How to reach reccommended protein level!

Replies

• alexandravictoria88
    alexandravictoria88 Posts: 138 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Typo !!! I meant to say 150g of protein!!! Eeek :s

But to answer everyones questions I have started training with a personal trainer and she has recommended i eat 1650kcal with 4 to 5 days of training.

Its 150g ..yep defo 150g lol of protein
    180g of carbs and 40g of fat

My weight is 59kgs and im 159cm tall :)

Think you should quiz your PT.

A common recommendation is 1g per pound of estimated lean mass (everything excluding bodyfat).
    Up to 1g per pound isn't uncommon (especially if training hard, especially if in a calorie deficit).
    Over 1g per pound of bodyweight really is getting into the realms of declining (if any) benefit for most people.

150g is very high for someone who weighs just under 130lbs and if it's causing you to struggle to eat an enjoyable diet I would challenge the value or need of such a high amount.

Thanks for the reply. Will defo ask her.. i do a lot of weight training this could be the reason why. Ive always struggled to get a lot of protein in to be honest, i love my food its just hitting the correct macros.
  • alexandravictoria88
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Understand that the reason people are pushing back a little is because you are struggling. The source of your struggle is likely a overly high protein goal. I eat more protein than I need but it is not a struggle for me. I tend to run moderate carb and lowish fat so my protein ends up being higher.

Well, that and she stated in a recent thread that she was eating 1200-1400 calories and had suffered an eating disorder plus she had a certain amount of freak-out involved with trying to balance macros.

The reason for your post is what exactly.. i asked for more protein ideas not for someone to post everything negative ive gone through...
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    150 is still quite high. For reference I aim for 1.8 to 2.0 times my mass which puts me at 108-136g protein for 68kg mass, which I hit pretty easily on 1700 cal diet.

To answer your question, whey protein is an easy source. Seitan can also be a low cal dense source of protein. There is also tuna and chicken breasts. Egg whites are easy to add into things like egg whites and smothies and such as well.
  • alexandravictoria88
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Understand that the reason people are pushing back a little is because you are struggling. The source of your struggle is likely a overly high protein goal. I eat more protein than I need but it is not a struggle for me. I tend to run moderate carb and lowish fat so my protein ends up being higher.

Well, that and she stated in a recent thread that she was eating 1200-1400 calories and had suffered an eating disorder plus she had a certain amount of freak-out involved with trying to balance macros.

The reason for your post is what exactly.. i asked for more protein ideas not for someone to post everything negative ive gone through...

Well trying to hit 180g protein on 1200 calories was going to be a pretty tough battle.

I'm glad you figured it out. Really, 150 is still too high.

And the eating disorder thing is important, you said it, and it's a factor. Eating disorders tend to become black or white, Eat This but Never That, Do XXX amount of exercise every day, Eat Exactly THIS in order to be perfect, all kinds of extreme thinking - and it's a factor.

I just think it's good to take the whole person into consideration when making recommendations - nothing more. No judging. I started at 220 pounds as a 5'7" woman, I got no room to judge. I had a lot of extreme beliefs, found even more of them along the way to lose that weight and - it's a factor.

Thank you, yes its been a long battle for me. Im doing ok at the momment, we shall see how it does. I am sure i will learn lots more along the way too. X
  • alexandravictoria88
    cathipa wrote: »

But to answer everyones questions I have started training with a personal trainer and she has recommended i eat 1650kcal with 4 to 5 days of training.

That's still a ridiculous amount of protein for your stats or in general. Did she say why this amount and how she came up with this number?

To be honest no, shes the professional im not so haven't questioned her. I may just mention that i am struggling to have that much protein throughout the day.. i can defo eat the carbs though lol
  • alexandravictoria88
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

At your weight, 150 grams still seems high...just making expensive glucose.

Pretty good article...

https://www.t-nation.com/supplements/tip-science-discovers-how-much-protein-you-need
    What This Means to You
    If you're a lifter, you need more than the RDA, a lot more. But based on Morton's meta-analysis, taking more than 1.62 grams per kilogram of bodyweight a day probably won't lead to any additional growth. That 1.62 grams/kilogram, converted to pounds, looks like the following:

110 grams a day for a 150-pound lifter.
    147 grams a day for a 200-pound lifter.
    166 grams a day for a 225-pound lifter.

Thanks for that :)
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Once you figure out the right amount of protein to take in, if you aren't a vegan, shrimp is a really good way to hit protein goals. It's not too high in calories and has a great amount of protein in it. Soybeans are a great source of protein as well, and they are vegan/vegetarian approved.
  • alexandravictoria88

That's still a ridiculous amount of protein for your stats or in general. Did she say why this amount and how she came up with this number?

To be honest no, shes the professional im not so haven't questioned her. I may just mention that i am struggling to have that much protein throughout the day.. i can defo eat the carbs though lol

You are paying her so always ask questions. Unless she has a formal education in nutrition most personal trainers are not equipt to be giving nutrition advice.

Problem is theres so much information out there on what i should and shouldn't eat or how many calories and macros etc.. its all too confusing for me and can get a disheartened by it all. Hence why i asked a professional to help me.
  • alexandravictoria88
    Everyone has been saying even 150g is too high..then what is my ideal amount of protein?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    ^^Yep, @lemurcat2