HIIT, TABATA, ETC NOT LISTED

jbjoey
jbjoey Posts: 3 Member
So the exercise choices really annoy me. No entry for Tabata, HIIT or other popular group classes. Also, the choices for strength really annoy me as well. I do a session with a personal trainer and have to put in each exercise INDIVIDUALLY??????

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    The strength training part is specifically for logging your reps. To get your strength training logged as exercise in your food diary, use the strength training entry in the cardio section.

For HIIT or tabata, you would log what you're actually doing - running, calisthenics, jumping rope, etc.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    You can input your own exercises. I have some for Tabata or HIIT. Usually they're named things like Tabata is trying to kill me or High Intensity Is Torture cause funny names are fun. You can google and online calorie burn calculator and get a calorie burn from there
    Just remember any calorie burn isn't a precise science. I typically just assign a low number for the burn
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    jbjoey wrote: »
    So the exercise choices really annoy me. No entry for Tabata, HIIT or other popular group classes. Also, the choices for strength really annoy me as well. I do a session with a personal trainer and have to put in each exercise INDIVIDUALLY??????

While you were searching the database for those other workouts, why didn't you search for weights or strength training?

It's there.

For HIIT, just log the workout for pace you did.

Like if you did a running HIIT workout and averaged 8 min pace because you ended up doing 2 miles in 16 min - there ya go.

Tabata as a program study done on a bike, can hopefully use a bike that gives you watts, which may have calories too, and therefor be right on.

Don't be shocked that intervals don't actually burn as many calories as just a very intense cardio session does.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 988 Member
    For HIIT I wear a heartrate monitor then either transfer the burn to MFP or add them as calories burned manual entry.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    How would they be able to have them? HIIT and Tabata are largely marketing terms that are applied to a wide range of classes, the vast majority of which are not proper HIIT or Tabata. So whatever actual exercises you do in those classes, that's what you should log.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    csplatt wrote: »
    For HIIT I wear a heartrate monitor then either transfer the burn to MFP or add them as calories burned manual entry.

FYI - HR monitor formula for estimating calorie burn is only valid for steady-state aerobic exercise, same HR for 2-4 min minimum. Farther you get from that the more inflated they are, below or above.

Your HIIT workout is the opposite of that on all counts - anaerobic if doing it right, HR up and down constantly.

You will get inflated calorie burn from HRM.

Then again, if it's only 15-20 min a few times weekly in an otherwise active lifestyle - then the calories from that inflation are minor in comparison even if 100% inflated.

But if long periods of time in otherwise sedentary lifestyle - then might be meaningful.