What puts you off exercising and how do you get passed it?

Options
I know it's human nature to blame someone else for our shortfalls but my fear/dislike of exercising dates back to school when a superfit PE teacher humiliated me in front of 60+ girls. I wasn't the thinnest of teenage girls. I wasn't huge (UK size 14/16) but bigger than all the other girls and I really wasn't very good at PE. I tried but my best was never good enough for this teacher. One day, after a gym session, she loudly exclaimed to me that most people perspire after PE "...but fat pigs like you sweat disgustingly..." Since then I have hated sweating. I see thinner people sweat and don't think anything of it but I can't seem to accept myself in the same way. My husband used to be a PTI and he's tried to help. He told me that when he was training squaddies he used to send them back to do the activity again if they weren't sweating because it showed that they weren't trying hard enough. So sweating when exercising is natural and a sign that you're pushing yourself. He's also set fans up next to our treadmill so that I have cool breezes blowing on my face and body. It's helped a lot but I still find it difficult to do and hate to exercise when he's in the house which is daft because he's so supportive and I actually love the feeling you get when you've been exercising. It's just pushing myself to do it in the first place. Any suggestions would be welcome or maybe I just have to grit my teeth and force myself.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you want to turn this into a positive, you can find a way to reward yourself for sweating...maybe you get a bath with a favorite bath bomb, but only if you make it 10 whole minutes while sweating??? Or whatever time is appropriate with whatever reward motivates you. I totally understand not wanting to spend your whole life controlled by some asshat you happened to come into contact with when you were a teenager...it's not easy, but you can retrain your brain with behavioral modification.

You can start doing it when no one else is home since that's easier for you now, then once it's not so hard each time, you can start doing it even when your husband is home. You can eventually replace that negative association with a positive one, but it doesn't happen overnight, just keep at it and you can do this!!!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    1) Combine the activity with an activity like watching a favorite TV show. Make it a rule that you can't watch it without exercising during.

2) Get up early and get it over with. The longer each day that you face an activity that you may be dreading for some reason the more your discipline will fade. Knowing it is done all day may give you a boost in mood.

3) Gamify it. I use an Apple Watch and after I brush my teeth/shave etc. the very next thing I do is close my exercise ring for the day. I have a very long streak going and continuing the streak is kind of addicting.

I like the swimming suggestion too. The above is for trying to make it work with an existing piece of equipment. Sometimes that turns out to be a bad idea but I don't think you can always know that without really putting an effort into it.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Find something FUN. Even swimming slowly is good for you. I have days when I know I'm not pushing myself my hardest, but then, how much easier would it have been to drive home instead of to the pool? But I didn't. I showed up. Take any successes you get.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think sweat or the amount you sweat really has any bearing on how hard you're working. Yes, I sweat more when I'm working hard, but it all depends on the activity. Rowing machine or running leaves me literally dripping. Lifting weights, a damp shirt. You do you. You're the only you this world has. Give us your best you. Inhabit that beautiful YOU that your husband loves and supports. If you read enough posts here about unsupportive partners, you'll realize what a gem you have. It might be time to put the past behind you and embrace the adult you. That vindictive PE teacher is long gone. Don't allow her to have that power over you anymore. Your soft spot is visible. Hers was invisible, but much, much more unattractive.

Hugs. :heart:
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thank everyone. I appreciate your advice.
  • srianenelson
    srianenelson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey, so I'm allergic to my own sweat and I break out in horrible hives and even bleeding if I do. I do everything to avoid it! One thing that has helped me a ton is yoga. I do it in my own home everyday with a big box fan on me. I follow a free yoga channel on youtube called Yoga with Adrienne. She's amazing. I very rarely break a sweat, yet the workout always does an awesome job getting my heart rate up. It's great for losing calories, full body muscle toning AND teaches you so much about loving yourself and your body as you go. I can't suggest it enough.
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I used to think that PE teachers were a different species as most seemed to be sadists. I think/hope things have changed these days. My stepson (11) told me that they are split into ability sets in PE at his school and the intensity of the activities are linked to the ability of the child. Assessment is all about improving on your previous best not trying to keep up with the really fit.

I'll have a look at Yoga with Adrienne. It had crossed my mind that yoga might be one road to explore but didn't know how to tell which was a good/not so good site. Thanks for the recommendation.