Pilates?

Options
I was thinking about trying pilates. But not sure where to start. Does it lengthen and build lean muscle? That’s what I’m looking for. Does anyone know of a good you tuber I can do pilates workout to? Thks

Replies

• melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Gaiam has a youtube channel and most of the stuff they put out us pretty decent. Pilates focuses generally in flexibility and core ... but it depends on the routine. some do strength others cardio. based originally on yoga, pilates is...well, flexible.
  • klund13
    klund13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I recommend Blogilates on YouTube!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,540 Member
    Options
    I’m going to give a plug for organized mat classes for several reasons.

If left to my own devices, I would do a video, skip the hard parts, and eventually just not do a video at all. In a class, you can’t do that. And if you buy a package of classes, there’s financial motivation to use them up.

Pilates can be done wrong, or it can be done right. If done wrong, you get very little out of it, and can risk hurting yourself. For example, there’s a wrong and right way to do roll ups, and most beginners (including me, when I started) fall prey to the obvious impulses to throw your chest and shoulders forward to roll up, rather than relying on abdominal strength. A good instructor should notice and correct on the spot, demonstrate and explain the difference between wrong and right, and provide alternatives to beginners, something a video can’t do. The great thing about studio mat classes is modifications- options for beginners to make moves a little easier til they can build strength,

Once you gain strength, a good instructor will give instructions to make the various moves harder, to build on even more strength. Instructors at my studio are great about this, with modifications for beginners, and second and third degree options for the rest of us.

I’ve done yoga for years, Pilates for a little over a year, and weight training for almost a year. I can very clearly see how the moves, stretches and conditioning learned in one, affect - and improve- the others.

A lot of yoga studios offer mat Pilates classes, too. My studio offers an “unlimited class” package for yoga and Pilates for $100 a month. I get my money’s worth and then some, and then some more. :smile:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    lillypade wrote: »
    I was thinking about trying pilates. But not sure where to start. Does it lengthen and build lean muscle? That’s what I’m looking for. Does anyone know of a good you tuber I can do pilates workout to? Thks

Lengthening muscle isn't really a thing (I know I hear that all the time too). The most efficient way to build muscle is eat slightly above maintenance calories, get adequate protein, and use a structured (progressive) lifting program. So, don't plan on building (much, if any muscle)......but you will gain strength and control. I love pilates but use DVDs mostly.

Favorite instructors I've found on YouTube: Ana Caban, Jessica Smith, and Ellen Barrett.

• lillypade
    lillypade Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    @springlering62 I would love to do a class but unfortunately there is no place around that does anything like that. Unless I want to drive an hour away. And I don’t. Thanks for the info. When I do other workouts I am aware of what muscles I’m working brain and muscle connection I believe in. Thanks for the info
  • lillypade
    lillypade Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    @TeaBea thanks for the suggestions I will definitely look into them.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the question - I was thinking the same thing. @springlering62 - is there a reason you suggest mat vs a reformer class? I’m new to Pilates and considering the neighborhood options. Club Pilates (a bit pricey) or mat classes at gym (crowded, heard there’s no form correction).
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I have done Pilates for several years. For me Pilates is amazing and it's a big part of my fitness routine.

I have a Reformer in my home gym and I use it many times as part as my cool down or I'll do a full workout and focus on my core and flexibility. I find the Reformer stretches and hits different areas of my body in ways other workouts can't.

I use full workouts on Youtube or freestyle depending on how I'm feeling/what I'm working on for the day.

Checkout AngieFitnessTV on Youtube for Mat or standing Pilates workouts. She has tons of workouts so I'd recommend typing in Pilates in the search box on her page. I did one over the weekend using light handweights and it was great!

Good luck!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    @rainbow198 thanks for the ideas, I've been meaning to get back to Pilates for ages so its good to get another suggestion for workout on youtube. :smile:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I'm wanting to get into pilates as well. I'd prefer to go to classes but I'm not willing to spend the kind of money you need to spend in order to do that. Even $100 a month is too much for me. So far I've tried Blogilates on youtube and fitness blender.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,540 Member
    Options
    @CeeBeeSlim my studio offers reformer but the classes are expensive. I have an unlimited membership for yoga/Pilates I try to take advantage of, and already have a wonderful weight trainer at another gym and just prefer to spend the money on her than Reformer.

However, our mat instructor is very knowledgeable and also teaches reformer classes. She very specifically says she tries to recreate the reformer experience as much as possible on the mat.

She does do form corrections and will demonstrate them as well as does hands on assists if people are having trouble understanding what they should feel.

On the flip side, classes have been absolutely jammed since Christmas, so none of the instructors are really having time or even room to pick their way between mats til things die down in a week or two.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    @rainbow198 thanks for the ideas, I've been meaning to get back to Pilates for ages so its good to get another suggestion for workout on youtube. :smile:

Awesome! I hope it goes well for you! :)