Skinny fat

Okay so currently I’m 50-60kg muscle and 17% body fat

So basically I have high fat and low muscle
I’ve heard so much conflicting info some people trainers saying low carb some saying high carb some saying carbs don’t matter even high carb moderate protein. I’m 72.3 kg currently

I went for a dexa scan that’s why I know my exact bf levels

So can anyone suggest how to get out of the skinny fat thing , I’m good at following diets consistently so don’t worry about suggesting anything. And training wise

The gym I just joined told me I have to keep my carbs higher then protein 188grams to be precise out of a 1800 calorie a day but they plan to up that when training starts , and also put me on 150 grams of protein ??

Replies

• oscarchange
    oscarchange Posts: 14 Member
    Sorry mike I’m going to have to disagree on that , my dexa scan clearly shows high fat percentage 60th percentile at 22% over all body fat including visceral

My muscle mass was on the 20th which was still low and so what I’m saying is how do I either keep the muscle mass and bring that body fat right down to say 10 my goal is 75kg at 10% body fat
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    From the American council on exercise:

l4inzsc7vcs9.jpg
  • oscarchange
    Ok so sorry mike I’m 21% my dexa scan shows
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Ok so sorry mike I’m 21% my dexa scan shows

That's still not high, it's average.
    If you are unhappy with your physique but don't really have weight to lose, eat at maintenance or a small surplus, get a reasonable amount of protein, and commit to a progressive strength training program.
    Unless your trainer is also an RD, they shouldn't be giving you diet advice.

Check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of the Bodybuilding and Maintenance forums here, lots of great info.
  • oscarchange
    So is high carb okay then , basically the in house nutritionist she was representing Briton for power lifting and also been in bakini model contest shape , she put me on high carb straight away :/ I’m like a bit dubious about it tbh
  • So is high carb okay then , basically the in house nutritionist she was representing Briton for power lifting and also been in bakini model contest shape , she put me on high carb straight away :/ I’m like a bit dubious about it tbh

1. Resistance training - get yourself on an established programme
    2. Protein should be .7 to 1 g per pound of body weight if you are a normal bmi.
    3. I dunno about the trainer. I would look at the stickies at the top of the weight gain/body building forum. If you want a decent book on diet and muscle building then try Eric helms muscle and strength training and nutrition pyramids. It’s a lot of info but worth the investment if you are interested in improving your physique.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    What is your height?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    High carb is fine, so long as it's not encroaching on your protein intake (which you'll need to build muscle). Why wouldn't it be? You also need to ensure that you're getting adequate fat - 0.35-0.45g per lb of body weight. Set your protein and fats as minimums, and let carbs fall where they may.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    How high are you inferring when you say high carb? Recommended daily levels fall anywhere between 45% and 65%.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,816 Member
    So is high carb okay then , basically the in house nutritionist she was representing Briton for power lifting and also been in bakini model contest shape , she put me on high carb straight away :/ I’m like a bit dubious about it tbh

Carbs don't really matter that much for the goals you mention. Get enough protein, because you need protein (plus a good progressive strength training program, performed consistently) to gain muscle. Don't eat excessive amounts of calories, because you'll gain much more fat than muscle.

It'd be smart on general terms (not specifically for your goals) to get overall good nutrition: To the above protein and calorie stuff, add sufficient fats, and plenty of varied, colorful veggies and fruits (which will bring some carbs with them). Good nutrition is important for health.

Once that's settled, any amount of carbs is fine. If you have more cravings with high carbs, eat lower carbs. If you have a flagging energy level with low carbs, eat more carbs. Those are pretty much the only way in which carbs matter, as long as you don't have some medical condition (like diabetes, for example) that makes them more important for you as an individual.
  • oscarchange
    Okay so I don’t need to worry about my body holding onto fat because I’m eating brown pasta as carbs ?? And do you
    Think carb cycling is a good option for me , I have a little muscle but I just want it to show more and to loose the face fat a bit and just look a little leaner. I’m on 1800 cals
    Atm

And thanks for the advice btw appreciate it , very helpful
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,816 Member
    Okay so I don’t need to worry about my body holding onto fat because I’m eating brown pasta as carbs ?? And do you
    Think carb cycling is a good option for me , I have a little muscle but I just want it to show more and to loose the face fat a bit and just look a little leaner. I’m on 1800 cals
    Atm

Once again, as several of us have said:

1. Well designed progressive strength training program, faithfully performed.
    2. Enough protein.
    3. Overall good nutrition.
    4. Patience.

In more or less that priority order. Well, I may've placed "patience" too low.

Are you doing all those things now? If not, don't worry about minor factors like carb cycling until you have those completely wired into your life. Major in the majors, save the minors for later, y'know?

You're possibly too lean already for a calorie deficit, even though you're fussed about fat (at a time when, though I don't know for sure, I suspect you'd maybe be better off focused on muscle). For sure, if you do run a deficit, it should be tiny.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited January 2020
    Atm

Stop focussing on the things that don't matter - get the big ticket items sorted out rather than worry about the colour of your pasta!
    It's hard to think of something that matters less......

Read Ann's list, implement it, track your progress, report back in a few months.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Atm

Stop focussing on the things that don't matter - get the big ticket items sorted out rather than worry about the colour of your pasta!
    It's hard to think of something that matters less......

Read Ann's list, implement it, track your progress, report back in a few months.

Agree with both of the above posts. Don't overthink it and get hung up on unimportant details. Focus on the fundamentals.