Drinking water is making me gain weight?

Options
So starting monday I have been upping my water weight to making sure I drink nearly 100oz a day I feel great apart from peeing all the time I have started to get a thirst for water great right (all I used to drink all day was 2 cups of coffee and 1-2 glasses of water i never felt thirsty) I'm currently following weight watchers come to weigh this morning and I have gained nearly 5lbs I have been so good all week tracked everything and even had points to spare!! Why have I gained so much is it from upping my water? Will it go i thought drinking water helps you loose weight I'm at a loss.....

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Hydration is great, but it doesn't cause fat loss. Fat loss is 100% caused by consistently being in a calorie deficit.

Everything you put in your body stays in your body until it's excreted. That means it's going to show up on the scale.

100 oz. of water is most likely excessive unless there's some reason for it, such as sweating a lot or living in a very dry place. You don't need to drink massive amounts of water; just make sure your urine is pale yellow. If you are so thirsty that you must have 100 oz. of water per day with no clear reason for it, then I would see a doctor.

ibid
    100 oz of water = 6.25 lbs. Every day.

So, depending on when you're weighing yourself, you could easily have a bunch of excess water in your system that you haven't managed to pee out yet.

Also, why so much water? You naturally get quite a bit of water from foods and other drinks. No need to overdo it. It's not 'flushing' anything out of your system, and can actually be quite dangerous.

Drink when you're thirsty. If your urine is a light straw colour, you are adequately hydrated. :)

ibid
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I drink 128 ounces throughout the day. 64 ounces is plain water (or with a few drops of mio), the other 64 is made up of a 16 ounce Diet coke and 48 ounces of Ice sparkling water.
    The water keeps me hydrated, my stomache full, and the Ice waters even satisfy my sweet craving.
    I live in Arizona where the air is very dry, and the summers are very hot, so this intake is not excessive, at least in my opinion.

I agree you may have been dehydrated before, or you may have weighed with more water in your system than before.

That is why most people recommend you weigh in the morning after you go to the bathroom. It takes about 8 to 9 hours for your body to digest water, so when you wake up, most excess water will have passed through your body.

Hang in there, and good luck! 😁
  • Abby369852
    Abby369852 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Abby359852
    Therefore, the total amount of water, from all sources of consumtion, per day (24hr) is roughly 64 oz?
    And if excess water is consumed it will take 6-9 hours to process through system?
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Are you counting calories or just doing WW? Even with their “points” system it’s possible to overeat—eat more calories you burn. So “being good” can be relative.