peanut butter

Options

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    instead of an apple, eat it with carrots, celery, or other crunchy veggies. just as good, fewer calories, if that's your goal.

Ants on a log!

(peanut butter on celery sticks with raisins)
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I looooove peanut butter! I try to work it into my breakfast to get more bang for my buck. My fave quick breakfast is:

1 light Eggo waffle (or any toaster waffle)
    1 Tablespoon peanut butter
    1/2 banana

Mmmmmm.....

Don't cut it out, just find a way to work it into your regular calories.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Bacon

Bacon and peanut butter make the world go round!

Don't forget chocolate.....:smile:

Oooohhh, I like you!!! :flowerforyou:

Chocolate covered bacon with peanut butter spread on it.

hF05B84B5
    or... finished3.jpg
    the grilled peanut butter/bacon/nutella/banana sandwich?
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Same prob here... I do use PB2 sometimes (powdered, defatted??, peanuts that you reconstitute with water), or Whipped Jif, OR just switched to Almond Butter (all natural) that isn't quite as tasty as PB.
    I also switched to eating it if I had extra calories at the end of the day that needed to be eaten :smile:

Actually you're better off with another choice besides the whipped Jiff. It contains fully hydrogenated vegetable oil. Check out the one I posted about above (Peanut Butter & Co). Peanut Butter & Co.'s line of all-natural peanut butter contains no hydrogenated oils, no cholesterol, no trans-fats and, no high fructose corn syrup

Ingredients in Jiff Whipped: MADE FROM ROASTED PEANUTS AND SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: MOLASSES, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SALT.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    PB was one of my nighttime snacking foods. I could easily eat SEVRAL heaping tablespoons of PB......racking in hundreds of calories at midnight. I know PB provides protein but I can't control my intake...I LOVE IT! So, I have switched to using PB2. It's a powdered, all natural peanut butter that you add water to make the consistency you like. 2 tbsp of PB2 is 45 calories. For me, it's saved a HUGE amount of calories/week. I add it to my smoothies, eat on apples, make ice cream with it...tons of things you can do with it.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Bacon

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Bacon

Don't forget chocolate.....:smile:

Oooohhh, I like you!!! :flowerforyou:

Chocolate covered bacon with peanut butter spread on it.

No No Now I'm all dizzy!!!:love:
  • ic3co0l
    ic3co0l Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Kind of off topic.. BUT does anyone know where I can find PB2 Chocolate flavor in CANADA?? it's driving me insane.. preferably those who live in BC.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Kind of off topic.. BUT does anyone know where I can find PB2 Chocolate flavor in CANADA?? it's driving me insane.. preferably those who live in BC.

I found it on Amazon.ca for you:

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00CMANM3I

:)
  • mattkdawson
    mattkdawson Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    No, you should not avoid it and there is no reason to cut out enjoyable items. (unless there is a medical reason for doing so) Yes, peanut butter is higher in calories, but provides a protein punch. If a couple spoons of peanut butter are equivalent to a full meal for you, I am curious what you total calorie goal is for the day?

1760 per day is my quota.

i try to keep my 3 meals at 500 or less and that leave some wiggle room and room for a snack. if a serving of peanut butter is 200+ calories (and lets be honest, 2 tblspoons is barely anything) than it doesn't really make sense for me to eat it as a snack
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    That's up to you. But don't eat peanut butter for the protein. Peanut butter, and nuts in general, aren't really a great source of protein. They are a good source of unsaturated fats, which is a nutrient that your body needs, but look to animal sources for protein, unless you are vegan/vegetarian, in which case, good luck on finding a good source of vegetable protein. Soy products work, but in my personal opinion, taste awful.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    No, you should not avoid it and there is no reason to cut out enjoyable items. (unless there is a medical reason for doing so) Yes, peanut butter is higher in calories, but provides a protein punch. If a couple spoons of peanut butter are equivalent to a full meal for you, I am curious what you total calorie goal is for the day?

1760 per day is my quota.

i try to keep my 3 meals at 500 or less and that leave some wiggle room and room for a snack. if a serving of peanut butter is 200+ calories (and lets be honest, 2 tblspoons is barely anything) than it doesn't really make sense for me to eat it as a snack

2 tablespoons is more than you would need to put on some crackers, an apple, or even on a sandwich. That's also more than you would add to oatmeal or a smoothie.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Two tablespoons is A LOT! :huh:
  • Onesnap
    Options
    That's up to you. But don't eat peanut butter for the protein. Peanut butter, and nuts in general, aren't really a great source of protein. They are a good source of unsaturated fats, which is a nutrient that your body needs, but look to animal sources for protein, unless you are vegan/vegetarian, in which case, good luck on finding a good source of vegetable protein. Soy products work, but in my personal opinion, taste awful.

Yeah, and eating too much processed soy is not great either.

There's actually a lot of complex grains that are considered great protein sources: http://www.fitsugar.com/What-Complete-Protein-Inquiring-Vegetarians-Want-Know-165298
  • Onesnap
    Options

It sure does make sense to eat it as a snack. From Prevention magazine: 'Why Eating Peanut Butter is Good for You':

http://www.prevention.com/food/smart-shopping/healthy-eating-why-peanut-butter-good-you
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    PB2 eliminates all the nutritional value (monosaturated fats & polyunsaturated fats) from peanut butter, just eat natural peanut butter!
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is its own food group. ANd cheese. And bacon. Life would be unbearable without any of these.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I use Jiff Natural-only like 5 ingredients-but you may occasionally need to stir it. I use only 1 tablespoon on my morning bagel thin and that is plenty (right out of the toaster so it melts. mmhmm). 2 tablespoons is a lot.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is its own food group. ANd cheese. And bacon. Life would be unbearable without any of these.

QFT
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Bacon

I'd buy that T-Shirt!!