Need more info on how ab crunches are not necessary

Options
I am trying to write a blog for work of about how ab crunches are a waste of time. Does anyone have a credible source I could use to find more information? Hopefully if I find enough research to write this blog I can share it with MFP :)

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    maybe if you gave some more info. I mean, Ab crunches aren't crucial if you do other core work, but they aren't a waste of time if you do them correctly. That is to say, compound moves can give you more bang for your buck, but ab crunches do isolate and work the abdominals if you do them correctly.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
  • jeanineadele
    jeanineadele Posts: 114
    Options
    That's the best news I've ever heard!
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I think what she means is that crunches are a waste of time if you are trying to spot reduce...
  • hartlife48
    hartlife48 Posts: 33
    Options
    I should clarify, I am not saying that ab crunches are a waste of time, an individual I know made that comment and it sparked my interest to find out whether she was right or not, and if there are myths of ab crunches that need to be busted.I found a few articles but still looking for more research articles. And if crunches aren't a waste of time, how much should you do? 100? 500? 1000 perday? Just something to think about!
  • hartlife48
    hartlife48 Posts: 33
    Options
    And thank you 4lafz!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    ohhhh, ok that's different.

So myths about ab crunches from a personal trainer (me!)

1) you can reduce belly fat with ab crunches. NOPE, can't do it, won't work, you can't spot reduce body fat.

2) The more crunches you do, the better you are. Also false, quantity does not trump quality in small muscle groups. 20 to 40 crunches will be just as effective as 200 crunches if you perform with correct form and hold them the correct amount of time.

3) You should work your abs every day. Not necessary. Small muscles like abs, lower back, and calves can be worked 2 to 3 times a week with great affect. You can do them more often, but will yield very little return for these efforts.
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    If you have fat around your stomach it own't matter how many you do. In that case the best exercise is cardio.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I have just started doing these to try and strengthen my lower back since I have back issues. Is it a waste of time for that and if so what would work better?
  • jarce1408
    jarce1408 Posts: 5
    Options
    It is correct that you cannot "spot reduce" body fat with any form of exercise. Where you hold your body fat is partly hereditary. Reducing your weight through healthy changes in your diet is the quickets way to rid yourself of high levels of body fat. From that point - exercise takes over in shaping your overall physique. Although we should exercise throughout the process, the most noticeable changes with weight loss will be made with eating a healthy caloric deficit diet.

Crunches are not ineffective, but there are certainly more effective ways to train the core. The above poster is spot on by saying QUALITY over quantity. Use an exercise ball instead for a wider range of motion. Simply contracting the abdominals while walking and sitting will firm the area as well. Think of EVERY exercise you do as a core exercise to help strengthen the area and support the lower back. Always keep the abs contracted and gluteals tight.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I have just started doing these to try and strengthen my lower back since I have back issues. Is it a waste of time for that and if so what would work better?

Ab crunches do not strengthen the lower back at all. You should probably be thinking in terms of pilates for extra core strength.

While crunches aren't a waste of time, they should be part of an overall core strengthening program. Things like kneeling 360 kettle bell transfers (or the Russian twist), planks, side planks, bicycle crunches, cat stretch, kneeling on the exercise ball, oblique twists...etc.

basically anything that forces you to balance for an extended period will help with your total core strength. Especially things that take your lower body out of the picture (forcing you to use more of your stabilizing muscles like the back, gluts, abs, and obliques. But be wary, the core is a group of very small and fragile muscles, overworking them can have very serious consequences. Make any move you do slow, deliberate, and ALWAYS under complete control. These are NOT fast twitch, high powered muscles and as such any quick, jerking moves can strain them.