52 Year Old Female - Need to loose 50 pounds (AGAIN)

Options
Kboyd415
Kboyd415 Posts: 4
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hello - I am a mother of 4, a full time employee, a shorty (5'1.5") and 52. Would like to loose 50 pounds by my 53rd Birthday next April. Lost 32 last year using MFP only to gain back most of it. Setting goal lower this time. I'm on daily - like to mix it up and try new things. Was on here last year and had some great friends but got off and now restarting. Disqusted that I gained back most of what I lost and feel horrible. Anyone in the same catagory that wants to be friends? Add me!

Replies

• trishibles
    trishibles Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 51 and need to lose 50lbs so I hope you don't mind if I join you!
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 ... have more than 50 pounds to lose ... new to mfp but finding it's working so far ... have lost and regained more pounds in my lifetime than I care to admit. I'd be happy to join you.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I do have a question. I watched a program on BBC that addressed this issue. It appears that for a large number of people they lose weight in the first few months but the researcher stated something kicks in that causes them to eat it all back on again..

This pattern has been observed in studies on groups like weight watchers and other diets.

Did you track how long it took you put it back on after you lost? Did you lose too much in a short period of time or was the weight loss over a year. Did you go back to your old eating habits in the amount of food or type of food high in sugars?
  • cmatthews25
    Options
    im still on my weight loss journey, currently down 20 lbs and ive helped each of my parents lose 30 pounds apiece.. lets do this!! all it takes is the right support and the right habits.. :)
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    51yo, 5"4', lost 27lbs already, 25 more to go for PHASE I goal of 180. Ultimate weight goal >>> 146lbs.
  • amyloutoyou
    amyloutoyou Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I joined last month and after two weeks had an out of town visit and family emergency. Wearing my fitbit again today and getting started again. Happy to be friends with all. I'm 54 with lots to lose.
  • KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON
    KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I do have a question. I watched a program on BBC that addressed this issue. It appears that for a large number of people they lose weight in the first few months but the researcher stated something kicks in that causes them to eat it all back on again..

This pattern has been observed in studies on groups like weight watchers and other diets.

Did you track how long it took you put it back on after you lost? Did you lose too much in a short period of time or was the weight loss over a year. Did you go back to your old eating habits in the amount of food or type of food high in sugars?

^^^ good question and anxious to hear answers
  • Loves2stitch
    Loves2stitch Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I turned 50 in January and also have 50 pounds to lose i really want to do this it is a daily strggule i go and quit go and quit
    i struggle on what foods to eat

If anyone would like to be my friend please add me
  • Kboyd415
    Options
    In answer to your questions - I lost 32 pounds from approx. August 1st to December 1st of last year. Went to 3 Christmas parties and did really well until the last one, had cherry cheesecake for dessert, I even took a container with me to take home to my husband, told myself I'd have one bite and that turned into the whole thing and I took an empty container home. Something about that sugar kicked my motivation out of me and then hit the holidays and gained back about 5-10 there. Then in February I got sick with double ear infection that took it's toll for about 2 months and pop and ice cream went down really well when I felt sick, live in Iowa and we had a very long winter so by early summer was up about 15, then kept re-starting and would loose about 5 but didn't stay motivated and am now back up 24 of the 32 I lost. I'm feeling motivated again with the exception I have bronchitis so may be a little slow getting back into exercising. I'd say I went back to all my old habits of emotional eating, not exercising, and large quantities. Very much an emotional eater, when I'm happy, sad, bored. I'll splurge saying I'm starting again Monday and loose the 5 I gained on the splurge. It takes me about 3 weeks of being really good to get back into it - once I'm in the zone I'm really really good and can loose weight. I have to exercise to some degree and stay around 1200 calories to loose though.
  • FusionDancer13
    FusionDancer13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It takes 21 days on average to create a habit. Set a goal to stay on track for 21-30 days and make sure you take out the high calorie junk food out of the house! That will help so much not having the temptation. Try getting the Fiber One desserts; they have brownies, brownie cookies, and lemon bars--All delicious!

Remember: "What you eat in private you WILL wear in public".
  • Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily in the exact same boat but I do know how annoying it is to lose/regain/lose/regain vicious awful cycle!

Most of my ups and downs were the results of pregnancies (which as a mom of 4 you can relate!) Last one was the result of a broken ankle and too many social functions/lack of exercise!

I did really well maintaining my weight after I lost it after baby number 1, kept it off for almost 3 years (most of it anyway) and then pregnancy number 2 hit. Managed to lose most of that (had about 5 pounds to go that I never bothered to lose) before the ankle break.
  • zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    50 need to lose almost 40lbs. August to Dec is a very short time to lose that much weight . I'm sure you can do it again!
  • lapierrecyclist
    lapierrecyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely in the same boat. I'm 53 (will be 54 this fall). I've lost this weight several times before so I know I can do it again...but this time I plan to keep it off and NOT regain it. I'm about 5'4" and my top weight was 177 last year. This year I lost 19 lbs between January and April, then went off the rails at Easter and regained 12.

Now that summer is almost over and we are back home, I have started MFP again and also weightlifting at the gym 3x a week. So I am down another 3 lbs, for a total of 10 gone. Once my daughter is back in school, I will also start riding my bike. And I am determined that I will get through Halloween and Christmas without going off the rails again. Ideally I want to take off another 40 and get back to 127 (and be in shape).

I'd love to swap encouragement! Social eating and stress eating are my two biggest hurdles.
  • Kboyd415
    Options
    Great to hear the positive feed back on my first day back at it - helped keep me motivated to eat my carrot sticks and drink my water....long way to go! Ready to do this hopefully for the last time....
  • JudieJudes
    JudieJudes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me ... Ive lost 15 and would like to lose another 20 ish to get to Goal for March when I am the big 5 0 :flowerforyou:
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Hi, kboyd:)

Yesterday was my one year anniversary for beginning my fitness journey. I turned 50 in April. I'm a Mom of five and grandmother of two. My goal was to get fit and stay fit this time! I have been on many successful "diets" in my lifetime, but never really figured out how to maintain for more thank few years, at best. I decided before I started that this time had to be a genuine lifestyle change.

I was at my highest weight ever last summer and had really reached a low point in my life. My original goal was to lose about 65 lbs. I have been able to lose 89 and am currently working on maintenance (although I am considering trying to lose another 1/2 lb so I can weigh 125).

We "more mature" ladies CAN lose the weight and keep it off! Wishing you great success in your journey.
This discussion has been closed.