute a lot when I try recipes. I have never seen spaghetti squash in my life, for example! Or at least I think I haven't, I wouldn't recognize it even if I see it.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    We do get spaghetti squash here, it's not very common though. I've bought it in Delhaize, during the pumpkin season.
  • kali31337
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    We do get spaghetti squash here, it's not very common though. I've bought it in Delhaize, during the pumpkin season.

Oooh great to know! I'll look out for it this fall!