What motivates you?

tatemegan
tatemegan Posts: 1
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I lack motivation. I definitely want to lose weight, I definitely want to look good, but I cant seem to understand why I can't pull through. I don't know if its my poor self discipline or my impatience. How do you get through it? What advice can you give me? How did you successfully start off?

Replies

• Well, I'm definitely an "all or nothing" kind of person, so I went from not working out and eating unhealthy food to working out daily, and eating healthy food literally from one day to the next, and I've kept it up for the last seven months, and have seen great improvements.

My main motivation is my health. Prior to getting fit, I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, and I was borderline obese. I had headaches all the time, and low energy. I don't have those problems anymore, and the results of my last physical were immaculate. That's why I did this.

Yes, others do find me aesthetically pleasing, but I did this for me and one of the few things that are truly important in life, when it comes right down to it...my health.

I'm also in San Antonio. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Keeping one step ahead of the grim reaper.......(men in my family have a tradition of dying young from heart disease)
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    I surround myself with others who are motivation .. on here.
    When I feel like a slug, I read therir updates and sometimes
    explore the success stories. There really is an abundant
    amount of motivation right here. Also Pinterest has a section
    if you type 'fitness motivation', it will help with the push.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    I tend to get motivated when I see some of my gym-mates working harder!

funny-pictures-auto-girls-boobs-366532.jpeg

:love: :love: :love:
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    I just want to look good naked. I'm getting there, slowly but surely. I have liked a crap ton of fitness pages on facbook. So my fb wall is generally covered with women that are way out of my league, and guys that make me look scrawny and skinny-fat. My motivation is looking in the mirror and not seeing a body analogous to those.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    I don't want to settle for mediocrity, which is generally the easy option.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    I actually benefit from how I feel mentally day-to-day. Logging food helped me see how days where I ate certain foods or a certain amount correlated to days where I felt lethargic, unmotivated, or depressed -- or how on days when I felt great, were days where I focused on getting enough water, better eating habits, et cetera.

The control I feel when logging food helps me want to do even better, exercise, so on and so forth. It's not foolproof. Some days I just don't. But I enjoy it more than I don't.
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    I feel you, I recently started to get serious about being healthy, my physical was immaculate, but my body is kindda very flabby. So I finally mustered motivation when I joined MFP, I have fallen off the wagon many times, this time it's working. Ultimately, once I took body shots, it hit me hard, I'm flabbier than I thought, an eye opener for sure.
    So that's my motivator. I also constanlty seek out fitness stories and that keeps me motivated as well.
    A big one, I started to surround myself with motivating and inspiring people, Im moving away from haters and lazy people as much as I can.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    I lack motivation. I definitely want to lose weight, I definitely want to look good, but I cant seem to understand why I can't pull through. I don't know if its my poor self discipline or my impatience. How do you get through it? What advice can you give me? How did you successfully start off?

Start by pre-logging everything. Try and put your brain on auto-pilot and do what needs to be done without overthinking it (easier said than done, I know!). Tell youself to get through just one week and if that's too hard work on getting through just one day and go from there. Remind yourself that the beginning is always the hardest and if you fall off track just get back up and keep going.

Also, I've lost and then gained weight so many times in the past that this time around I learned I need something more to keep me going aside from a number on the scale which is why I took up running. It gave me something to focus on so that when my weight fluctuates (and it does every single day), I still have the motivation to keep going. Weight loss isn't my focus anymore, it's become the by-product of something I learned to love.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Start by pre-logging everything. Try and put your brain on auto-pilot and do what needs to be done without overthinking it (easier said than done, I know!). Tell youself to get through just one week and if that's too hard work on getting through just one day and go from there. Remind yourself that the beginning is always the hardest and if you fall off track just get back up and keep going.

This too ^^!!

Now off to strength train. :bigsmile:
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    I get motivated by the people I work out with at Crossfit and seeing what people are doing on my fl
This discussion has been closed.