plantar fasciitis

Options
Can anyone help me please. I have plantar fasciitis in both feet. been living with it for a while but since I started dieting a week ago (need to lose 3 stone) and increased my walking to 3 miles 4 times a week I can hardly put my foot to the floor. I've seen the doc and got some stretching ideas from him. But I forgot to ask whether I should keep up walking and push through the pain or rest up. Any advice woulx be appreciated thanks

Replies

• nhawduran
    nhawduran Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that when I started doing strength workout videos regularly, like four times a week, my plantar fasciitis disappeared. I don't know why, but I've heard that from other people too. The impact of walking seems to make it worse, but regular lower body with low impact made it go away. The other thing that helped me was when I was sitting or lying down watching tv, I put my foot flat against the coffee table in front of me. Apparently that stretches out the tendon that wants to scrunch up while you're lying down with your toes pointed down. But the exercise was the game changer. Good luck!
  • YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm not a physician, but I had/have PF in my left foot since early July 2019. I'm to the point where I can self-manage and improve without the therapy visits, so here's my experience. My Doc sent me to a Physical Therapist that does Astym therapy for this. PF can take a l-l-long time to get over, as it's pretty hard to get any rest for your feet when you're using your feet every day. And, as mentioned above, that tendon does scrunch back up when your toes are pointed for any time and that can "un-do" any progress you make. The general idea is to stretch and strengthen both the foot and calf. In addition to Astym, other excercises and stretches were "toe yoga" (entertaining as heck to start...everyone should try this), using therapy bands to stretch the calf/foot and for toe/foot presses and abduction/adduction (rotate foot all 4 directions against band), stretching the calf with straight-leg and bent knee incline boards. As things progressed, they added in walking around the gym on my toes with dumbells, standing body weight toe presses to strengthen the foot/calf. And always ice! I found a more-cylindrical pop bottle and keep it in the freezer for daily use. Works better than a bag and never leaks. By the end, they got me to where I could pick up a hand towel off a smooth floor with just my foot. Finally, maybe the most useful thing to keep that tendon loose during the day if you're at a desk is to get a hard ball (mine is a Lacrosse ball), and just roll your foot around for as much as you can stand it. Hope this helps, and good luck!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Call your doctor back. Pushing through the pain, your body is trying to tell you something. Sports and rehab doctors can teach you how to tape your own feet while you're healing. They'll assess what's going on so you don't cause further damage.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Go back to your doctor and ask. Also ask for a referral to a physical therapist who can help with possible exercises/stretches and/or ideas for exercise while you heal.

The internet is overflowing with anecdotal cures for PF which range from random supplements, assorted foot products, barefoot/zero drop shoes, all manner of different exercise programs, compression, probably aliens too.

I’ve been able to manage mine with insoles, eliminating all barefoot & zero drop shoes, SLOW progression in activity and extensive stretching.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    There are so many variables and no one here is going to diagnose or give medical advice.
    Pain is the precursor to change. Pain is always trying to tell us something and encourage us to make those changes that will hopefully last for the foreseeable future.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    When mine was really bad, I wore a sleeping boot for a time until I could get to the point of managing it with regular stretching and arch support insoles.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Not to sound arrogant, but I consider myself THE expert on plantar fasciitis. I have struggled with it for 20 years, off and on, because I jog and play soccer and tennis, and generally refuse to take any time off.
    Even when I could barely walk afterward.
    In my experience, you need to do two things.
    Get Superfeet insoles. Put a pair in every pair of shoes you have and never go without them. (You'll have to strengthen your feet eventually, but not until after you get it 100 percent better.)
    Next, there is a stretch you need to do. I found this stretch because I was so frustrated with the pain that I thought I would have to get surgery. Then i found out the surgery might relieve your pain, but your feet will never be the same.
    The stretch was developed by a Dr. DiGiovanni. He knew there were people who were directed to stretch and wear a night boot and never got better. And he found this stretch, a better stretch, where you include the toes in it.
    In a trial of about 100 people who had tried everything else to no avail, about 80-90 percent got significantly better. And it works for me unconditionally. When i do this stretch every day, my PF goes away, completely in 1-2 months.
    See the stretch here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6xAC0RGGaQ
    P.S. You can also do this stretch -- perhaps even more effectively -- by kneeling down in what yogis know as hero's pose, with your toes flat on the floor and the sole of your pointing at the wall behind you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYKTf0RAJ38
    Good luck
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I have to say it's all different for every body. I lost 86 pounds and my feet felt fabulous for bout 3 years. Then the pain came back. I worked for a year trying different shoes, inserts, levels of exercise and walking. Then my right foot went down for the count. I couldn't even work through the pain. It affected my foot, ankle, and calf. No amount of stretching and exercise could fit it. The podiatrist gave me a list of inserts and shoes and stretching. None seem to work. I was on crutches around the house and a rolling scooter out in public. I saw massage therapists of all kinds. I saw a nutritionist. I saw a chiropractor.

