Snowboarding for first time

Options
amtyrell
amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
My neice wants to try it so i have agreed we can do it together. We are taking an intro to snowboard class and then rest of the day lift ticket tomorrow.
Has anyone tried this for first time as an adult? Any insight? Please tell me this is going to be fun and good

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    It's harder than it looks.

Was an intermediate adult skier. Competent but not great on 2 boards.

Never surfed or skateboarded, which might have helped in snowboarding.

One really snowy day (not good for skiing), I decided to give boardng a try. Kept overedging and face planting in the snow. Balance point was very hard 4 me to find. Fortunately, the snow was thick and soft.

Never boarded again.

Also bought a hoverboard because I thought it would be fun. Had similar problem w/finding my balance on it. Still have the hoverboard but haven't used it since either.

Think this may be your main hurdle in snowboarding but once u "get it" I sure you'll have a great time.

I just wasn't willing 2 put in the work 2 overcome the frustration 2do so.
  • sabrinacrandall
    sabrinacrandall Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Get ready to fall. A lot. The first day of snowboarding can be really difficult, but if you stick with it and learn to turn, it's the most exhilarating enjoyable activity. There's just a lot of falling in the beginning. You might want to wear wrist guards if you have them because the reflex tends to be if you fall back to catch yourself with your hands first, which is a risk to your wrists.

Good idea taking a lesson--I never allow my friends to start without taking one. If you can learn to "leaf" (stay on your rear edge and turn down the mountain back and forth), you can get down the mountain. Just requires some balance and trusting your edges. If you're ever on the flat of the board you're at the most risk of falling and "catching an edge".

Don't give up! Have fun, laugh at yourself, and enjoy the good workout and fresh air that snowboarding affords.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    My neice wants to try it so i have agreed we can do it together. We are taking an intro to snowboard class and then rest of the day lift ticket tomorrow.
    Has anyone tried this for first time as an adult? Any insight? Please tell me this is going to be fun and good

It'll be fun. It's good you're taking a class, that will help. I'm a competent skier and decided to give the board a whirl one day with one of my buddies. It was kind of a rough day, but he was trying to teach me vs having an actual instructor teach me. I still had fun and was doing ok by the end of the day, but I still much prefer skiing. He actually doesn't board anymore either...it was just a phase for him, and he went back to skiing.

It's actually easier to take to than skiing, so you should be good with competent instruction.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Get ready to fall. A lot. The first day of snowboarding can be really difficult, but if you stick with it and learn to turn, it's the most exhilarating enjoyable activity. There's just a lot of falling in the beginning. You might want to wear wrist guards if you have them because the reflex tends to be if you fall back to catch yourself with your hands first, which is a risk to your wrists.

Good idea taking a lesson--I never allow my friends to start without taking one. If you can learn to "leaf" (stay on your rear edge and turn down the mountain back and forth), you can get down the mountain. Just requires some balance and trusting your edges. If you're ever on the flat of the board you're at the most risk of falling and "catching an edge".

Don't give up! Have fun, laugh at yourself, and enjoy the good workout and fresh air that snowboarding affords.

Yes! You are going to fall a lot...... seriously, a lot.

My suggestion is to wear one of those shirts with the thumb holes so you can put your gloves on over top so there is less change of snow getting up your sleeve or down your glove when you fall.

Last of all: Snowboarding is so much fun and I'm terrible at it! Not sure where you live or where your going, but the place that I go to gives you the option to switch rentals and change your mind. I've always been a good skiier so I start our on the snowboard and when I get tired of falling and generally sucking, I switch to skiing.

Have fun!!
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Ok that was so much fun but absolutely exhausting. I loved it but fell on my knees and butt so many times. It was so fun but very hard
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Ok that was so much fun but absolutely exhausting. I loved it but fell on my knees and butt so many times. It was so fun but very hard

So glad you had fun!!!