Coffee - Benefits of quitting?

Options
I would love to hear experiences from anyone who has stopped drinking coffee/regular caffeine.
After the addiction symptoms wear off, did you experience any benefits?
Thanks!

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I tend to drink it way too much sometimes, and often start drinking it moderately and then end up drinking it all day long, so I quit from time to time to check my own behavior. Lately I realized I was drinking it too much and thought it might have something to do with my sleep issues (which I had been blaming on stress, but the two are related as I tend to sleep too little and drink too much coffee to compensate when work is really stressful). So on Jan 5 started drinking only 1 cup (it can be a full mug, however) of coffee in the morning and no other caffeine. I was super tired that day, but adjusted pretty quickly (I was lucky this time, I've had headaches and a longer adjustment period at other times), and am both sleeping better and feeling somewhat less anxiety.

So quitting could have benefits if you are drinking excessive amounts, but for me merely cutting way, way back helped. (I love coffee, so don't intend to cut out the remaining cup.)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    The effects ('benefits" depending on your pov) of stopping the consumption of coffee may, depending on your sensitivity, reduce the effects of caffeine contsined in the coffee consumed (whatever the effects that this caffeine may have on you) and may reduce how often you have to pee.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I quit for a couple weeks a few years ago to see if stopping would help my GERD. It didn't, so I started drinking it again (except french roast, which definitely gives me immediate heartburn). This past summer I switched to decaf for a couple weeks to see if it would help my anxiety and/or insomnia. It did help a bit with the anxiety, but no other benefits that I'm aware of. So on work days I drink half caf or decaf if I'm anxious already. Otherwise I drink a cup of regular (if not anxious), because tbh it tastes better and perks me up just enough to be worthwhile. I avoid Starbucks coffee though because it gives me the shakes.
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Increasingly, the general consensus is that coffee in moderate amounts may be good for you.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-latest-scoop-on-the-health-benefits-of-coffee-2017092512429
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I quit over a year ago as it had become a serious trigger for my anxiety. Stopped all caffeine; coffee, tea, coke cola etc.
    Helped my anxiety, though it could have been partially placebo as I put a lot of work into managing it. Other than that, the only real difference is that I don't have that brain fog early in the morning that I used to fix with a coffee. Could also be placebo tbh.
    Quitting is a *kitten* though, i would definitely advise cutting back vs going cold turkey. Those headaches are hell.
  • Sylphadora
    Sylphadora Posts: 75 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I stick to one cup per day in the morning/afternoon. I can't it drink in the evening or I'll find it hard to fall sleep at night, as in I'll be tired and my eyelids will feel heavy but I won't fall asleep, which is the worst kind of insomnia ever.

Seltzermint555, have you tried rinsing with saltwater right after drinking coffee? It remineralizes the teeth. Also, homemade toothpaste made with coconut oil and baking soda works wonders, but never brush your teeth right after eating/drinking anything acidic like coffee because acidic foods soften tooth enamel for a time, and brushing too soon after eating them may damage the enamel while it's in its weakened state. Wait at least 30 min for your the pH of your mouth to go back to normal before brushing.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I had to give up coffee, tea, soda and caffeine due to GERD. ( I gave up lots of other things, too.)

I miss the ability to feel more awake. I miss the taste. I also miss the regularity from coffee.

I don't miss the intense heartburn.

It didn't seem to change anxiety for me.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I have a strong fear of addiction and every now and then go cold turkey just to see if I can and to see if anything changes.

When I worked in a hospital I could rarely be seen without a cup in hand and measured my intake by carafe. I turned to quality over quantity and have 1-2 cups/day. Never really saw an impact either way positive or negative.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    dougndebbi wrote: »
    I would love to hear experiences from anyone who has stopped drinking coffee/regular caffeine.
    After the addiction symptoms wear off, did you experience any benefits?
    Thanks!

What adverse effects of coffee are you concerned with? Coffee is actually quite nutritious and good for you. It is chalk full of antioxidants and other nutrients.
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Benefits for me: 1) Heartburn went away 2) Better dental checkups, less stain.