Finally, after about a year it started easing up and I'm now able to fully exercise again, but it's not back to pre fasciitis state.

I've also had it for over 20 years and thought I was an expert on managing it until it my foot just felt broke.

Don't give up. Keep trying anything and every thing.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    "When i do this stretch every day, my PF goes away, completely in 1-2 months."

I'm not sure how 20 years of dealing with it and "goes away completely" go in the same sentence. This is something that in my experience, never really goes away. The symptoms can lessen significantly, but it lurks.

OP, you need to see someone and get a good routine to sort of rehab it. Whatever you do, don't work through the pain. You're only delaying recovery. There are things you absolutely SHOULD do and things you absolutely SHOULD NOT do. Find out what is on those two lists and follow them religiously. I am still doing most of the PT for mine, just as prevention. It's been gone for 5 years. But it meant a total change of my fitness routine and daily care.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    "When i do this stretch every day, my PF goes away, completely in 1-2 months."

I'm not sure how 20 years of dealing with it and "goes away completely" go in the same sentence. This is something that in my experience, never really goes away. The symptoms can lessen significantly, but it lurks.

OP, you need to see someone and get a good routine to sort of rehab it. Whatever you do, don't work through the pain. You're only delaying recovery. There are things you absolutely SHOULD do and things you absolutely SHOULD NOT do. Find out what is on those two lists and follow them religiously. I am still doing most of the PT for mine, just as prevention. It's been gone for 5 years. But it meant a total change of my fitness routine and daily care.

I simply did not go into the details.
    As I said, I run 6-8 miles at a time, play tennis, and, most importantly, used to play soccer, where you experience a lot of turning, torquing and sprinting.
    For the longest time, I did not know about this stretch. I wore Superfeet, My PF would start to get better. I'd play a really hard soccer game, or go for a really long run, and I would re-aggravate it.
    I presume that over time I just developed scar tissue, which wasn't strong, which made me prone to recurrence.

The problem with PF is that the plantar fascia is really tough, sturdy tissue. Because so much pressure is put on it, and it needs to be so strong, it heals very slowly.
    This is part of the explanation of why the night boot works. The night boot idea originated in the military. Back before physical therapists became versed in this condition, the PF experts were boot-camp, drill sergeants. Why? Because they took often sedentary, overweight kids and made them march with a heavy pack on their back. Miles and miles. Not surprisingly, PF was very common.
    The drill sergeants' solution was a new pair of stiff boots, worn at night in bed. They recognized that the plantar fascia heals quite slowly. It also tends not to heal much during the day, because you are always moving around and stretching and contracting it. This does not allow the new, healing tissue to knit and grow strong.
    Healing does occur at night, when your weight is off your feet, however. Unfortunately, in part because you are under covers, which curl your feet, the healing occurs in a shortened position. So, when you stand up, and your weight is suddenly on your feet, the feet get stretched out, and much of the healing that took place over night gets torn and undone. This is why those first steps in hurt the worst.
    The stiff army boots -- and the night boot -- hold the foot in an elongated position, which allows the foot to heal in an elongated position, which prevents that reinjury every morning, which over time adds up to more, better healing.

That's the problem with PF. The healing is slow and very fragile. It is hard to make progress and really easy to take a step back.

