Avocados

Options

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I was inspired and just had sliced turkey and avocado open face sandwich. LOVE my avocado. :) Funny how our tastes can change because a few years ago, I tried them and did NOT like them at all.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    For those of you that eat the Florida Avocados, how do you know that they are ripe? Is it the same as the Haas and just the feel? My grocery store does carry the Florida ones but I've always been nervous to buy them for some reason. I love avocados and always have them on hand, and was even inspired by this post and had Avocado Toast for breakfast yesterday :)

The Florida ones get soft just like the Haas ones.

I grew up in Florida and I prefer the Haas ones, too. The Florida ones don't have as intense of flavor, and the flesh is a bit pithier. Blander and not as creamy.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    For those of you that eat the Florida Avocados, how do you know that they are ripe? Is it the same as the Haas and just the feel? My grocery store does carry the Florida ones but I've always been nervous to buy them for some reason. I love avocados and always have them on hand, and was even inspired by this post and had Avocado Toast for breakfast yesterday :)

I grew up in Florida and I prefer the Haas ones, too. The Florida ones don't have as intense of flavor, and the flesh is a bit pithier. Blander and not as creamy.

Agreed, though the Florida are less calorie dense and when they are in season here, I get them super cheap!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options

n36g0dguhu5t.jpeg

Yes it's mostly the feel. They tend to have the same 15 minute ripe period between unripe and overripe that the Hass ones do 😂.

Ours technically aren't "Florida" avocados as they are grown here locally in Panama, although I think they mostly share characteristics with the Florida one vs. The Hass. We have so many different breeds of non Hass ones that are different sizes, colors, and flavor profiles. Some turn purple. I've even had one weird breed that turns a shade of red. Some of the creamy Hass type flavor, others are a bit more dry.

We do get Hass here too (imported and super pricey), and to me a good local one stacks up pretty well in the flavor department. The local ones that compare best are called avocados de mantequilla (butter avocados).

I'm always at a loss of what to log them though. Nobody here has any idea. I don't know if they have FL calorie levels or Hass calorie levels. I go back and forth a lot based on how I feel like the specific avocado tastes (whether it tastes like a creamier breed or not), which is not exactly scientific.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

Agreed, though the Florida are less calorie dense and when they are in season here, I get them super cheap!

We had both kinds of trees in my yard.

I remember a large limb breaking off either due to heavy fruit or some other reason, but I put two large boxes of Florida avocados out by the road with FREE! signs. I don't think we got rid of them, and that was just one limb.
  • thatsmejb
    thatsmejb Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    These are the type of avocadoes we get by me. Bigger than your hand!

c4rmoylr1qzs.jpg

I had avocados like that in HI and they were amazing!!
  • thatsmejb
    thatsmejb Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have an avocado almost everyday at lunch, I just make it fit my macros for the day :)
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I eat them a couple times a week, 1/4 of an avocado is considered a serving, so if you are eating the whole thing at once, you can cut it down. Also avocados have good fats in them, so are good to eat, and are a great alternative to things such as mayo because its gives you the creaminess but without the bad fat or calories
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I eat them a couple times a week, 1/4 of an avocado is considered a serving, so if you are eating the whole thing at once, you can cut it down. Also avocados have good fats in them, so are good to eat, and are a great alternative to things such as mayo because its gives you the creaminess but without the bad fat or calories

What someone else "considers a serving" is not a reason to limit oneself to that amount.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    Haas avocados are on sale this next week for .79 each!! How can I keep them longer without going bad? :(
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Haas avocados are on sale this next week for .79 each!! How can I keep them longer without going bad? :(

you can freeze avocado. Peel them and put them in a freezer bag.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options

Thanks! Does it affect their taste or texture very much and how long can I keep them? I'm planning to stock up. :)
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    They will last a few months in freezer bag. The best thing to do is add about a tbsp lemon juice to each avocado and cut them up or puree them before freezing to prevent browning. Make sure to get all the air out of the bag before freezing... they taste the same once thawed.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

Thanks! Does it affect their taste or texture very much and how long can I keep them? I'm planning to stock up. :)

I've only ever used frozen avocados in smoothies. I can't attest from experience what it does to the texture for purposes like salads, sandwiches, and avocado toast, but I wouldn't be optimistic, as my experience with produce in general is that freezing them renders them unpleasant for most raw applications (in the smoothies, I use them still frozen for thickening and iciness, so the texture change is OK).
  • MikePTY
    Options

You can also refridgetate them, which doesn't affect their taste and texture as much. They last several days at least in the fridge.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I love avocado, but I don't feel confident to pick out ripe ones. Even though I have read multiple blogs and watched multiple videos on how to pick out ripe avocados. If I could find someone to pick out the perfect avocado (I am very picky about my fresh fruits and vegetables) I would eat avocado everyday. And...yes I know I can ripen an avocado before eating it, but I have the same issue. When is it ripe??
  • MikePTY
    Options
    I love avocado, but I don't feel confident to pick out ripe ones. Even though I have read multiple blogs and watched multiple videos on how to pick out ripe avocados. If I could find someone to pick out the perfect avocado (I am very picky about my fresh fruits and vegetables) I would eat avocado everyday. And...yes I know I can ripen an avocado before eating it, but I have the same issue. When is it ripe??

Well you could always marry someone from Latin America. Then you'll have a spouse who is an expert at knowing when an avocado is ripe :D I am getting somewhat good at it myself but my wife has charge over the avocados and knowing when they've hit perfect ripeness for eating/refridgeration. We still miss it sometimes. The truth is there is a little trial and error involved. It should be soft to the touch where you can make a fair indent with your finger, but not so much that it feels mushy. The best way is to suffer through a few less than perfect avocados to know the "feel" better.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    The best way is to suffer through a few less than perfect avocados to know the "feel" better.

Yeah, this. I can tell now, but it took a few mistakes.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

I have much better results picking ones that aren't ripe and letting them ripen at home. When I buy ones that are already ripe in the store, they generally have bruised spots. It's ripe when it just barely gives at the top (stem end/narrow end).
  • lmkbee
    lmkbee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat an avocado a day. Expensive, yes, but worth giving up something else like cheese or Irish cream in my coffee 😃