Personal Trainer Experience

Options
Has anyone used a personal trainer before? I signed up for 3 sessions at my gym to just try it out. I think it would be great to have some extra guidance other than the internet and what I think I should be going. I know I can go this on my own as I have already proved but thought it would be good to get some in person advice.

So what do you all think about personal trainers? Any luck with them, positive feedback, advice or issues?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Just like any profession, there are good ones and bad ones. Many have been immersed in bro-science to the Nth degree and will have you doing all kinds of silly nonsense that is basically a waste of time...others are very good at what they do. Also many PTs have a certain way of going about things that may or may not jive with your particular goals...i.e. if you want to train for strength and power, don't bother with a PT who is a body builder...contract with a PT who is passionate about power lifting and strength training.
  • petergarcia82
    petergarcia82 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to talk with them and let them know my goals before I choose a trainer.
  • ezconklin
    Options
    I had an awesome experience about 15 years ago (yikes!). What made it so great was I only met with her once a week for an hour. We'd do a circuit, she'd correct my positions, etc and then leave me with a plan to do for the week we were apart. I kept up with my work outs for the week because I didn't want to tell her I hadn't done it, and she'd notice my strength change too. It was a much more budget friendly way to keep a personal trainer around for a lot longer period. Plus I saw terrific results.