Yoga-online or Netflix/amazon prime

Options
I want to try Yoga but I want to do it on the cheap and easy without leaving home.
Can anyone recommend a good program on the internet or streaming? Thanks.

Replies

• beautyonthebeach83
    beautyonthebeach83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I actually just use YouTube! I like a channel called Yoga with Adriene. I’ve tried others as well. I haven’t done it in quite a while, but I remember enjoying it. Good luck!
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'll second the recommendation for Yoga with Adrienne. My partner has actually been doing yoga everyday for the past year with her videos.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Yoga with Adriene is AWESOME
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Yoga with Adrienne
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    As your criteria is "on the cheap and easy without leaving home" do stick with beginner/gentle/restorative yoga as trying to learn something more advanced from a video is a good way to injure yourself.

For example, I've taken shoulder stand out of my routine after reading The Science of Yoga: The Risks and the Rewards and I am a certified yoga teacher and know how to do modifications and use props to make it safer.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001

that’s interesting. What made you take it out?

I’ve been opting for a lot of shoulder stands and plows lately to help with a crick in my neck and tailbone rustiness, so I’m curious. Not sure where the crick came from but suspect headstand and overextending my head back while arching in crescents and warriors.

Someone showed me a simple neck strengthening exercise using a Pilates ring and it’s been helpful, as has cradling my occipital with a towel during standing backbends.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of nuances to yoga poses that visual cues alone can’t achieve. In class, I “think” I’m doing it “right” and then the instructor adjusts me and a light bulb goes off. Even in a teacher-supervised environment, they are constantly reminding people of the safe way to get in and out of poses—like never kicking up into headstand, or taking people back to basics when they are dumping into their low back in handstand.

A home practice can be very rewarding. I would look into Groupon for some local discounts to studios so you can get a bit of a foundation that will help you not develop bad habits and help you make the most of your practice.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001

that’s interesting. What made you take it out?

I’ve been opting for a lot of shoulder stands and plows lately to help with a crick in my neck and tailbone rustiness, so I’m curious. Not sure where the crick came from but suspect headstand and overextending my head back while arching in crescents and warriors.

Someone showed me a simple neck strengthening exercise using a Pilates ring and it’s been helpful, as has cradling my occipital with a towel during standing backbends.

@springlering62 There were some horror stories in The Science of Yoga: The Risks and the Rewards about serious injuries from shoulder stand.

With a crick in your neck, I strongly discourage shoulder stand and plow.

There's more in the book, but you can get the gist from this article: https://madison.com/wsj/lifestyles/health_med_fit/a-uw-madison-graduate-s-new-book-exposes-the-dangers/article_b41aa742-5f0f-11e1-a71b-001871e3ce6c.html
  • MaintainInTheMembrane
    Options
    I find Amazon has some good workouts.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I love YouTube!
    Ive been doing Yoga with Adriene 2x a week.