Woodworking calories

Options
amtyrell
amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
So I spent 7 hours yesterday hand sawing and hand sanding a project mainly above my head.
I am certain i burnt calories. My shoulders , fingers, and triceps are sore today. When I went to log it the closest was general calories but that was over 1700 calories which seems massively high.
What would you log something like this as?

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    1700 calories is a reasonable estimate (depending on your height and weight) if you spent all 7 hours working without rest, which isn't likely. If it's a one off thing, I would just go with 1700 if you're hungry or feel like spending more calories for some reason, and about 50% of that if not hungry and don't have a high calorie meal in mind. If you're seriously getting into wood working and will be doing more of it, I would eat back 50% of that and adjust based on how your weight behaves over time.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Yeah it was 9 hours with a lunch break and two bathroom breaks so probably lets call that 7
    This is about a twice a year event.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You could eat the 1700 if you feel like it. 240 per hour sounds reasonable for woodworking depending on your stats, but even if it's inaccurate it won't make that much of a difference if it's only twice a year.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    Dud you cross-check against the carpentry estimate in the MFP database? That's on the high side for light work, probably, but it's another source to compare.

You might also find a closer activity to what you did in the Compendium of Physical Activities, then log the calories from a similar-METS activity in the MFP database.

https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/Activity-Categories/home-repair

(Other categories besides home repair, like Occupational, might also have relevant values.)