National Quitters Day?

Options
So as I was out and about running errands today. The DJ and one other person not sure who, started talking about.
How the 3rd Thursday of every January is known as Quitters day. I was like what???
They went on to say, that many people will decide before three weeks have passed, that well maybe they really do not want to be all in, on changing how they eat, or getting fit. And within 90 days over 50% who had a New Years Resolution will just stop.

Do you think it is that High for people giving up?

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I got an email from Strava about Quitter’s Day this morning. I had never heard of it before. My husband wants to know, who are these people doing something for three weeks, then quitting? Because both of us, when we make resolutions, tend to either do it and form a self-sustaining new habit within a few weeks, or don’t get around to doing it at all. Are these 3 week people all trying new habits which are too extreme to be sustained long-term?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't surprise me at all if the percentage of 'resolutioners' who throw it in is higher than that of people who start at other times of the year. People seem to feel like they should make a change, rather than doing it because they're actually ready to commit. Weight loss is simple, but it isn't easy (and many make it way more difficult than it needs to be). The statistics for people sticking with it at all are pretty low, and the number who keep the weight off is even lower.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    I thought it was going to be about giving up smoking.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It’s not surprising at all. It’s the reason gyms are packed the first few weeks in Jan
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    It’s not surprising at all. It’s the reason gyms are packed the first few weeks in Jan

Not to mention MFP!
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how many fad diets Ive started on January first, only to quit 2-3 weeks in. Those diets that promise 10lbs in 2 weeks are so tempting, especially after the holiday binge. But of course theyre not sustainable.
  • kiwiroz
    kiwiroz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    There is the good old 21 days to build a habit myth so quitting something 17 days in might make sense. Of course most of us can attest that it takes way longer to build a habit particulaly ones that relate to health and wellbeing