When should I step on the scale? I’m scared 😱

Options
2»

Replies

• shetland
    shetland Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm in the minority and do it only once every three weeks or so while I am losing. I found that I had a really hard time not getting discouraged when I had a really great week and the scale did not reflect all my hard work. Once every three weeks was a nice way to guarantee the numbers would move. In between weighing, I try I really reflect on how I feel physically, mentally and how my clothes fit. That's what helps me. Everyone is different and you will find what works for you and what you are comfortable with.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Weekly under the same conditions. When I had a scale, it was every Saturday morning right after my morning pee. Now it's every Friday evening at the gym
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I do a little bit of all of the above. I like to weigh every day first thing after I use the rest room, BUT if I know i might not be in the mood to take any bad news or if it has been a bad day the day before than I know to skip the scale and wait a day or five. Self police your attitude about weighing in, know thy self enough to say "hay not today" or "Heck yea I wanna know today".

Yes the weight fluctuates soooo much depending on reasons, so the best thing I feel one can do is be aware of this and to always take that into consideration!

Look for that comfortable time scale that plays well with you!

Just my thought <3 Wilt

This is great advice!

• mydogisthebestdogever
    Options
    I will.only be weighing myself once a month and it will be on the last day of my womans cycle. That's the day I weigh the lowest and all my water weight I hold onto all month is finally gone. I used to weigh daily but those plateaus for 2 and 3 weeks were rough so I figured out what works best for me.
  • preciouslove1
    preciouslove1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Week 2 and I gained a pound! How in the heck could this have happened? I lost 11 lbs in week 1. This is ridiculous. I’ve been working out 5 days and staying below 30 carbs daily.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily. First thing in the morning after voiding for consistency.

Doing this for the past 5 years helped me realize what to expect and establish a causal relationship to food/activity.

Understanding the math behind it took away the fear.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Week 2 and I gained a pound! How in the heck could this have happened? I lost 11 lbs in week 1. This is ridiculous. I’ve been working out 5 days and staying below 30 carbs daily.

Did you read all the comments in this thread about fluctuations and how weight loss isn't linear? You had a massive drop in water weight your first week, this is likely just your body equilibriating, or some other water weight fluctuation in the opposite direction. You lost 10 lb in two weeks, that's great.

Example, this is my weight loss graph from Trendweight for the past few weeks, all over the place, but overall heading in the direction I want it to:

hlbmjjrr1t75.png
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Oh and that missing day last week (pale diamond) is where I shot up nearly 2 lbs. Ovulation bloat, and it was gone by the next day.
  • preciouslove1
    preciouslove1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Excellent progress Nony_Mouse! I’m trying to stay the course and stay motivated. My husband is hiding the scale for a few weeks. Can’t promise I will not go looking but I’ll try to stop...
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,908 Member
    Options
    I use to be a monthly weigh-er......but now I am a weekly weigh-er
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Excellent progress Nony_Mouse! I’m trying to stay the course and stay motivated. My husband is hiding the scale for a few weeks. Can’t promise I will not go looking but I’ll try to stop...

I totally understand how frustrating it is. Even when you know it's perfectly normal fluctuations. Don't think for a moment that I wasn't getting exceedingly annoyed with that 9-10 days of bouncing up and down the same few hundred grams :D We all have our own thoughts on whether we prefer daily, weekly, or even monthly weighing, and part of that is definitely being able to cope with those day to day fluctuations. Trending apps really help with smoothing those out, so you can see that even if the scale says you're up, your trend line is going down.

Patience, patience, patience. If you know you're doing everything right, trust the process :)