Can I do more if I feel I can....

Options
Hey All

So I just started getting back into running a couple of weeks ago but due to not wanting to injure myself of course I've really slowed it down (like slower than slow) and I'm thoroughly enjoying it...The past few runs I've managed between 2.3km - 2.7km. I do these runs in the morning but come late afternoon I feel like I want to go again :-)

So my question is if I felt like I had it in me do go again a few hours later can I or am I just setting myself up for an injury?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    If you're only doing 2-3 km. you should be okay to run again later. OTOH, if you have the energy, you could do another activity instead that works different muscles like Yoga, pilates, calisthenics, weights . . . Or just go for a brisk walk, so you get the exercise without as much impact.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'd find some other way to burn off that excess energy (biking, rowing, swimming etc) that is low or no impact.

You didn't say how long a break you took (you're getting back into running) and may have lost much of the physiological adaptations needed for longer distances.

What you might want to try is increasing your training volume by a little more than the rule of thumb 10% week over week and see how you feel.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    I do 2 workouts in one day. Cardio in the morning, lifting in the evening, 2-3x per week. Once or twice a week I'll do a cardio workout in the morning and then go run. You just have to increase slowly and listen to your body.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I go home and run on my lunch break with my dogs. We go about a mile and then I come home change and head back to work. After work we go back out and can go longer. After work is usually 1-4 miles.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Trust your body. You can push it a little and ease back when it feels like too much.