PLEASE, try the stretch. It is super effective! If you don't believe me, read the research reports.
    Below are links to the second study Dr. DiGiovanni did on his stretch. I cannot find a link to a full copy of the original study. But the press release (first link) to the second study mentions that the first study found that, using the stretch, patients who had found little relief before had a 75 percent chance of being pain free and/or returning to full activity within three to six months.
    And, as you will see, when 82 of these patients were followed up at two years, ninety-two percent were totally satisfied or had only minor complaints. Ninety-four percent reported a decrease in pain. And, 77 percent reported having no limitations in recreational activity!
    It doesn't cost anything, either.
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/11/061101150739.htm
    http://uppercanadasportsmedicine.com/documents/Plantar Fasciitis reading.pdf
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    ^ And I second getting a boot for nighttime. But read reviews and get a good one. I went cheap at first, and ended up buying a better one after about 2-3 months. They're not comfortable, but they're not supposed to be. Like @GiddyupTim said, night is when your foot needs attention because it wants to curl up instead of stretch out.
  • megaabel
    megaabel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I suffered from this last year on my left foot. It was awful to the point where I couldn't walk in the am.
    Then I discovered Boost by Nike. OMG, these sneakers aren't cheap, but they come in a million colors and I wear them daily. My foot stopped hurting within a few days and I haven't suffered from any pain since. When I have to be dressed up or have an important meeting, I use inserts by Dr. Scholtz and that works! But Boost by Nike are a life saver!! Give them a try!!!
  • Rakesh_M
    Rakesh_M Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been suffering for more than 1 year. I run so this also tends to aggrevate the pain.
    Been through several physio therapy sessions.
    They key is consistant and regulary stretching, doing 2-3 times a day. Strecthing from the calf muscles down to the foot. Rolling you foot with a frozen water bottle is also very helpful.
    Check the attached image for some strectches
  • MattHilburn
    MattHilburn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I started wearing cowboy boots with a tall hill. It help tremendously for me. Stretching and losing weight helped me too
  • polvo71
    polvo71 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I’ve had it several times and cured it with an insert called Heel That Pain. It works. Now I wear proper shoes to keep it from coming back. Specifically I live in flip flops at home and worn from hi ole a lot. This is what cause my second bought. Now I wear Olukai flip flops which has the arch support I need.
  • polvo71
    polvo71 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Here is the link
    https://heelthatpain.com/
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    My GP sent me to a physiotherapist who prescribed a plantar and calf stretch which remedied my case in a few weeks.

You need a slant board for the calf stretch. You can either buy this (google calf stretch slant board) or gaffer tape a 12x12 inch piece of plywood to a thick phone book (at least 2 inches).

Stand on it with your toes raised for 10 minutes at a time at least twice a day. I set up my stretch station in front of the bathroom sink so did the stretch while brushing teeth and drying hair.
  • 2omonths
    2omonths Posts: 94 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Thank you too all that have commented .. on ways of relief for Plantar Fasciitis!!
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Night splints helped me tremendously when my plantar fasciitis wandered back and forth to each foot and then finally settled in both at once... There are many different splint designs to look at.

I didn't even need to tighten the splints so I could comfortably wear them all night loose enough to quickly get them on and off. Others have reported that wearing them tight for just a couple of hours (not necessarily when sleeping, other times are fine also as long as you don't have to walk in them). Apparently I just needed a little tension to keep the calf muscle as it needed to be to avoid morning pain.

A good free downloadable booklet of info on plantar fasciitis and things to try is at Scott's site: heelspurs.com. Look for the technical drawing of a foot on the home page to make sure you are in the right site.

I actually bought my night splints and some other things from that site, so it's trustworthy for that. Scott has a small list of things for sale that have been most recommended by people in the forums and such, and there are reviews from people who had good and bad experiences with aids both offered on the site and purchased elsewhere. Scott's free booklet also gives instructions for do-it-yourself approaches.
  • christinacrudd
    christinacrudd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I saw a PT and started doing the exercises prescribed- toe scrunching, toe yoga, the pf stretch, standing on one leg with eyes closed, ramp to stretch calves... but THE BEST THING was dry needling for my calf muscles! So weird, but so effective!