Net Carbs

Options
Happy weekend everyone! I am wondering....if I go over my carb allowance by 20 grams, does increasing fiber by 20 grams even-out my daily allowance of carbs?

Replies

• panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    So in the sense of counting net carbs yes, but it would be hard to find food that would up your fiber without adding any more carbs. The two usually come together.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    ...how would you do that?

Why are you trying to stay below a certain number?

Regardless, it does take some practice to get things to line up. Try logging your day's food before you eat it. Then you can tweak things and keep them in line.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Fiber is a TYPE of carb. You will not find any Negative carb foods. The good news is that it doesn't matter if you go over on carbs, if you at or under your calorie goal.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/fiber/
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    panda4153 wrote: »
    So in the sense of counting net carbs yes, but it would be hard to find food that would up your fiber without adding any more carbs. The two usually come together.

They come together because fiber is a type of carb.

OP, if you're already 20 grams of carb over, you can't decrease that surplus by consuming more fiber, because the best a food can be is net zero carbs. There's no such thing as a negative carbs food.