5k Walk

Options
I really want to walk a 5k and hope to on the 31st of this month. I can walk the distance but not fast. For me it is a work out just walking at a steady pace in Florida morning heat.

I walked it in 62 minutes last Sunday, 60 minutes this past Saturday and 63 minutes today.

The 5k I am doing is called a Fun Run/Walk. So I don't believe I have to finish in a set time, but I am wondering if I will be the slowest person in the 5k?

I read somewhere ideally you should walk a 5 k in an hour or not longer than 75 minutes.

What should I expect at a 5k?

Does speed matter for walkers?

Replies

• LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    In the 5K I'm going to running/walking in Nov., they said if you're a walker you must walk it in 60 minutes or less because there was another run right after.
    But I would think, if there wasn't another run right after then times wouldn't matter.
    But I'm not sure..

and that answer was probably not helpful at all..
  • carblover79
    Options
    I have done a number of 5k's, most recently a mud run as you can see from my pic, and when it comes to "fun" walk/runs, there is rarely a time limit. I would say check your registration information or contact the 5k coordinators to get the best answer.
  • clbortiz
    clbortiz Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    There is a huge 5k in the fall here and it draws tons of runners and walkers. There were a total of 66 people in the women's 46-49 year old bracket. The fastest finished in 22 minutes 12 seconds, the last finished in 1 hour and 6 minutes. The slowest time overall was 1 hour 9 minutes (by several people). There were many people listed, male and female, with times between 1 hour and 1 hour 9 minutes. So, it sounds like you have a great walk time.

But like others suggested you may want to check withyour particular race to see if there is a time limit.

As far I'm concerned, finishing is what really counts!
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I would be willing to bet there will be some 'runners' who will finish not too far from that time. Check with your organizers and make sure but you will likely be ok.

Also, check out Couch to 5k. Not enough time for your planned event but I bet there will be some winter 5k's in Florida that you could participate in.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I just saw a post elsewhere where someone just completed their first 5k and their time was 60 minutes or so. My first 5k is next month so I have no personal experience other than that.
  • oceanbreeze22
    oceanbreeze22 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses! I will call and find out.

I want to be a girl who walks 5k's inspite of my legs shortcomings. :)
  • oceanbreeze22
    Options

As far I'm concerned, finishing is what really counts!

That is what is MOST important to me too! I want to do it and cross that finish line!
  • oceanbreeze22
    Options
    I called the track place that is one sponsor of the event and they told me my walk time is fine. They are expecting a good amount of walkers at this one and this would be a great start for a first time 5k walker.
  • lilalaunebaer
    Options
    You can check the website of the event, maybe they have posted last years results.
    A good 5k walking time would be a little over 30 min, average is about 45 min.
    Then again, there is a good chance that there are some slower people at the walk, so don't worry too much abouit it.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You can check the website of the event, maybe they have posted last years results.
    A good 5k walking time would be a little over 30 min, average is about 45 min.
    Then again, there is a good chance that there are some slower people at the walk, so don't worry too much abouit it.

What?!?! I ran a 28:39 5 K and ended up in top 50. Ran! I doubt many can walk it in 30
  • carblover79
    Options
    Cross the finish line and have fun! Warning: 5k's can be addicting. :bigsmile: