Exercise After Concussion

Options
I got hit in the head at work and didn't take it very seriously until I started vomiting about a week later. Turns out that I suffered a concussion from the impact. I'm now following the protocols for recovery but it's killing me that I can't work out because I can feel my fitness goals getting pushed further and further out.

I'm wondering if anyone else on here has been through this and if you have any advice for getting back into the rhythm of exercise after a setback like this?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    I got hit in the head at work and didn't take it very seriously until I started vomiting about a week later. Turns out that I suffered a concussion from the impact. I'm now following the protocols for recovery but it's killing me that I can't work out because I can feel my fitness goals getting pushed further and further out.

I'm wondering if anyone else on here has been through this and if you have any advice for getting back into the rhythm of exercise after a setback like this?

It's hard but necessary to be patient. A couple of weeks off exercising, isn't going to undo your fitness achievements. I've had several sports injuries in the past and I regret the ones I didn't let recover properly because they are the ones that still hamper me now.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ditto to above.

Or at the least - end up just dragging out some sub-optimal workout for way longer than it would have been needed if true rest had just been taken as stated. And then slowly but surely increased intensity afterwards.

You can always call your Dr and find out what level of activity you are allowed. Walking seems jarring, but perhaps it's not that bad and they would say fine for some max amount of time daily. Something.
    But they may say nothing - in which case get that family helping out around the house!!