Jillian Michaels @ 5’0”, 175lbs

justanotherguy2020
justanotherguy2020 Posts: 223 Member
edited January 2020 in Success Stories
She posted this picture of herself to help motivate others, saying you can do it if she did!

91ag6v62ixc2.png

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I can't tell you how many times I've said that to others myself. Then within the next few months my weight started creeping back up to what it was before or worse. Personally, I think she found a great marketing tool there, her own niche, and that helped enormously. :) Seriously, lots of people do it, and some don't. Then there are others who yo-yo their life away.
    As the PP said, I've found so much motivation from real people here. Seen the pictures, and the proof of their real struggles and triumphs. Now if THEY can do it, so can we. :)
  • _Lazy_Bones
    _Lazy_Bones Posts: 3 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Then there are others who yo-yo their life away.

This struck me as something I have done for 10 years. And I don't want to be that person anymore- this was the wake up and realization that I needed to get control of my eating and speak to someone about why I overeat (I struggle with overeating, not a lack of physical activity).

• justanotherguy2020
    Lol, man no love for Jillian Michaels!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    This was me when I started training in Israeli martial arts. Determination and not giving up can accomplish a lot of things.

x0v5smdvpu2w.jpg
  • justanotherguy2020
    MikePTY wrote: »
    This was me when I started training in Israeli martial arts. Determination and not giving up can accomplish a lot of things.

x0v5smdvpu2w.jpg

Do you have an “after” picture? How long ago was that “before” picture taken?

• justanotherguy2020
    MikePTY wrote: »
    oo2dbqxgeazb.jpg

This was my after. About 13 months in between the two

Absolutely amazing!! Way to kill it bro
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,126 Member
    Kaitie9399 wrote: »
    Even the TITLE of the TV show implies denigration of the participants., implying that they are losers.

IMHO: I don't think there's a hidden implication of the contestants being losers. The title seems quite direct and straight-forward to me. They are 'losers' of weight.

I have never seen the show, but I've obviously heard of it. I agree it's a cheeky play on words. Like when we tell cigarette smokers that quitters are winners.
  • Analog_Kid
    Analog_Kid Posts: 976 Member
    is it me, or does it look like her left shoulder is dislocated ?

just a casual observation...
  • mtaratoot
    Well that sounds like torture.

I was just talking about the name of the show.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Imo, it's the most humiliating show that's ever been on TV. And that's saying a lot.
  • mtaratoot
    There are several people in my shop who are doing a quarterly (I think it's quarterly and not monthly) "Biggest Loser" challenge. They each put in some cash, maybe twenty bucks, and weigh in. The person with the largest percentage loss wins the kitty.

I'd play, but I am not losing anymore. I'd just be funding the kitty, but I'd kind of like to support what they are doing. There's a couple guys that had started some big loss before they started this, and they have made some AMAZING progress. I see them in the fitness room, and they aren't beating themselves to death. They are making slow, steady progress, and they are supporting each other.

Maybe that's why I have a different reaction to the name. I also generally like word play and puns, in case you hadn't noticed.

I didn't realize the show was what it apparently is. Kind of ghastly. Actually REALLY ghastly!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Kaitie9399 wrote: »
    Even the TITLE of the TV show implies denigration of the participants., implying that they are losers.

IMHO: I don't think there's a hidden implication of the contestants being losers. The title seems quite direct and straight-forward to me. They are 'losers' of weight.

I have never seen the show
    , but I've obviously heard of it. I agree it's a cheeky play on words. Like when we tell cigarette smokers that quitters are winners.

Here is what you missed. Contestants eat sub 1000 calories and workout 4-8 hrs per day in warm temps.

All while being screamed at by Jillian with these gems: she doesn't care if they die, at least they'd die looking good, they can't get off the treadmill unless they pass out, puke or die, that they are failures (in case that wasn't made clear by the Biggest Loser t-shirts they are wearing), and that she enjoyed watching them suffer. Puke buckets are scattered about and frequently used during workouts.

Medically resulting in people's feet bleeding through their shoes, urinating blood from dehydration, one medivaced out for exercise enduced kidney failure (rhamdo) torn muscles, eating disorders, etc.

There hasn't been a biggest loser reunion because the vast majority of them regained their weight, because of how fast they lost it caused metabolic damage.

Also lying to gullible audiences about the rate of fat loss - one week is actually a three week filming cycle. So what are obese people supposed to think if this is where they are getting their info from?

What are their expectations of what exercise is, about their self worth as a human, and how long things actually take?

After reading the 2016 report by Kevin Hall on the season 8 winners, it sent me down a dark path to basically anorexia. I lost weight very rapidly myself, so I spent the last 3 years learning all I could about it. While I think the contestants had substantial AT, I have come to believe there were some issues in the way their RMR's were done. Why if they were not burning that many calories did their TDEE's, as predicted by Hall's own BWP for the NIH, come out as they should have? I no longer think a "lowered TDEE" has much to do with regain. If it was just a lowered TDEE, well we could just eat less. Right? I think it has more to do with dietary adherence and the increase in appetite that comes post weight loss. In one of Hall's later studies, there is roughly a 100 calorie increase in appetite for every KG lost. I don't think that it is a linear increase. More like a curve honestly. As far as Jillian Michaels... I just don't like her. She knows little of the science of diets in general.
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,305 Member
    My only Jillian Michael's experience was when she partnered with Curves and they created videos of exercises to do in between their machines. They were perfectly normal and encouraging fitness instructor behavior, and I always liked them. I don't see anything wrong with her post above. However, if I had ever watched the show and saw her doing what was described above, I'd probably feel very differently about her, and it would certainly affect the way I read anything coming from her.

OP, if you were looking for people to actually share their stories, I'm currently down 75 lbs from my highest ever weight (and down 45 from 1.5 years ago when I got restarted after a regain). I still have a long way to go, but I'm currently the lowest I've ever been on any weight loss attempt, and this is by far the longest time I've stayed dedicated to a weight loss plan.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!