150 grams of cooked rice = how many grams uncooked?

Options
Hello,

Today I ate 150 grams of COOKED brown rice & quinoa (kirkland brand).

How can I figure out how many grams the rice weighs when it is uncooked?

140 grams = 220 calories according to the nutrition information on the box, but obviously that is for the uncooked form.

Replies

• naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    You probably won't get an exact number but I checked the pre-cooked cups of rice and quinoa (Sunrice brand) and 125g cooked is 202 calories so just increase to about 240 calories. The box must be referencing cooked rice.
  • RubyDarling
    RubyDarling Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If that's a pre-cooked, microwave sachet of rice, then I'd imagine the nutritional info is for cooked.

If 1 gram of carb = 4 calories, then the math doesn't add up for 140 grams of uncooked = 220 cals.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    If that's a pre-cooked, microwave sachet of rice, then I'd imagine the nutritional info is for cooked.

If 1 gram of carb = 4 calories, then the math doesn't add up for 140 grams of uncooked = 220 cals.

Weight grams don’t correlate to calorie grams
  • RubyDarling
    RubyDarling Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Sorry, can you please explain further?
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    No one knows how much water is in the cooked rice. It matters.
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hello,

140 grams = 220 calories according to the nutrition information on the box, but obviously that is for the uncooked form.

I wish 140g of raw rice was only 220cal. Presumably your nutrition information is for cooked (does the box say "as prepared"?), so you would go 220cal/140g x 150g = 236 calories.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

Sorry, can you please explain further?

Water has no calories. Most foods that you eat owe a significant portion of their weight -- sometimes the large majority of their weight -- to water. (Think of it this way -- pretty much everything you eat was once a living organism -- plant or animal -- and living organisms are pretty much mostly water.) Since we don't know how much water is in the rice we don't know how much remaining weight there is to account for carbs, protein, and fat.

Edited to add a missing word.
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Hello,

I wish 140g of raw rice was only 220cal. Presumably your nutrition information is for cooked (does the box say "as prepared"?), so you would go 220cal/140g x 150g = 236 calories.

Oops I made a mistake. The rice I was eating is actually called: Sunbrown Austrailian Calrose Brown Rice and the nutrition facts on the back say that it is 160 calories per 1/4 cup (45g uncooked).
  • darreneatschicken
    edited January 2020
    Options
    OH AND IT ALSO SAYS ON THE BACK: 1 CUP OF UNCOOKED RICE = 2 1/2 CUPS OF COOKED RICE

OH MY GOD AND THERE IS AN ENTRY ON MFP THAT SAYS SUNBROWN AUSTRALIAN CALROSE BROWN RICE COOKED

45 GRAMS UNCOOKED = 74 GRAMS COOKED

THIS IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    . . .

So many humorous replies I can't choose. Enjoy the path.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    OH AND IT ALSO SAYS ON THE BACK: 1 CUP OF UNCOOKED RICE = 2 1/2 CUPS OF COOKED RICE

OH MY GOD AND THERE IS AN ENTRY ON MFP THAT SAYS SUNBROWN AUSTRALIAN CALROSE BROWN RICE COOKED

45 raw to 74 cooked? I would have expected at least 45 to 90 if not a little higher. I do not cook that much rice so I do not know for sure. However sometimes you reach a point where you just need to log something and move on. I try to avoid errors but I understand that no matter what I do I will have some on occasion.
  • darreneatschicken
    edited January 2020
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

45 raw to 74 cooked? I would have expected at least 45 to 90 if not a little higher. I do not cook that much rice so I do not know for sure. However sometimes you reach a point where you just need to log something and move on. I try to avoid errors but I understand that no matter what I do I will have some on occasion.

Okay. So let's go off the information on the back of the package: 1 cup of uncooked rice = 2 1/2 cups cooked rice.

1/4 cup of uncooked rice = 45 grams

1 cup of uncooked rice = 180 grams

180 grams uncooked x 2.5 = 450 grams cooked

So 180 grams of uncooked rice = 450 grams of cooked rice
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options

Okay. So let's go off the information on the back of the package: 1 cup of uncooked rice = 2 1/2 cups cooked rice.

180 grams x 2.5 = 450 grams

No? Or at least, not necessarily. I am cooking rice as I type. I weighed the dry rice in a measuring cup, so I know that my 182 (I overshot the mark by 2 grams, and didn't bother to remove a few grains) grams of rice was a scant cup, measured. I didn't measure the water as exactly, and the best I can tell you is that it was 2 slightly generous cups. My rice may be a bit wet when it's done. Not a deal-breaker. I'm going to wait right here for it to be done, so I can measure and weigh, again.

654 grams of sticky dense rice measuring a generous 3 cups. Not really close to your 450 grams of cooked rice. It all comes down to how much water your rice absorbed.
  • darreneatschicken
    Options

180 grams x 2.5 = 450 grams

No? Or at least, not necessarily. I am cooking rice as I type. I weighed the dry rice in a measuring cup, so I know that my 182 (I overshot the mark by 2 grams, and didn't bother to remove a few grains) grams of rice was a scant cup, measured. I didn't measure the water as exactly, and the best I can tell you is that it was 2 slightly generous cups. My rice may be a bit wet when it's done. Not a deal-breaker. I'm going to wait right here for it to be done, so I can measure and weigh, again.

654 grams of sticky dense rice measuring a generous 3 cups. Not really close to your 450 grams of cooked rice. It all comes down to how much water your rice absorbed.

Meh... You're right. I'm just going to go with the existing MFP entry as it seems the most accurate:

Sunbrown - Calrose Brown Rice (Cooked), 150g = 324 cals, 65 carbs, 4 fat, 6 protein.
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    My own entry, which is based off the measurements on the back of the packaging is this:

150 grams of cooked brown rice = 213 calories, 43 carbs, 1 fat, 4 protein.

Which seems wrong...

There is no way 150 grams of cooked brown rice is only 213 calories, right?
  • darreneatschicken
    edited January 2020
    Options
    But according to the USDA database, 100 grams of cooked brown rice only ranges from around 148 to 162 calories:

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/588313/nutrients

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/356555/nutrients

So maybe 150 grams of cooked brown rice does equal 213 calories and not 324.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options

So maybe 150 grams of cooked brown rice does equal 213 calories and not 324.

In my experiment yesterday, 182 grams of dry rice expanded to 654 grams of cooked rice. There were still only 640 calories in the whole mess. I need to go get ready for work, instead of doing maths, but for 213 calories, you could have eaten 218 grams of my cooked rice. I had half of it, and logged it as 320 calories. That's 327 grams of cooked rice.

So, yes, maybe 150 grams of cooked rice has 213 calories. Or less. Or 324. And the volume won't match, either. Rice is a lot easier if you measure dry, before cooking.