CrossFit-where do I log this?

Options
I've been doing CrossFit twice a week and I'm trying to figure out where I should log this.. Under cardiovascular or under strength training? When I put it in the cardiovascular it says almost 600 calories burned. Is this accurate?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Cardiovascular, then circuit training or calesthenics.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    I’ve been putting mine under created workouts in cardio. At my box, the workout can burn many calories or not so many - depends on the day etc.

So, on days where there is a partner WOD or skill training and or weights followed by a short WOD, I put 450 calories. On other days with longer WOd or I feel it was intense, I put in 600 calories. I weigh approx 200 lbs so I think I burn more calories than average.

This feels right based on MFP tracking - maybe even on the low side. But I’d rather underestimate the calories burned than over.

If you think about how many calories the assault bike or rower say you burned v. Your exertion, that might help your estimate. 600 calls on the rower would take me approx. 35 minutes and I feel like that’s about what I expend in a typical hour if you think about startup time, warmup, cool down etc.
  • Aporia1983
    Aporia1983 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies. I just started crossfit a month ago and am still learning a lot of the moves. Some classes have a longer more intense metcon than others do. I'm still not sure if I'm burning that many calories though! I'd rather underestimate the calories burned than overestimate.

When I log my walking, the pedometer on my phone says I'm only burning around 300 calories while the database here says I'm burning around 370.

I'm still not eating all the calories back.

By the way, I'm Hannah! I'm new to MFP and I just wanted to say hi and thank you for having me in your community!
  • ajwait99709
    ajwait99709 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, my Apple Watch reports between 300 and 500 for a 45 minute Crossfit session, not tracking during the pre-workout stretching but including the "Activation", skills, and/or WOD. For calibration, my watch reported 715 cals last Sunday for 6 miles at 4 mph (14:59 average), while the Exercise here estimates at 788. Really depends on the type of workout with the bodyweight workouts the highest, and the strength the lowest. That said, I'm pretty strength limited as I just started. Knee pushups after 20, no pull-ups, strict press 5 rep max at 80 lbs. Probably higher for somebody in better shape.