What's One Ingredient You Swear by - That People Should Use More Often?

Replies

• MonaLisainCT
    MonaLisainCT Posts: 41 Member
    I found a little coffee grinder in a thrift store. Best $5 I ever spent.
    I use it to grind chia seeds to make egg-substitute for baking, and for puddings (current fave - chia walnut-milk pudding flavored with maple, vanilla, & cinnamon, mm-mmmm!)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    55jamieb wrote: »
    Ground Golden Flaxseed. Nice flavor, all the Omegas of fish oil without the smell, ALA to help fight inflammation & they help control hunger. I add this stuff to at least half of my meals.

Interesting, will have to look into this!!

The problem with using ALAs for omega-3s is that it's not clear they are sufficient to provide DHA/EPA. That's basically only in fatty fish, sea vegetables, and supplements (including algae based ones).

https://examine.com/nutrition/can-i-eat-flax-seeds-instead-of-fish-or-fish-oil-for-omega-3s/

Seeds that contain ALA can be tasty or good sources of other nutrients too, however (often they have some protein and fiber). I'd use flaxseed more if grinding it weren't a pain.

You can purchase ground flaxseed. Store in the refrigerator or freezer, because it grows rancid at room temperature. Lasts a long time refrigerated or frozen.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Ground Golden Flaxseed. Nice flavor, all the Omegas of fish oil without the smell, ALA to help fight inflammation & they help control hunger. I add this stuff to at least half of my meals.

The problem with using ALAs for omega-3s is that it's not clear they are sufficient to provide DHA/EPA. That's basically only in fatty fish, sea vegetables, and supplements (including algae based ones).

https://examine.com/nutrition/can-i-eat-flax-seeds-instead-of-fish-or-fish-oil-for-omega-3s/

Seeds that contain ALA can be tasty or good sources of other nutrients too, however (often they have some protein and fiber). I'd use flaxseed more if grinding it weren't a pain.

You can purchase ground flaxseed. Store in the refrigerator or freezer, because it grows rancid at room temperature. Lasts a long time refrigerated or frozen.

I know, and I have in the past, but I suspect it's unlikely to have been always stored properly before purchase, as it does go bad fast after being ground, so I prefer unground even if it's a pain.

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Something you can't eat - caring and love.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Fresh grated Pecorino Romano cheese. I like it on potato, rice, pasta, or cauliflower.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member

I know, and I have in the past, but I suspect it's unlikely to have been always stored properly before purchase, as it does go bad fast after being ground, so I prefer unground even if it's a pain.

It does go bad fast. , and you can never be sure how long it has been since it was ground. I don’t use flax seed anymore (tried it both ways) I use chia seeds now. They add a little crunch and remind me of poppy seeds and become gelatinous when in liquid.
  • mi_nina_lola
    mi_nina_lola Posts: 767 Member
    chipotle tabasco sauce
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Cumin
  • rodnichols69
    rodnichols69 Posts: 83 Member
    Homemade Pico De Gallo. Easy to make and lasts for 3 weeks.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    If I had to pick one, I'd go with Bragg's Liquid Aminos. Umami flavor that is so versatile. We don't keep soy sauce in the house anymore now that we have it, too.

Yes, my # 1 umami boost is fish sauce, with soy sauce / Bragg's Liquid Aminos for those who don't eat fish products.

Bragg's and some tamaris, like https://san-j.com/products/tamari-gluten-free-soy-sauce are gluten-free.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    0000834_marie-sharps-hot-habanero-pepper-sauce_550.jpeg
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,163 Member
    Aleppo pepper--warm spice with a gentle heat, it's great tossed into or onto just about everything.
  • Ground ginger

(esp for teas and stir frys)
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Hot pepper sauce!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    If I have to pick just one, it's probably Penzey's Fox Point/Justice. They're the same spice blend, except Fox Point has salt and Justice doesn't. I put it in and on everything; notable examples include scrambled eggs, pizza, pasta, and beans.

If I can list more than one, let me know :)

I feel like I just parrot "same as her" all the time but Fox Point is amazing on everything! I put it on everything, love a thick coating with lemon on salmon. I don't like Justice as much, probably because it's finer so it takes longer to shake out a lot! Aside of cinnamon and salt I use Fox Point the most.

Oh, you use a shaker? The first thing I do with any spice bottle is rip off the shaker top so I can just stick a measuring spoon in :)
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited January 2020
    onion powder, franks, italian seasoning, stevia, nosalt salt, malt vinegar
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,421 Member
    Oli+Ve balsamic vinegars, especially the strawberry, coconut or dark chocolate flavors. Use on salads, on daily snack bowls of cottage cheese and berries. A tsp in some sparkling water makes a nice soda substitute. The ginger one makes a great light stir fry seasoning.

Frontier Co-op Vietnamese Cinnamon. I never knew cinnamon could taste so.....cinnamony. Crazy sweet yet no sugar.

Any spice blend by Victoria Taylor, but especially their Herbs de Provence. It’s good in or on everything. Spaghetti, potatoes, beef stew, grilled vegetables.