Pre-workout

Options
I bought a new pre-workout at Walmart.
It is called Explode Ripped. The stuff is strong but I think it does what it claims that it would do. Has anyone else ever tried this?

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    What does it claim it will do?
  • Whydahdad71
    Whydahdad71 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Give you energy and concentration / focus
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

Ah, ok. That's a reasonable expectation. :)

I've tried others - found them a bit strong for a workout in the evening. I had a hard time sleeping. I just use very strong coffee now and some creatine.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Does it by chance contain caffeine?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Does it by chance contain caffeine?

Yes.....
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Its basically just caffeine. It lacks adequate amounts of L-Citrulline and Beta Alanine. Its a fairly poor pre-workout unless you just want a high dose of caffeine.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Its basically just caffeine. It lacks adequate amounts of L-Citrulline and Beta Alanine. Its a fairly poor pre-workout unless you just want a high dose of caffeine.

I agree. If you are going to take a pre workout. Make your own stack. You can order the supplies from amazon.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2020
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »

I agree. If you are going to take a pre workout. Make your own stack. You can order the supplies from amazon.

I kind of do this. I use Kaged Muscle In-Kaged (intraworkout), add additional l-citrulline (so it's at the high end of the effective dosage) and creatine monohydrate (not important for timing but it's just a good time to time it). Kaged Muscle does make an effective pre-workout, but the In kaged is like half the price and I get the bulk supplements for dirt cheap.

ETA: I should note, if people find it valuable/beneficial to consume pre-workouts (even if it's placebo), I would recommend a quality one. The effective dosed once I have seen and/or tried:

Pre-Kaged by Kaged Muscle
    Cutler Nutrition Amplify (non stim) or Prevail (stim) <-- one of the best tasting
    Alpha Lion
    Legion Pulse

Essentially, it should contain 150 - 400 caffeine
    5 - 8g of Citrulline Malate or 3 - 5g of L-Citrulline
    1.6 - 3.2g of Beta Alanine