How long to see results? Clean eating vs calorie counting?

Options

Replies

• Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    How long will results last? Clean eating or calorie counting? Both! Clean eating at the right amount of calories to fuel your activity, not just mere starvation.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I saw first results after 2 months, but we are all different. It's my 8th month now. I think 1200 cal is 1200 cal no matter what you eat but eating clean gives you more food in 1200 :)
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    abooutely yes, as not all calories are careated equally...1200 calories of veggies is far different 1200 of french fries and cheeseburgers...

A calorie is a unit of measure, so, according to your logic, a foot = 12 inches when measuring oak, but not 12 inches when measuring pine.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I think its going to depend on a few things...including clean eating and calorie counting. In my experience, I tried just calorie counting with exercise but I really did not see any results until I started eating cleaner. Now the scale is moving on a regular basis. Good Luck! You will have to find out what works for you. Everyone is different.
  • totallydelirious
    Options
    It depends on what you're aiming for. Your body needs all sorts of food groups - fats, carbohydrates, protein, and yes, fruit and veggies. You need all of them for your body to fully function. Your body better processes fats from things like nuts rather than animal fats. You also only need small quantities of things like fat, sugar and salt in your diet (things which burgers are full of), but a lot more vitamins and minerals which you have to eat an array of fruit and vegetables to get. Eating 'clean' i always view as eating the right amounts of the different nutrients your body requires to make it healthy. You should aim to be healthy, not just skinny!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're aiming for. Your body needs all sorts of food groups - fats, carbohydrates, protein, and yes, fruit and veggies. You need all of them for your body to fully function. Your body better processes fats from things like nuts rather than animal fats. You also only need small quantities of things like fat, sugar and salt in your diet (things which burgers are full of), but a lot more vitamins and minerals which you have to eat an array of fruit and vegetables to get. Eating 'clean' i always view as eating the right amounts of the different nutrients your body requires to make it healthy. You should aim to be healthy, not just skinny!
    LOL
  • ragingmrs
    Options
    [/quote]

You cannot say " clean eating versus calorie counting " because from a weight loss standpoint they have nothing to do with each other. You could lose weight by eating exclusively pop tarts and drinking Coke as long as you count calories and stay at a deficit.
    I have eaten healthy and non processed food for the last 40 years and still got fat, because even brown rice and beans have calories ( yes, who would have thought that ? ) and I ate too much of them. While I would suggest that you eat healthy to feel good but understand that it is your choice, you HAVE to count calories and eat at a deficit, no matter what you eat, to lose weight.
    [/quote]

I agree that the calories are still there as I am in the same boat as you with clean eating but just eating too much of it and not exercising enough. But, if the majority of the American public ate clean instead of processed foods they would lose weight by the merit that processed foods tend to be more calorically dense and be less nutritious.

At 5'2" and 200 lbs eating clean, I know if I were to eat the standard American diet I would probably weigh half again as much as I do now.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    1200 calories of clean food

1200 calories of food

no difference. its still 1200 calories.

ThisThisThisThisThis

If you eat an excess of "Clean foods".. you will still gain weight.

If you track macros to the T on deficit eating "dirty foods".. you will make 10x more progress

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDyY8mfrjP0

LOL
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    In for the inevitable

heheheheheheheheheheh!!!!!!!
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    On the clean eating question, you would probably feel terrible in both scenarios. The 1200 in fruit and veggies only will leave you feeling bad because you won't be getting any protein and fat, and the cheeseburger and fries would be like one sandwich and a regular size order of fries for the whole day, leaving you starving most of the time.

Balance is the key. Eat a variety of foods, fruits and vegetables, lean meat, dairy, whole grains, and fats. Have a cheeseburger and fries once in a while. Live your life.

ETA: You have very little weight to lose. You'll get better results by eating more, not less. Try setting your goals at 1/2 pound a week and then making up the additional calorie deficit in exercise, instead of just eating a low calorie diet. Unless you have over 100 pounds to lose, severe calorie restriction doesn't work very well.

All of this. And, if you really want to see a difference in your body, exercise is important. Eating a low calorie diet will help you lose a few pounds no matter how you go about it, but your body won't look much different unless you build some muscle tone with exercise

Also, please make sure that the 1200 calorie goal is actually correct for your weight, height, age, activity level, etc.. I know it's popular right now to automatically drop to 1200 calories, but it's actually too low for many people.
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I tried both methods, and this is what I learned. Balance is key, and protein is necessary! Try just mixing it up with healthy foods and non-healthy foods within your calorie allotment. I tried 1200 calories eating clean, and I felt like my stomach was going to die. I wasn't eating enough protein to keep me full. If you eat a lot of protein while eating clean, you should be fine. Now, I balance my meals with healthy and non-healthy food/drinks. I'm still losing weight. I noticed that exercising and burning at least 200 calories per day has helped me a lot too.

*Do what works for you! But, if you do eat clean, eat protein! :)
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I think its going to depend on a few things...including clean eating and calorie counting. In my experience, I tried just calorie counting with exercise but I really did not see any results until I started eating cleaner. Now the scale is moving on a regular basis. Good Luck! You will have to find out what works for you. Everyone is different.

No, everyone is not different.
  • mud7urtle
    mud7urtle Posts: 500
    Options
    I tried both methods, and this is what I learned. Balance is key, and protein is necessary! Try just mixing it up with healthy foods and non-healthy foods within your calorie allotment. I tried 1200 calories eating clean, and I felt like my stomach was going to die. I wasn't eating enough protein to keep me full. If you eat a lot of protein while eating clean, you should be fine. Now, I balance my meals with healthy and non-healthy food/drinks. I'm still losing weight. I noticed that exercising and burning at least 200 calories per day has helped me a lot too.

Disregard this post OP
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options

Disregard this post OP

Why disregard her post?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hi :) For the last week I've been counting calories trying to lose weight and I was just wondering how long it will take to see some results? Also, what sort of results can I expect at different times?
    My other question is about eating "clean" vs counting calories. Will your body undergo the same transformation if I eat 1200 calories of veggies and fruit as it would if I (hypothetically) eat 1200 calories of French fries and cheeseburgers? Thank you and good luck!!!

A lot longer than a week. Also, just eat a balanced diet and get your proper nutrition...then go get your fitness on...don't over complicate what is not complicated.
  • mommy3457
    Options

Disregard this post OP

I don't eat 1200 calories still. It was a rough trial and error/experiment. I'm not sure what I said that is dismissive. I do TDEE now. I don't know...lol. I eat whatever I want too. I exercise now more than I used to.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

I agree with most of this :smile:
  • mud7urtle
    Options

Disregard this post OP

I don't eat 1200 calories still. It was a rough trial and error/experiment. I'm not sure what I said that is dismissive. I do TDEE now. I don't know...lol.

You're implying a "clean" vs "dirty" when Its a game of numbers, not choices.

Fat/proteins/carbs and micronutrients if met properly, will provide results.

Wait.. did you change your post?
  • mommy3457
    Options

Disregard this post OP

I don't eat 1200 calories still. It was a rough trial and error/experiment. I'm not sure what I said that is dismissive. I do TDEE now. I don't know...lol.

Okay, and I agree? lol I eat whatever I want. I did notice that eating meat/protein helped with the hunger pains though. I think you're misunderstanding me.
  • mud7urtle
    Options

Disregard this post OP

Okay, and I agree? lol I eat whatever I want. I did notice that eating meat/protein helped with the hunger pains though. I think you're misunderstanding me.

Edited by mommy3457 On August 19, 2013 3:07 pm

Guess it doesn't matter now. How the post currently reads is for the most part agreeable.
This discussion has been closed.