0 net carb bread at Aldi’s

Options
Fellow low carb/keto members: is it too good to be true? The reviews are great and I plan to try it today. Be gentle.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'd be curious to know how to this works from a food science perspective. All the carbohydrates are fiber? I had thought that fiber and starch were mutually exclusive in some way and at least some part of wheat wasn't fiber.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    What are the calories?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    What are the calories?

45 calories per slice.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    What are the calories?

45 calories per slice.

It might be worth checking out. Not for me. For my wife. My carbs are usually moderately low level but I do not specifically try to achieve that.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I'd be curious to know how to this works from a food science perspective. All the carbohydrates are fiber? I had thought that fiber and starch were mutually exclusive in some way and at least some part of wheat wasn't fiber.

I wondered about that too. Here are the ingredients: https://www.aldireviewer.com/loven-fresh-keto-friendly-zero-net-carbs-bread/

"Ingredients are: modified wheat starch, water, wheat gluten, wheat protein isolate, oat fiber (chicory), vegetable fiber, wheat bran, soybean oil, yeast, vinegar, salt, and preservatives (calcium propionate, sorbic acid). Those with allergies should be aware this contains wheat."

I guess it's all about whatever "modified wheat starch" is.

I wouldn't choose to eat it (my reasons aren't ones I think should apply to anyone else), but apparently it's very tasty from the reviews.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I follow an Aldi subreddit (don't judge me) and people are going crazy over this keto bread. I have no interest in it, but yes it is getting very good feedback and apparently is good.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    What are the calories?

45 calories per slice.

It might be worth checking out. Not for me. For my wife. My carbs are usually moderately low level but I do not specifically try to achieve that.

People seem to really like it.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I wonder if they are allowed to advertise it as zero carb if the carbs are under 5 like the rules for calories. Not that it makes a big difference unless you are doing ultra low carb or worried about ketosis.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    What are the calories?

45 calories per slice.

People seem to really like it.

I wonder if they would like it as much if they were allowing themselves to eat regular bread? Kind of like I hate tap water but if I was in a desert and parched it would probably taste pretty sweet to me.

That's a good point. I can't really tell from the couple of reviews I read if people *like* like it or just like it because they miss bread.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I wonder if they are allowed to advertise it as zero carb if the carbs are under 5 like the rules for calories. Not that it makes a big difference unless you are doing ultra low carb or worried about ketosis.

It apparently has 9 total grams of carbs and 9 g of fiber, so under 1, at least.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I looked for it today, didn't have it at my store. (Macedonia, OH)
  • NovusDies
    Options
    We bought some. I like a heavy grain flavor bread so I thought it was quite good.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Personally for me that would be too much fiber. 18 grams in 2 slices of bread would likely not be kind to my digestive system.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I am at 62 fiber for the day. That is in my normal range so I won't have any problems there.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Personally for me that would be too much fiber. 18 grams in 2 slices of bread would likely not be kind to my digestive system.

The chicory would do me in.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Actually higher because whoever added the barcode entry did not include the fiber. I am over 100 a lot of days so I should still be fine.