Can you be underweight at 5'9 154lbs?

Mellouk89
Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
edited January 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I was told recently that bmi is not always reliable to determine if someone is underweight. I feel like I lost too much wieght, my rib cages are very visible and I feel weak. Do you think the whole bmi thing is bs?

Replies

• Mellouk89
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    What are your calories? What kinds of foods are you eating? Are you drinking enough water, eating enough protein, sleeping well? Have you been over-limiting certain foods(carbs, meats, etc) or calories? How long have you felt weak? There's lots to consider besides your weight.
    I'm 5'9" and weigh 136. There's a spectrum of numbers you can be in to be considered normal BMI. It's the 'feeling weak' comment that worries me.

I don't know for sure how much calories i'm eating because I eat out a lot. I eat just about anything, I feel weak as in I don't have as much energy, i get more irritable.
  • Mellouk89
    sijomial wrote: »
    Don't think you are quite understanding what the BMI range means - it doesn't mean everyone your height should be mid range or any other part of the range. It's not saying that the bottom / middle / top of the range are better for everyone.

Ok but if say I had a larger frame, bigger bones, could I be clinically underweight at 5'9 154lbs or is it not possible under any circumstances?
  • Mellouk89
    edited January 2020
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    Don't think you are quite understanding what the BMI range means - it doesn't mean everyone your height should be mid range or any other part of the range. It's not saying that the bottom / middle / top of the range are better for everyone.

Ok but if say I had a larger frame, bigger bones, could I be clinically underweight at 5'9 154lbs or is it not possible under any circumstances?

We don't know you so it's hard to say. See a dr. if you're truly concerned about your weight or your weakness. As far as if you're underweight or not, I doubt it. I think it could be possible you're undernourished in some way(the weakness factor) but that's a different thing altogether. But I'm not a doctor. :/

Yes i'm trying to eat more, but I noticed that I stopped feeling hunger for some reason the more I dieted down. I don't think I ever feel hungry.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    edited January 2020
    Your lack of hunger and week-ness do not sound particularly good and would be somewhat concerning to me, regardless of your current degree of lean-ness (though even more so if you are very lean).

What does "trying" to eat more mean? Most people should be able to eat to maintenance (i.e. a level at which they are not feeling particularly week due to lack of food and at which they don't lose weight) without any problems!
  • Mellouk89
    I thought I was eating at maintenance but I keep losing weight. I usually eat 3 meals a day approximately 700 calories each. I will add a couple of hundred of calories to my meals because apparently that's not enough. I just don't feel good at that weight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

You would have to be extremely lean - essential body weight levels.
    Highly unlikely that you would be that lean and not know about it.

Feeling underweight and clinically underweight are very different things.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited January 2020
    OP. I second going to see your doctor. See if the doctor wants to blood work. There may be something going medically that’s causing you to feel that way, and it may be treatable. You won’t know unless you get it checked out.
  • NicbPNW
    NicbPNW Posts: 47 Member
    Maybe you aren't eating the right things if you never feel good OR there's an underlying medical reason for it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I was told recently that bmi is not always reliable to determine if someone is underweight. I feel like I lost too much wieght, my rib cages are very visible and I feel weak. Do you think the whole bmi thing is bs?

The BMI chart is just a general range where most people will find a healthy weight. It doesn't mean every weight within that range is healthy for every person. As others have said, it's doubtful you are unhealthily thin at that height and weight, but if you feel unwell, it can't hurt to get a check up and mention your concerns to a doctor. They would be able to gauge your health far better than any of us can here.