Frustrated, even furious

Options

Replies

• pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have been following this thread (I know, I'm a glutton for punishment) and I still don't know what the OP is looking for.

She directly asked if your body ever adjusts to starvation mode and allows you to continue to lose weight (on two occasions, that I can recall). And since most people here don't advocate (nay, abhor) starvation, I'm not sure she's going to get that answer from us :)

I would still want to know.
    What happens if you keep going like that - eating in such a way that you are always slightly hungry?

I would suggest talking to a nutritionist. From what I've read in just the 3 minutes of researching to see if there was even an answer, if you truly put your body into a starvation mode, you will lose weight (slowly, because your metabolism slows down) but it will get to a point where you lose all the fat that your body will let go of (it keeps some for storage, always) and you will start losing muscle; in which case then you will stop losing weight.

Also if you intend to stick to a very low calorie diet, please get your blood work checked regularly!

Seek a nutritionist. And a therapist :)
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have found that with the many cooked-from-scratch foods I eat it is simply not practical to calculate how may calories my portion represents. I don't eat food that comes from labeled packages and for me it would just take way, way to long to figure out exactly how many calories a certain bite has.

I am also a full time working mom and I cook mostly from scratch as well. I log. I work out 5 days a week for at least an hour.

I bet you don't cook something new EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Most people have 10-20 dishes that they rotate through 80% of the time. I measure and weigh the first time I make something then enter it into the database.

IF you are creating new dishes every single day, stop it. It's not a good use of your time. Better to get yourself on a rotation, eat leftovers, etc, and take time to figure out what you are putting in your body and why you are so hungry.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options

Oh am sorry, but I have rarely read such a sleazy straw-man of an argument.

Intensively working out 4-6 times a week is "looking for way to have the perfect body without exercising?".

You have lost pretty much any trace of credibility your posts were still preserving.

With all due respect, at your calorie level there's absolutely no way you're working out 'intensively'.

She has NO IDEA what her calorie intake is. She' probably doesn't time her workout sessions either. She's like the woman driving down the highway with no speedometer and a blanket over her windshield, and she's getting upset because she keeps crashing.

I call TROLL on her. Sayonara, Troll. You should change your username to Wisdomescapesme.
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options

To answer your starvation question, if you continue to eat at a deficit, yes, eventually you will lose weight. But it will not be fat. Others here have already told you that losing muscle includes losing HEART muscle. And people can and do die of it. It was a long long time ago, but you may have heard of Karen Carpenter. She is just the most visible example of this.

This...

losing weight is not the only goal, it's losing FAT and by starving you are losing more than fat. That's what a lot of people don't understand...
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    NeverCatchYourBreath Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    FOR ME - and again, I emphasize FOR ME!! - calorie counting is not just impractical and time consuming (yes, I have tried it on this very site and it is very time consuming), but also psychologically unhealthy. I do not want to obsess over a specific "food journey" or "weight loss" journey every day.

Fixed it for ya.
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    OP, when you have to resort to rewriting parts of your OP to mesh with your later claims, you might want to sit back and chill a moment. Have a cuppa joe, walk around the house in your slip on shoes, do anything but bang on the keyboard. You went from exercising randomly when you had time to now exercising 4-5 times a week, intensively[sic].
  • Outwardlycalm
    Outwardlycalm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I hated writing down what I ate. I knew I wasn't eating too much but wasn't losing weight. So I started entering the meals I ate. Turns out I wasn't eating nearly enough and my body was in starvation mode ALL the time. I'm not exact about it but I enter everything I eat now. Also found out I was eating way too many carbs and not enough protein. With a few changes, the weight is slowly but steadily coming off. Exercise is my main focus now. With two bad knees and a bad back that is the challenge. Even when I have the energy I have to be careful not to overdo so I don't end up on the couch. Haha. Good luck and give the log a chance.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    This is how it is! A good majority of these people on here know what they are talking about. The ones that are giving you advice that you fail to take and believe it is criticism. Counting calories are not your thing....we get it. Well stay above the slighty hunger phase that everyone is warning you about and you will be fine.

