Trading Coffee for Tea

I love coffee. But I also love the creamer I use...and at 40 calories/tablespoon that's a lot of calories to use daily. I know I could work on cutting down on the creamer, but honestly the flavor of the cream is something I enjoy. So I think during the work week, I am going to stop drinking coffee in the mornings and go over to teas. I just don't care for plain black tea, but I love herbals, and fruity teas. And trust me I have a bunch.
I am just going to need to talk the FH into getting an electric tea kettle. Cause then he could have have hot tea to take into the office as well in the mornings!

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    You could always just arrange your day to include those calories. I love my coffee and the thought of drinking it black or not at all makes me sad. I use 100 calories worth of heavy cream and I just plan my day around that.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    When I could drink coffee, I always used milk (Fairlife non-fat) and Skinny brand syrups. Maybe 10-20 calories per extra large mug. I thought it tasted great, but I'm like the opposite of snobby when it comes to food.

Now (with GERD), I drink either Tazo Passion tea or water. So much (plain, boring) water. Sigh. Coffee sounds wonderful!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I weaned myself off creamer slowly, and now just drink my coffee black.

I did find I need to buy better coffee. Stuff like Folger's I can't drink black.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    I have always enjoyed my coffee black, but the caffeine in coffee affects more noticeably than tea. So the bonus of me switching to tea was an ability to consume more fluids per day. There is also something to be said about what coffee you drink and how you drink it to make black more palatable. I prefer a low acid dark roast, cold brewed for a very smooth cup.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    I drink black coffee and plain black or oolong tea. I usually have coffee in the morning and tea the rest of the day.

Make my coffee freshly ground w/a French press. Keep a large pot of tea on the stove top to heat up by the cup in the microwave as desired.

The caffeine in coffee/tea has little effect on me but the more acidic nature of coffee causes me to limit drinking it to only once a day in the morning.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I drink mine black. However, about once a month or so, I do indulge in my favorite Starbucks drink. A grande white chocolate mocha made with skim milk and no whipped cream. So good! And a earned treat.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I love black coffee, but I am limiting it (due to caffeine) and have one cup in the morning followed by herbal tea. I think saving the coffee with cream as a special treat for the weekends is a good plan if you find the tea is satisfying enough.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I wish I could find a tea that I liked. I drink coffee 2x a day, milk and a tsp. of sugar. Tea just seems healthier to me but haven't found one I truly like.
    If you're happy switching out your coffee for tea during the week and it doesn't feel like a sacrifice to you, then do it. :)
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    I generally grab a coffee everyday and I used to get 2 creams 2 sugars, I slowly changed that down to 1 cream 1 sugar, and now I get skim milk and a flavor shot which is around 50-70 calories for the coffee now. Maybe you could try something like that. I like the suggestion that once a month get your favorite coffee drink as a treat as well, but you might still be able to enjoy coffee just with less calories!
  • pence429
    pence429 Posts: 28 Member
    I did exactly this for exactly the same reasons. I still drink 2 or 3 cups of coffee with half and half each morning and a cup with dinner. During the day, I switched to herbal teas.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    I sympathize with your love of cream. Have you tried making unsweetened lattes at home? I add a sprinkle of cinnamon or unsweetened cocoa to my foamed milk and now I don’t miss coffee creamer. I also make green tea lattes the same way with a sprinkle of matcha on top.