Low carb/low sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I forgot about that ricotta/cocoa dessert from that book! My dad had us all on South Beach when I was in high school. That ricotta stuff was the best part 😋
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    sarahjen92 wrote: »
    I started the South Beach diet today and need ideas! I did it a few years ago and basically had protein shakes, cottage cheese, various egg recipes, meat and tons a veggies for phase 1.

I’m trying add some more variety now, but during the first phase, there’s not much to work with. Ideally, I want recipes I can still use even when I’m no longer on the strict part of the diet.

What I really need are quick, few ingredient (or at least ingredients that are generally on hand) recipes, particularly for breakfast and lunch!

My typical “breakfast” is coffee (with a pack of stevia and 2-4 tbsp. light cream) and a protein bar that I graze on throughout the early morning (I’m on horses at work starting at 6am, so has to be on-the-move food). My protein bars are not low carb, so I’m trying to come up with a game plan to replace them until I can add them back!

Desserts is another thing I would love to get ideas for! My favorite thing is, unfortunately, plain Greek yogurt, granola and honey (no-go for the first two weeks 😩). I’m not wild about Greek yogurt on it’s own...I tried adding cocoa powder and stevia...didn’t quite hit the spot! So I’ve settled for a cup of whole milk with sugar-free chocolate syrup tonight.

I came in around 72 grams of carbs today (23 of those was from my protein bar), so seems a bit high for a low-carb diet?

Hit me with your tried-and-true recipes and I welcome any advice from those who have done this route as a “reset”!
    Are you doing the original SB? It wasn't a low carb diet. The creator has come out with a low carb diet, recently, so perhaps you mean that one.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    edited January 2020
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    @lemurcat2 I'll check it out! Thanks!

Just want to clarify, I don't want to do a Keto diet. It seems that South Beach isn't as low carb as keto, and I want to shoot for at least 90g protein.

I'm also realizing (based on some of the replies plus from a lot of good nutrition advice I've seen on here from people who have been at it for a long time), I don't think a super low carb diet would fit for me.

I also realized (being more a stickler at tracking my food in the last few days) that I consume waaaaay more carbs out of habit than I realized! I assumed because I didn't really eat bread or pasta very often (usually less than once every week or two), I wasn't getting too many carbs. WRONG! So I've become more aware and am simply shooting for a lower amount...preferably not above 150g (that's at 50% for me I believe) but trying to hit closer to 100g so I can get 30% of my calories from protein.

Thank you for all the help and advice! I'll continue to look at and get ideas for lower carb options and read the advice given to others as well!

As a side note...I tried mock mashed "potatoes" cauliflower yesterday. It was delicious...definitely will be utilizing that more!

The poster who started the group I linked is a big fan of SB and still around here occasionally -- @Sabine_Stroehm.

She always described SB as not low carb, but slow carb (before that name got taken over by some awful fad diet), and explained that it just focused on using whole food and higher fiber sources as your primary carbs. Veg, fruit, whole grains, beans and lentils, tubers, nuts and seeds. That always sounded pretty sensible to me, although I have not read the book (I think there's an old and new version).

Thanks @lemurcat2 I didn't start the group. I just convinced folks to let me become an admin after the original one left. And yes, you're right. There was the south beach diet, and now there's a new south beach diet that's "keto friendly". It's still not all that low carb: up to 50 grams in P1 and much much more in P2.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    @lemurcat2 I'll check it out! Thanks!

Just want to clarify, I don't want to do a Keto diet. It seems that South Beach isn't as low carb as keto, and I want to shoot for at least 90g protein.

I'm also realizing (based on some of the replies plus from a lot of good nutrition advice I've seen on here from people who have been at it for a long time), I don't think a super low carb diet would fit for me.

I also realized (being more a stickler at tracking my food in the last few days) that I consume waaaaay more carbs out of habit than I realized! I assumed because I didn't really eat bread or pasta very often (usually less than once every week or two), I wasn't getting too many carbs. WRONG! So I've become more aware and am simply shooting for a lower amount...preferably not above 150g (that's at 50% for me I believe) but trying to hit closer to 100g so I can get 30% of my calories from protein.

Thank you for all the help and advice! I'll continue to look at and get ideas for lower carb options and read the advice given to others as well!

As a side note...I tried mock mashed "potatoes" cauliflower yesterday. It was delicious...definitely will be utilizing that more!

The poster who started the group I linked is a big fan of SB and still around here occasionally -- @Sabine_Stroehm.

She always described SB as not low carb, but slow carb (before that name got taken over by some awful fad diet), and explained that it just focused on using whole food and higher fiber sources as your primary carbs. Veg, fruit, whole grains, beans and lentils, tubers, nuts and seeds. That always sounded pretty sensible to me, although I have not read the book (I think there's an old and new version).

IIRC, Sabine was pretty adamant that the old (blue/teal) book was superior.

I don't think I was, because the supercharged one is my favorite. It explains the science better. But both are superior to the dumb mail order food option.
  • sarahjen92
    sarahjen92 Posts: 64 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I started the South Beach diet today and need ideas! I did it a few years ago and basically had protein shakes, cottage cheese, various egg recipes, meat and tons a veggies for phase 1.

I’m trying add some more variety now, but during the first phase, there’s not much to work with. Ideally, I want recipes I can still use even when I’m no longer on the strict part of the diet.

What I really need are quick, few ingredient (or at least ingredients that are generally on hand) recipes, particularly for breakfast and lunch!

My typical “breakfast” is coffee (with a pack of stevia and 2-4 tbsp. light cream) and a protein bar that I graze on throughout the early morning (I’m on horses at work starting at 6am, so has to be on-the-move food). My protein bars are not low carb, so I’m trying to come up with a game plan to replace them until I can add them back!

Desserts is another thing I would love to get ideas for! My favorite thing is, unfortunately, plain Greek yogurt, granola and honey (no-go for the first two weeks 😩). I’m not wild about Greek yogurt on it’s own...I tried adding cocoa powder and stevia...didn’t quite hit the spot! So I’ve settled for a cup of whole milk with sugar-free chocolate syrup tonight.

I came in around 72 grams of carbs today (23 of those was from my protein bar), so seems a bit high for a low-carb diet?

Hit me with your tried-and-true recipes and I welcome any advice from those who have done this route as a “reset”!
    Are you doing the original SB? It wasn't a low carb diet. The creator has come out with a low carb diet, recently, so perhaps you mean that one.

Yes, the original. The first phase is low carb (I should say when I look it up, 20-60g is considered low-carb). As a whole, it's not low carb. I'm referring to the first phase in this post. Second phase is a breeze :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Yes, the original. The first phase is low carb (I should say when I look it up, 20-60g is considered low-carb). As a whole, it's not low carb. I'm referring to the first phase in this post. Second phase is a breeze :)

Where did you get the 20-60 grams? I'm not seeing that number in my book.