brown rice question

Options
jlallen
jlallen Posts: 42 Member
I really want to make some brown rice with my main dish tonight but the last time i tried it the rice took FOREVER to cook and was very mushy and clumpy can anyone help??

Replies

• ashleyp35
    ashleyp35 Posts: 53
    Options
    Uncle Bens has one that only takes 10 min. It's the boil in the bag kind. You can even put it in the microwave.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    They also have individual rice cups too, I buy those, they are brown rice and only take a min in the microwave. They are soo handy!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I've never had an issue cooking brown rice, but I knew beforehand that it cooks differently than white rice so I made sure to follow the directions very closely. Did you cook it the same way you cook white rice or the way the box/bag says to cook it?
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I buy the boil in a bag brown rice. Much easier.
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I buy store brand (Publix) brown rice and the microwave directions turn out well every time. 1 cup rice, 4 cups water (I sometimes use broth). 5 minutes on high, cover, 40 minutes on 50% power. I know it is still longer than white rice, but I've just learned to start the rice before anything else.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I keep frozen brown rice from Trader Joe's in the freezer to use in a pinch... it microwaves in 3 or 4 minutes.
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I like the precooked 90 second pouches
  • jamie1888
    Options
    Ever try Farro? It's a whole grain, like brown rice. But, it's a bit fatter like Barley. It's packed with protein, fiber and tastes so much better than brown rice in my opinion!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Ever try Farro? It's a whole grain, like brown rice. But, it's a bit fatter like Barley. It's packed with protein, fiber and tastes so much better than brown rice in my opinion!

I've never heard of it, where do you buy it?

For the original poster... I've never had trouble cooking brown rice. I do follow the package directions (which I think is a 1:3 ration of rice/water, but I'd have to check). It does take longer to cook than white rice. I have to remind myself everytime we make stirfry to start the rice long before I start chopping meat and veggies!
  • cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I used to hate making rice of any kind on the stovetop.... I bought a rice cooker for $12 and I love it... so easy (and fast!)
  • jamie1888
    Options
    I've purchased it recently from Costco. But, I think you can also get it at Whole Foods or any health food store.
    My 22 month old son loves it too! He shovels it in like it's candy!

I've never heard of it, where do you buy it?

For the original poster... I've never had trouble cooking brown rice. I do follow the package directions (which I think is a 1:3 ration of rice/water, but I'd have to check). It does take longer to cook than white rice. I have to remind myself everytime we make stirfry to start the rice long before I start chopping meat and veggies!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I swear by rice cookers or steamers for cooking rice. It is always done perfectly, there are no undercooked or overcooked sections and I don't have to worry about burning it. White rice takes about 45-50 minutes, brown about 75 minutes, if I am making enough for the entire family. Takes some thought ahead of time, but I cook extra and have it in the fridge for a few days to use.
  • gchick64
    gchick64 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    i've had that same exact problem with brown rice. now i just buy the uncle bens brown rice microwavable bag, or the individual cups.
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Rice cookers are great, but after our first house disaster in Sept 08, we started to stream line our possessions and I found the microwave was doing just as fabulous a job on rice. If you have the space and the money, sure get one. But don't feel you have to go out and get one for perfect rice.
  • jckranz
    jckranz Posts: 4
    Options
    Ditto on swearing by rice cookers. Even cheap little ones do a great job on brown rice. You will need to start it about 45 minutes before eating or using time - and even if it goes to "Warm" before then - don't lift the lid. Let it steam. You'll be glad you did.
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    Brown rice does take forever to cook. I'm a rice purist and don't go for the boil in bag, frozen, cups, or microwave stuff now available. Start it at least an hour before you plan to eat, plenty of water, cook it slow, a little oil and salt. My husband uses the knuckle test for water, I have to measure, and don't be afraid to add more as it cooks down if it seems to be running dry and is not done.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    It took me some tweaking, but I finally got the hang of it on the stove.

I use ONLY real brown rice. If its in a package that claims it takes less time, its been processed in some way. Real rice should take 30+ minutes to cook. Not that I'm telling you this is the only way to go, just my preference.

1. First, make sure you use double the liquid. So, one cup rice, two cups water or broth. I like to add just a few ounces more just in case. (See #3.)

2. Make sure the lid is a tight fit and don't cook on high. I usually use a little less than medium heat. Stir a few times throughout cooking time.

3. If the water is absorbed, its done. If the water absorbs before its done, theres not much you can do. If you add more water in the middle of cooking, it will clump and get soggy. (This is why I add a few extra ounces from the start.) The change in temp slows down the cooking. Its like cooking something half way, sticking it in the fridge, then trying to finish tomorrow. It'll never come out right.

4. I find it easier to make big batches once per week and just leave it in the fridge. It seems to cook better in big batches for me, plus its a nice time saver during the week. I usually make 2 cups dry in a pot with a very tight lid and 4+ cups water/broth mix if I have it. It takes about 45 minutes.

5. You can add a touch of evoo or butter in the beginning to avoid sticking as well. About a tablespoon per cup of dry rice.

These are just some things I've learned through trial and error. When your using the stovetop, I think it can vary from one house to the next. Depends on the stove, flame, altitude, etc. The suggestions for a rice cooker are a good idea too if you don't want to bother with the stove. But honestly, once I got the hang of it, its like second nature to me now.
  • todd2568
    todd2568 Posts: 1
    Options
    hi im todd just joined this sight and i eat brown rice everyday, try uncle bens whole grain instant rice its awesome and turns out nicely. let me know how it goes .