Stairs at home. How many times?

Options
I want to do some HIIT at home and thinking of going up and down stairs. We have loft convertion so two flights. At no I am out of breath when I walk up them. Any advice on how I should set my programme to build up fitness and burn fat please? Thankyou in advance

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    This is a very thrifty approach to fitness!

I would go by time. If you can sustain for at least 15 minutes, then you are starting to get some real benefit.

Also, you can do a range of at-home exercise plans from YouTube. Look up PopSugar Fitness.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    HIIT would be running up the stairs at as fast a pace as you could muster. Given the nature and purpose of HIIT it would be short durations with, normally a day or two of recovery time between (great if you're working on running speed) .

If you're interested in building fitness in general I second Sijomial's suggestion.
  • amandalfield
    amandalfield Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is a very thrifty approach to fitness!

I would go by time. If you can sustain for at least 15 minutes, then you are starting to get some real benefit.

Also, you can do a range of at-home exercise plans from YouTube. Look up PopSugar Fitness.

Thankyou. I am looking for some cardio I can do at home as well as some resistance. I have some small weights to use. Very limited on time so want to do something short and regular.
  • amandalfield
    Options
    Thank you
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I climb stairs at work, and I have found that walking 25-30 flights of 20 stairs is about ideal for me. :)

I had (have) to build up to that, but once I have, I can work on increasing my speed a bit.
  • amandalfield
    Options
    Wow well done
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I do regular stair workout with my trainer, and she really does turn a flight of stairs into a full body cardio/body weight strength workout.

We generally start with me running up and down a few times (interspersed with boxing), plus add in going up two stairs at time, up two/down one, lunge walking up, squat walking, side steps then get on to other fun. There really is so much you can do and as you get fitter you can add more advanced exercises.

You can squat jump up, do a leg extention on each step, or a side raise with the leg. You can do a press up on each step, or bear crawl up. You can do a tricep walk up and down, and many many more