Am I doing something wrong???

Options
So I am a vegan. I started working out 3wks ago. I had to do a follow up with my doctor due to bp issues and my weight went up one point. From 252 to 253. I even cut out all the carbs like pasta, rice, bread which I’m not a big fan any,and my favorite potatoes! I have given my favorites up in hope of seeing some results. How is it I am not. Please help me MyFitnessPal Family. Thanks

Replies

• jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Ditto above. It comes down to calories more than what food groups you are eating. Changing up the balance of your diet can be helpful to feel more satiated, if you find just eating less of your normal foods leaves you feeling hungry, but it's not necessary for weight loss. Some carbs, like potatoes, actually have a high satiety rating, meaning for the number of calories they make you feel quite full.
    If you recently started a workout routine and are not counting calories it's very possible you are eating more than you used to because your body is looking for more fuel for your workouts. When I started weight lifting a couple years ago I wasn't focused on my diet at all and so I was getting stronger, but also gained about 10 pounds overall.
  • Toffee80
    Toffee80 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. I take in about a little over a 1000 calories on most days but never more than 1200. How do I get rid of water retention? I appreciate the both of you inspirational advice. Peace love and blessings
  • hsslove
    hsslove Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    To fight water retention, watch your sodium intake very carefully. Salt draws water, and makes it difficult for your kidneys to filter it out.
  • mydogisthebestdogever
    Options
    Dandelion root tea is good for water retention. I hold onto water weight all month. On one day of each month, it all comes out and I see the weight loss.on that day and wont see it again until the next month. Some people just retain water more than others. 1000 cals seems a bit low though, you don't want to feel deprived or else you'll one day just go crazy and eat every potato in a 10 mile radius. I speak from experience lol
  • Lena_Loves_Herself2020
    Options
    Could be water weight
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    At 252lbs 1000 calories is way too low an intake for you.
  • Candy_lilacs
    Candy_lilacs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring your food? Sometimes the portions are deceptive. Also if you’re eating a lot of high sodium foods, anything processed, you retain water. Best way to get rid of water weight is by eating clean diet.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    MrsMayKC wrote: »
    Are you weighing and measuring your food? Sometimes the portions are deceptive. Also if you’re eating a lot of high sodium foods, anything processed, you retain water. Best way to get rid of water weight is by eating clean diet.

Why do you think you need to get rid of water weight? Water weight is a normal response by your body to regulate fluids, there's nothing wrong with it and it will go on it's own. After all we're trying to lose fat, not water.

There are all sorts of causes of water retention, it's not just sodium - a change in macros, change in hydration, hormones, new exercise, a change in the intensity of exercise, medication, etc.
  • Candy_lilacs
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I don’t think I need to get rid of water weight. If you scroll up you will see the original poster felt she was retaining too much water weight causing her weight to increase. She also asked for help getting rid of it. Yes, there are a lot of things that can cause you to retain water but sodium intake is the first place to look!
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    I don’t think I need to get rid of water weight. The original poster felt she was retaining too much water weight causing her weight to increase. Yes, there are a lot of things that can cause you to retain water but sodium intake is the first place to look!

OP also said she'd just started working out, so it's quite likely that's why she is retaining water. A 1lb flcutuation is totally normal from one day to the next.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I don’t think I need to get rid of water weight. If you scroll up you will see the original poster felt she was retaining too much water weight causing her weight to increase. She also asked for help getting rid of it. Yes, there are a lot of things that can cause you to retain water but sodium intake is the first place to look!

The point is, there is no reason to take measures to manipulate one's water weight. The OP is experiencing a very typical water weight fluctuation that is likely masking her current fat loss on the scale. It's a temporary fluctuation and her progress will become evident soon enough, without any intervention required on her part.
  • Candy_lilacs
    Options
    Started working out 3 weeks ago and changed her diet. When she went back for her follow-up weight was up. Not day to day fluctuation.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Started working out 3 weeks ago and changed her diet. When she went back for her follow-up weight was up. Not day to day fluctuation.

If she's only weighing at the doctor's office, we have no way of knowing that wasn't day-to-day fluctuation.
  • Candy_lilacs
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I find it comical that I mentioned sodium intake and retaining water weight and 3 people jump on to disagree with me. Someone else mentioned it and nothing. You guys can do what you want but sodium intake will definitely make you gain water weight, elevating your blood pressure. This is why people are often put on a “water pill” to help lower their blood pressure. If you have hypertension your doctor will tell you to follow a low sodium diet. So retaining water is not harmless, especially since she is having issues with her blood pressure. A lot of time when people are dieting they may try packaged “ healthy meals” or made protein drinks. These things can be high in sodium which will cause them to retain water which is why I advised her to look at her sodium content. But hey what do I know! 🤷🏾‍♀️
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I find it comical that I mentioned sodium intake and retaining water weight and 3 people jump on to disagree with me. Someone else mentioned it and nothing. You guys can do what you want but sodium intake will definitely make you gain water weight, elevating your blood pressure. This is why people are often put on a “water pill” to help lower their blood pressure. If you have hypertension your doctor will tell you to follow a low sodium diet. So retaining water is not harmless, especially since she is having issues with her blood pressure. A lot of time when people are dieting they may try packaged “ healthy meals” or made protein drinks. These things can be high in sodium which will cause them to retain water which is why I advised her to look at her sodium content. But hey what do I know! 🤷🏾‍♀️

Why are you so confident that this is a sodium intake issue? We're talking about one pound.
  • Candy_lilacs
    Options
    Never said it was I spoke in general about water retention because it was brought up in the discussion. I also mentioned making sure portions are correct, using a food scale, and measuring food.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is to low for anyone. You should at least have 1200.
    I weigh 225. 1700 calories per day to lose one 1lb I've almost been at it month and have lost 5.
    Get a food scale if you don't have one already.