Does walking (fast pace) really count as exercise?

Options
Hi!

If i cannot do anything else (for example lunch break at work) I go walking (fast pace, around 3.5 mph). Today I walked in total around 10 km, yesterday too, all in that pace. It says I should count around 200-220 kcal burned per hour of this exercise (i also check this with GSP tracker Runtastic).

My question is: as it comes so easy to me, DOES IT COUNT as exercise?

After work i try to run 5 km three times per week and in the weekend i do at least 30 km on the bike... But during the working hours from Monday to Friday, walking is my only possible exercise.

Pls advise. Thanks!

Replies

• mtlegacy
    mtlegacy Posts: 16
    Options
    Whether or not anyone labels it with the term "exercise" is irrelevant. The fact that it burns calories is what's important. Walking (fast or slow) is an excellent alternative to doing nothing.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • laterz80
    Options
    I would say it definitely counts. I walk everyday with my dog and it's certainly one of the main reasons I have lost and keep the weight off. Walking is my main exercise. I do run in the morning but love my afternoon walks and aim for 5km or more.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    yes, I lost my first 100lbs just by adding additional walking everyday as exercise.
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I lost around 30 pounds initially when I started on this journey just by walking....so I do count it as exercise. As mentioned above it walking an excellent alternative to doing nothing :-)
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Walking is a fantastic exercise. Does your heart rate go up? If so, then you are exercising regardless of what it is. I personally do almost only walking and it works.

Keep it up
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'd say it counts. I lost my first 40-45 pounds buy walking every day. That was it, no other exercise.
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yes. Walking is an excellent form of exercise. Keep it up!!
  • theresa0165
    theresa0165 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try using runkeeper, it's not just for runners. It logs you time pace and calories burned while walking. So you'll know for sure just what you burned instead of guessing. It's another great tool to help yourself out. It also lets you set goals like MFP and constantly encourages you!. I've been on there for some time and I like that I can see over the months what amount of exercise I've done so I can try and top previous month. Check it out at least. I don't find a lot of the food/diet apps accurate with calories burned.
    Look me up if you do. They have friends on their also. BTW, you need to have your phone with you when you take that walk!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course. Whether you choose to log/count it or not, walking is exercise.
  • BL_Mark
    BL_Mark Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I walk every day during my lunch break because I sit behind a desk all day.... so yes, I count walking as exercise just to get my blood moving and to take a break from the mundane. I've even begun to look forward to it too!!
  • _xXJennXx_
    _xXJennXx_ Posts: 3,290 Member
    Options
    Lost 16 lbs. just walking at a fast pace, 30 minute minimum. I don't think walking gets as much credit as it deserves because it does work.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    um.... yes! Unless you don't think so.
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yes, walking at any pace for a period of time counts as exercise. I have bad knees and a lot to lose, I started with a walk at home program back in Feb. and as of today I am down 56 lb.
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    It's amazing exercise!! Some of the best for fat loss especially if you take longer walks.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I wear my heart rate monitor if I do anything that might count towards exercise but if my heart rate doesnt get up to 120, I dont count it. So I dont count walking or bike riding, unless its extreme bike riding
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    You had better believe it! I lost the majority of my weight by walking. I have arthritis in both knees so running is out and biking is very painful. If I couldn't walk, I would not be where I am today!
  • nichi123
    nichi123 Posts: 244
    Options
    I would say so as it helped me lose 49lbs a couple of years ago and 13lbs (so far) more recently.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging my exercise because I went TDEE minus 20. My mini stall broke despite me not putting down all the walking I do.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    All I can say is the main reason I'm on this site is because I bought a car and stopped walking to the train / to work / to the store everyday. It might not be considered hardcore cardio or whatever but it definitely burns calories. That's what matters