How much should I weigh?

Options
I have looked at dozens of websites using all kinds of formulas but I still don't know how much I should weigh. I am 5'7 Male and weighing 155 right now. My goal was 150 but at 155, when I look in the mirror I still have a little "Muffin top" showing and a little fat in my belly. My upper abs are showing but I am looking for a 6 pack, not a 4 pack with a side order of belly roll...

How much do you people think I should weigh? I don't really mean what is healthy, probably where I am at is a decent healthy weight, I mean what is it going to take to get that last fat off. Less than 150 pounds just sounds wimpy to me...lol.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Drawing a line at an arbitrary weight is kinda silly.

I'd recommend getting a decent bf analysis (bodpod/hydro) and using that to assist you in setting goals.

If you're not particularly muscular, dropping under 150 is quite reasonable at 5'7 - if your objective is a 6-pack.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Why look at a specific number? Why not try to reduce your body fat and go from there?
  • davekyguy
    davekyguy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Certainly lowering my body fat content is the goal, it just seems like the only way to do that is going under 150 which sounds kind of low.

Muscularly I have very athletic build. I worked out hard for years and then backed off the last 2. I am getting back into weightlifting again now,
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I keep reading that you can't build muscle and eat at a deficit at the same time. It sounds like you're in the ballpark weightwise (you are at a healthy weight, though the healthy range probably includes some higher and lower points on the scale). Since you are close, it might be useful to eat at maintenance for 6-8 weeks and concentrate on building muscle. At the end of that time, evaluate how you feel about your appearance and then either continue at dietary maintenance and keep building muscle or go back to eating at a small deficit and work at maintaining muscle mass. Keep re-evaluating every 6-8 weeks til you are 100% happy and then work to maintain both weight and muscle (within plus/minus 5-10 pounds of "ideal" as defined by yourself)
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Certainly lowering my body fat content is the goal, it just seems like the only way to do that is going under 150 which sounds kind of low.

Muscularly I have very athletic build. I worked out hard for years and then backed off the last 2. I am getting back into weightlifting again now,

Well, if you're running 18% bf at 155, you simply don't have the lean mass to support a 6-pack at 150. If you're ~13%, you might be able to drop 5 lbs and look like you want to look in the mirror. That's why you need to get a good bf test to really figure this out.

Not sure what the hangup is with 150 though. With most activities, you're flat out better off being lighter than heavier.
  • davekyguy
    Options
    That sounds like a good idea, pretty much what I have been thinking about before I threw out the question.

I haven't read that you can't gain muscle while eating at a deficit but it does seem to be at least partially true.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I haven't read that you can't gain muscle while eating at a deficit but it does seem to be at least partially true.

It's completely true, particularly if you are not new to weightlifting. Seems like you might want to consider a cut/bulk program once your bf% is low enough.
  • davekyguy
    Options

Not sure what the hangup is with 150 though. With most activities, you're flat out better off being lighter than heavier.
  • davekyguy
    Options
    That's what she said,,,

I mean, yeah, I was just now looking online trying to see where I can get a body fat test done.