StrongLifts 5x5 - Just started today...

Options
Just started SL5x5 this morning. I'm looking forward to seeing if I get some good results... I've been reading the user testimonials and to me it just seems a bit odd that not one of them said, "you know, it's a great program, but I just didn't get the results they claimed I would." Just curious if anyone else on here tried it and had success or not? Thanks!

Replies

• michaelmadonna
    michaelmadonna Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Stronglifts since July after years of doing split routines with both compound and isolation excercises. So far I like the program. Especially since I'm eating in a deficit and trying to retain strength and LBM. I started light (not with the bar as the program suggests, but light for me). I like its simplicity and that it's a full body workout. I can't say that I've "seen" results yet. I hadn't failed at any of the lifts until this morning at 150 on the OHP. I knew it was coming and thought it would've been at 145 but I was surprised I made that. The rest of the lifts are getting heavy and harder but still not near my max. I'm willing to give it at least the full 3 months and reassess at that time.
  • ammjr71
    ammjr71 Posts: 13
    Options
    Cool. Thanks for the honest response. I did this crazy 27 week program earlier in the year and saw some good gains. I've been looking for something that wasn't as long OR intense - in a complex way. I was doing heavy sets for 1 rep followed by lighter at 8 then heavier for 5 reps... it was hard to follow.
  • michaelmadonna
    michaelmadonna Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer a few years ago (for a couple of years) who was trained and certified by Charles Polliquin ... aside from the low rep range and mid rep range excercises he was big on tempo - no pause at the top or bottom and 3 or 4 seconds on the concentric (I hope that's the right term) part of the excercise. Very tough to follow on my own, it was easier when he was there and charting them as well.
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    also watch out for the slow down and water retention the first couple of sessions. I just went through it and it really pissed me off. But now that I am passed the first couple of workouts it has begun to taper off. Just be aware that it is coming and be prepared. Good luck!
  • sewingdiscontent
    Options
    If you search the tag #stronglifts of Tumblr, you will see the strength gains ppl are making. It is one of the reasons I am starting Stronglifts.

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/stronglifts
  • ammjr71
    Options
    Awesome. Thank you both. I'm looking forward to it now!
  • salemsaberhagen
    salemsaberhagen Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm considering integrating some of it into my current program or just switching it up and doing SL5x5 entirely. 5x5 isn't new; boxed programs have been around for a very long time and are used quite a bit by sports coaches (google Mark Riptoe starting strength). I would like to start using 5x5 for my benches and start using barbell rows. I've never done an actual row with a bar. Is the form hard to learn? It looks awkward.
  • ammjr71
    Options
    Nah, rows are not hard to learn. Think of it as doing a bench press in reverse. So you basically bend 90 degrees at the waist, with the bar on the ground, grip the bar and pull to your chest then lower the weight. Rinse, repeat. It is kind of awkward the first few times, but once you realize it's only a backwards bench it gets easier.