You are eating way to low of calories and you would like the know what happens when the body stays in starvation mode.....Plain and simple YOU will get sick eventually. Today...Tomorrow....next week.....you will fatigue and other complications will follow.

Don't ask for advice if you are not going to take it. If you are one of those people who learn from experience, then don't say we did not warn you.
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have found that with the many cooked-from-scratch foods I eat it is simply not practical to calculate how may calories my portion represents. I don't eat food that comes from labeled packages and for me it would just take way, way to long to figure out exactly how many calories a certain bite has.

Sorry, but I hardly eat anything from a package, and I almost always make everything from scratch and I still enter every freaking single ingredient, and oil for baking, into MFP. It's really not that difficult. And if you make certain things more than once, you can save them as recipes with portions.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    also - eating ethnic food is as terrible excuse to not log. I am Indian and i eat a lot of obscure foods that aren't in the database. The thing is, the ingredients ARE. So, you use the recipe builder to construct what you're eating.

The fact that you are nibbling so much in between tiny meals is probably what is doing you in. each of those bites is going to be 100-200 calories; my guess is that you are eating closer to 2000 than 1000.

I used to insist that I had a terrible metabolism, and that I'd gain on more than 1500. I had my metabolism tested and found that my TDEE is around 2700. I just had to wake up and face the music, I was eating far more than I realized. I logged diligently and have been successful.

I am also a full time working mom and I cook mostly from scratch as well. I log. I work out 5 days a week for at least an hour.

I bet you don't cook something new EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Most people have 10-20 dishes that they rotate through 80% of the time. I measure and weigh the first time I make something then enter it into the database.

IF you are creating new dishes every single day, stop it. It's not a good use of your time. Better to get yourself on a rotation, eat leftovers, etc, and take time to figure out what you are putting in your body and why you are so hungry.
  • wisdomfromyou
    wisdomfromyou Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    To be honest with you, everything that I have read here, particularly the habit of daily calorie logging and the belief that unless you know every little number attached to every little bite - you are on your way to anorexia, metabolic shut down, getting morbidly obese, or even death ...sounds like a clear prescription for weight-related obsession.

As you can see, I come to this forum very rarely because I don't care about THINKING of my weight loss every day. So I am not sure who is closer to "obsessive behavior". Neither do I have epic goals related to weight loss, lookin' good, breaking the weight bars at the gym, working out "truly intensively" as opposed to "intensively"... or acquiring Madonna type arms.

I mentioned the two pounds that come back up because I noticed this is what happens every time I eat a bit more - and it is indeed very annoying.

Maybe that IS water after all, as some mentioned. I will see next week when I weigh in.

Otherwise, arguing that I should have done calorie counting instead of spending time arguing here is a pretty weak argument as I definitely do not plan on being on this discussion forum every day.
    Calorie logging IS a daily task though. You would think this would be self-explanatory but looks like not.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options

I call TROLL on her. Sayonara, Troll.

Was starting to think the same thing honestly. With all the science out there (not bro-science but REAL science) I can't imagine anyone just simply not eating and expecting results...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I have been following this thread (I know, I'm a glutton for punishment) and I still don't know what the OP is looking for.

She directly asked if your body ever adjusts to starvation mode and allows you to continue to lose weight (on two occasions, that I can recall). And since most people here don't advocate (nay, abhor) starvation, I'm not sure she's going to get that answer from us :)

I would still want to know.
    What happens if you keep going like that - eating in such a way that you are always slightly hungry?

I would suggest talking to a nutritionist. From what I've read in just the 3 minutes of researching to see if there was even an answer, if you truly put your body into a starvation mode, you will lose weight (slowly, because your metabolism slows down) but it will get to a point where you lose all the fat that your body will let go of (it keeps some for storage, always) and you will start losing muscle; in which case then you will stop losing weight.

Also if you intend to stick to a very low calorie diet, please get your blood work checked regularly!

Seek a nutritionist. And a therapist :)

Here: this is the Holy Grail for which you have been searching.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options

1. You don't want to count calories

Correct.
    2. You can't make time for exercise

Are you serious? Where did you get this from?

