Long injury time off

Options
Anyone ever come back from long illness. After 2 years lost 125 lbs had small pain in kidney turned into having neophrostemy bag many nights in hospital for about 6 months to clear kidney issues and infections. Could do no exercises was not fun at all then after all that had cleared got terrible back pain when walking over a block so just now after many steroid shots I started back to the gym still not 100% but have to. Have gained most of my lost weight back which is downer but I do figure I lost it once so I know how to do it again.

I must say if anyone is having back issues get the back mechanic book by Stuart McGill turned my outlook from grim to positive taught me the real exercises I should be doing to maintain my spine stability and help avoid pain movements.

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Yep, got seriously out of shape over 3-4 years following treatment for cancer and (more minor but really painful) torn shoulder muscle. Couldn’t do a huge amount owing to various issues but I started slowly with a strength and conditioning coach. Now I train Olympic weightlifting; I’ve done two powerlifting comps and one wl comp, am stronger than I’ve ever been at 45 yrs old and love getting stronger. It can definitely be done, but you do have to listen to your body and sometimes adjust the pace 👍
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I chose not to train for just over a year for cancer treatments & surgeries. If I could do it over again, I would of trained throughout treatments and recovery.

I currently train with a progressive joint disease that effects simple things like being able to walk and have pain 24/7 but training helps.

I also deal with failing kidneys.

Life happens. I advocate resistance training for everyone to improve quality of life as well as prevent early death.

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I had to scale back because of an annoying shoulder injury. I had it repaired 3 months ago.

It's hard work coming back I've learned. But it's a challenge
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Shoulder surgery, about the time I could be fully active, developed sepsis, hospital for a week, PIC line for a month, as soon as I got strong enough had to have another shoulder operation for rotator cuff that was torn in hospital (long story). A few weeks after recovery from that, tore a bicep tendon in other shoulder. About a year by the time all said and done.

Definitely a challenge coming back. To anyone facing a comeback, for me at least it helped going to the gym, even to do my rehab work with the 1 pound dumbbells. Seemed to help me feel more normal.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Shoulder surgery, about the time I could be fully active, developed sepsis, hospital for a week, PIC line for a month, as soon as I got strong enough had to have another shoulder operation for rotator cuff that was torn in hospital (long story). A few weeks after recovery from that, tore a bicep tendon in other shoulder. About a year by the time all said and done.

Definitely a challenge coming back. To anyone facing a comeback, for me at least it helped going to the gym, even to do my rehab work with the 1 pound dumbbells. Seemed to help me feel more normal.

Yikes!!!
    I had shoulder surgery. I'm up to 2 lb weights. Feels great to be back at it