Do need to tighten cores everytime working out?

Options
Hi guys!

Ive got a question about the whole “engage cores” at each exercise.

Like squats or anything.
Is it necessary? Why they say that?
Because this whole time i’ve been working out I haven’t really tightened my cores unless i did abs or back workout.

But whenever i do legs or glute excercises or maybe other i never tighten my cores i try to focus on my legs/ glutes muscle.
Or even when i do some cardio like jumping squats, lunges , even the abs standing type of workouts.

Is this because its bad for my back, or what?

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I think it's often overstated myself. And to some extent, it depends on your overall fitness level and the strength of your core (and other muscles) to begin with. For example, if you have strong legs and a weak core, it's easier to lose balance doing deadlifts or squats. The same applies to muscle balance for many things.

But if you have a strong core, many times you don't need the emphasis on keeping your core tight.

My 2 cents, subject to other input of course. :smile:
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    It took me a long time to figure out how one engages their core and breathes at the same time, especially during exercise. Once I did, it made a world of difference in keeping my form during exercises. While I never injured myself before figuring it out, I can imagine it was a bigger risk then than now.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You're contracting your abs while working out without realizing it, just not with enough intensity to feel it. A stronger contraction does benefit many activities, and can reduce the risk of back injuries, so it's good to be conscious of how hard you're engaging them.. from gently pulling in your belly to a hard brace as if protecting from a punch.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Are you doing body weight squats or weighted squats? If you’re using weights, you absolutely need to engage your core. Engaging your core while doing these exercises isn’t meant for you to feel a burn or like your abs are getting any kind of a workout. It’s meant to protect you from injury and to stabilize you so you keep good form.

I’ve been told to put my hands on the sides of my stomach and imagine I’m trying to fill out a corset. To try and get my middle section boxy. That helped me to get the proper engagement that I need. I don’t know if that language helps you but it helped me visualize it.
  • aidayazd95
    aidayazd95 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!

Very well explained :)
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I am very conscious of core engagement these days and will actively engage (to a greater or lesser degree) even when doing stuff at home like house work.