I already am exercising 4-5 times a week, sometimes even 6 times - and quite intensively. There's no room for MORE or more INTENSIVELY - this is what I meant.

By the way, the idea that time is "MADE" has limits. I can be expected to MAKE TIME for extra exercise, just like I am expected to MAKE TIME for extra projects and accomplishments at work, just like I am expected to MAKE TIME for helping children with their academics and to volunteer at their school, just like I am expected to MAKE TIME to cook from scratch, just like I am expected to MAKE TIME for reasonable bed hour. You can only make PRIORITIES out of so many tasks.
    When you try to make PRIORITIES out of too many things, some of them will simply no longer be priorities.
    3. You don't seem to want to hear that a 2 pound fluctuation is perfectly normal DAY BY DAY even

I heard loud and clear...but that still doesn't explain the fact that I haven't lost any more weight.
    How CAN we help?

The purpose of the initial post was to be able to:

1. rant

2. get some extra tips/ideas besides counting calories.

3. Find out what happens if I continue to do what I have been doing. Will the weight eventually come off even if my body goes into thermogenesis or my metabolism becomes slow?

Then cut back on the exercise, so you have more time to focus on food-which is what has the most affect on weight loss. There are many, including myself, who have lost the weight without doing any exercise-it REALLY is about the calories. Also, 'intuitive' eating is something most people cannot successfully do for weight loss. There's a process that you must go through, in order for you to become in tune with your body's cues. I'm doing it now, but I'm in maintenance and have been learning to listen to my body for almost a year. No way in heck would I have been able to do it during weight loss and lost any weight. Now I eat intuitively, and I eat when hungry and stop when full. I also never go hungry. But, I still make very specific food choices that I know will be filling for longer lengths of time, that are also less calorie dense. I've also cut out lots of things that don't fit that criteria for me, like meat and dairy. I don't count calories, but I've learned how to truly listen to my body (which means I eat when I'm really hungry and never deprive myself and I stop when I am truly full), and I also have a healthy relationship with my scale and realize that I will have bounces and whooshes-the kind of relationship you obviously do not have.

It seems like you're trying to skip process of losing weight and go right to maintenance. It doesn't work that way. Take a step back, reevaluate your priorities and make it work for you.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    also - eating ethnic food is as terrible excuse to not log. I am Indian and i eat a lot of obscure foods that aren't in the database. The thing is, the ingredients ARE. So, you use the recipe builder to construct what you're eating.
    Thank you for posting this! I am saving this, because I see it with alarming frequency. Like there's something magical about Indian food as compared to the rest of the world's cuisine. I mean, apart from being extra crazy delicious, of course!:laugh:
  • wisdomfromyou
    wisdomfromyou Posts: 198 Member
    Options

Oh am sorry, but I have rarely read such a sleazy straw-man of an argument.

Intensively working out 4-6 times a week is "looking for way to have the perfect body without exercising?".

You have lost pretty much any trace of credibility your posts were still preserving.

The intensity of work-outs depends on each person.
    What's intensive for me is not going to be intensive for Serena Williams, no?

With all due respect, at your calorie level there's absolutely no way you're working out 'intensively'.
  • acheno45
    acheno45 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is always so frustrating when the scales stop but the hunger does not. I have found that increases and tracking your water intake helps a lot. If the fluid intake does not help you take off a few more pounds, perhaps you should consider the types of food you do eat and increase your fiber intake, as well as the amount of sugar you eat. High fructose corn syrup and sugar are hidden in many items that you would not even think of as sweet. I know its a pain , but closely look at the ingredient list in the foods you buy - even the organic stuff. Another thing you may consider is that , you have cut your calories so sharp that your body is actually in starvation mode and you need to eat more food, mainly water dense fruits and veggies. If you have time to google or read while you are
    getting the children to their next activity, look at a diabetic diet . Hope this helps you .
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I began a relatively dramatic lifestyle change back in May after a health scare (a small fibroid). After a couple of years of serious stress and stress-based over-eating, my weight had reached an all-time high at 194 lbs for 5'7". Since May I lost about about 29 lbs mainly by eating nice and "clean" (cooked from scratch, 99% non-processed foods, many organic), reducing portion sizes and exercising 4-5 times a week. During the first month, I remember eating very little because I had zero appetite because of the scare. Then I calmed down a little bit, my appetite came back and I began eating a bit more - but still quite little, always abstaining from more.

