Calorie Adjustment with Fitbit

I want to lose another 5 kilos (60 to 55). I'm 5ft 3. MFP says to have 1200 calories a day to lose half a kilo a week. I also have my fitbit app attached and it adjusts how many calories I can have in a day. Will I still lose weight eating the extra calories that my fitbit transfers over or do I have to stay strictly within the 1200 calories a day? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    If you are weighing all of the food you eat and accurately logging then you will still lose the weight by eating back those Fitbit calories. The deficit is already included in the 1200 calories and you would be undereating if you didn't eat back those calories. Also, with only 5 kilos left to lose, 1/2 kg a week is an aggressive goal. You and your body will cope much better if you cut that back by half. It will take longer but you are much more likely to retain more muscle mass, and keep the weight off long term.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 859 Member
    Also keep in mind fitbit assumes you will be doing the same amount of activity all day for example if you workout in the mornings you will earn alot of calories via your adjustment however if you then sit for the rest of the day the adjustment will go down if you do about the same everyday you will start to see how many you can eat before it adjusts down if that's the case
  • busybeagles
    busybeagles Posts: 3 Member
    angelsja wrote: »
    Also keep in mind fitbit assumes you will be doing the same amount of activity all day for example if you workout in the mornings you will earn alot of calories via your adjustment however if you then sit for the rest of the day the adjustment will go down if you do about the same everyday you will start to see how many you can eat before it adjusts down if that's the case

Thank you.
  • busybeagles
    busybeagles Posts: 3 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    If you are weighing all of the food you eat and accurately logging then you will still lose the weight by eating back those Fitbit calories. The deficit is already included in the 1200 calories and you would be undereating if you didn't eat back those calories. Also, with only 5 kilos left to lose, 1/2 kg a week is an aggressive goal. You and your body will cope much better if you cut that back by half. It will take longer but you are much more likely to retain more muscle mass, and keep the weight off long term.

Thank you. I didn't consider that 1/2 kilo per week was aggressive, so will keep that in mind. I am having difficulty with the calories as I eat whole food plant based no oil, but still eat alot of calories. I'm just trying this out. Initially I lost 10 kilos eating WFPB, but now have plateaued for a few months.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

Thank you. I didn't consider that 1/2 kilo per week was aggressive, so will keep that in mind. I am having difficulty with the calories as I eat whole food plant based no oil, but still eat alot of calories. I'm just trying this out. Initially I lost 10 kilos eating WFPB, but now have plateaued for a few months.

If you have plateaued for a few months this indicates that you are eating at maintenance. Being a fellow shorty, there is not much leeway for inaccuracies when we get so close to the end of our journey. How are you determining how much you are eating? Common mistakes people make is not weighing everything but relying on measuring cups, even for solids. Prepackaged goods can weigh significantly more than indicated on the packaging which can easily add up to more than 100 additional calories a day, so it is a good idea to weigh these too. SOme forget to include things like oils, dressing and other condiments. Others choose inaccurate food entries from the database without checking against good labels or the USDA website. These entries are user entered and prone to many mistakes.

If you are game and open your diary to public some logging errors can e picked up which can be of enormous help. I don't think there are many of us who didn't make most of these mistakes at some point.