Ketones without keto diet

Options
Can someone who is dieting and exercising have trace to small amounts of ketones in their urine without a keto diet?
It’s not necessarily a sign of diabetes, right? Last check a couple of months ago was within normal limits. He is overweight (This isn’t about me, but my husband). Are ketones always a bad sign ( like should he slow down on the diet a little???)
My understanding is that dieting can cause it, but I want to know if anyone here has any first hand experience.

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Nat_cb wrote: »
    Can someone who is dieting and exercising have trace to small amounts of ketones in their urine without a keto diet?
    It’s not necessarily a sign of diabetes, right? Last check a couple of months ago was within normal limits. He is overweight (This isn’t about me, but my husband). Are ketones always a bad sign ( like should he slow down on the diet a little???)
    My understanding is that dieting can cause it, but I want to know if anyone here has any first hand experience.

What is his fasting glucose in the am? It could be a sign. I would spend a few bucks at a CVS and buy an inexpensive glucometer. Unless we eat 24hrs a day, we all use ketone body's. Though having ketones in urine bothers me.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

What is his fasting glucose in the am? It could be a sign. I would spend a few bucks at a CVS and buy an inexpensive glucometer. Unless we eat 24hrs a day, we all use ketone body's. Though having ketones in urine bothers me.

Hmm, i would go to a doctor and get proper evaluations done.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

Was going to mention that.. but decided to throw another idea first. I just know that many people unfortunately do not have access to good health insurance or a national health care system and might be weary of spending large amounts of income
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

Was going to mention that.. but decided to throw another idea first. I just know that many people unfortunately do not have access to good health insurance or a national health care system and might be weary of spending large amounts of income

Im not the OP, but I'd appreciate such advice. We have insurance, but a trip to the doctor would cost us about $250 USD. I try to avoid that as much as possible.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options

Yes I appreciate that.

all the same, this problem isnt going to be sorted properly without proper medical advice.