Per books, I have achieved a reasonable weight loss rate - but by doing what? The trouble is that I am ALWAYS in a state of hunger period.

I noticed that the ONLY way for me to lose ANY weight at ANY time is to seriously under-eat relative to what my appetite would ideally want. As in serious "calorie reduction".

If I have only one day of more decent eating, as in feeling my stomach reasonably full - I pile two pounds back in a heartbeat.

I do not count calories because it seems like a tremendous waste of time for me. I do, however, have very good understanding of nutrition in general, of calories per various portions, I know very well what foods are higher in calories - and I simply approximate. Generally speaking, I let myself be guided by my stomach.

I try to eat only when I am clearly hungry, I eat little portions and eat them slowly (savor them) and I stop way before I am close to feeling truly satisfied and full. As long as I do this, I lose weight - at a snail's pace, but the loss is steady.

As soon as I deviate just a bit from doing this - the scale goes up a couple of pounds.
    This week I had two days of slightly less-than-orthodox eating (orthodoxy for me being what I described above). One day I ate a little extra at a department meeting at work (don't imagine any sort of serious overeating!!) and two days after that, husband and I went out for sushi and a coffee with a bit of cream on top...and bamm!! - two ponds gained this week, as if I had committed I don't know what kind of nutritional murder.

I just wonder whether I am doomed to a life of hunger and constant abstinence - Africa style.

As soon as I eat around 1200-1500 or a bit more calories ( more like normal people do on a daily basis), not only do I stop losing weight, but I immediately see two pounds piled back up in a heartbeat.

I cannot get any more disciplined than I already am: eating clean, eating little, and exercising. The fact that I am squeezing in a few exercising sessions a week is a miracle in and of itself given that I am a professional woman with a demanding career, two children with heavy school-related demands and needs, and a full cook-from-scratch schedule.

So exercising more, or harder, or eating even less is simply NOT an option.

I have at least 20 more pounds to shed to reach my ideal weight (around 142-144 lbs) and I just don't think I can do this much longer. Maybe just the fear of not having that fibroid grow could continue to keep me going like this.

I am just frustrated and I needed to rant - and to say that yes, yes, yes I am JEALOUS of all those skinny people who either eat to their heart's content or whose heart's content requires so little that munching on two salad leaves always seems to be just the right amount for them.

Briefly, I am tired of depriving myself when my body just darn wants FOOD, GOOD FOOD (carbs included!) - and not little, for that matter.
    Where's a "pull my hair our" emoticon when you need one. :-(

Then quit depriving yourself and give your body the GOOD FOOD it wants. But I think you know that.

Are you afraid that by feeding your body adequately, you will also be feeding the fibroid?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Otherwise, arguing that I should have done calorie counting instead of spending time arguing here is a pretty weak argument as I definitely do not plan on being on this discussion forum every day.
    Calorie logging IS a daily task though. You would think this would be self-explanatory but looks like not.
    You can log calories without coming to the discussion forum. I did for months. Nobody said it wasn't a daily task to log your food. Just that it's the most expedient path to troubleshooting your "problem".
    To be honest with you, everything that I have read here, particularly the habit of daily calorie logging and the belief that unless you know every little number attached to every little bite - you are on your way to anorexia, metabolic shut down, getting morbidly obese, or even death ...sounds like a clear prescription for weight-related obsession.

As you can see, I come to this forum very rarely because I don't care about THINKING of my weight loss every day.

Alrighty. Good luck then.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

I know what you mean. I've tried to think of something to add that hasn't been said already.

Log your calories
    I cook from scratch most days - use the recipe calculator.
    Cheer up, I was diagnosed with lots of fibroids a decade or so ago. Still here without treatment. As someone else said, they're VERY common. Don't worry!
    Unload some of the extra stuff that's stressing you, or get help if you can't.