Exercise for a 55 yo

I am 55 and I am looking to lose weight and get in better shape. I have about 25lbs to lose, I am working with a doctor on a diet plan, so that part is figured out.

I joined a gym that has an Orange Theory-type HIIT class, as well as Le Mills classes, yoga, hot yoga, and all gym equipment, free weights, resistance training machines, etc. Currently I am doing:

Sunday - no formal exercise, sometimes 30 min walk
Monday - ?
Tuesday - 1 hr HIIT
Wed - rest
Thurs - 1 hr HIIT
Friday - ?
Saturday - 1 hr HIIT

What does everyone suggest on Monday and Friday? I want to take Wed off.

Replies

• mrousefwa
    mrousefwa Posts: 1 Member
    circuit resistance training two days a week.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Pilates. It's life changing and there are different levels so anyone can do it
  • LondonParisTexas
    LondonParisTexas Posts: 501 Member
    I suggest you look at the Paula B workouts for over 50s on the net. Excellent, doable and efficient!
  • What you are doing sounds good to me. If you want to lose a couple of stone then it's going to be a long slow process. Try not to set yourself up to fail, By committing yourself to too many things. You need to find a system that works well with your work, life balance. For example, if you are an early riser, do your workout first thing as come the evening you won't have the energy or inclination. Well done for making a commitment to yourself and remember to acknowledge every activity you take part in
  • gretchen2823
    gretchen2823 Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks everyone, I understand this will be a long process, so I want to form better habits. The gym doesn't offer Pilates, but they do have a variety of yoga classes at varying intensities, including hot yoga. They have a circuit resistance training I have done a few times too that I really like.
  • therealmarceline
    therealmarceline Posts: 38 Member
    I'm almost as old as you and just IMHO if you are trying to lose 25lbs your diet is #1 I would start lifting weights to help your body re-comp as it loses fat. I agree with the other poster that told you Hiit workouts don't last an hour. I would beware super crazy workouts that could make your cortisol levels work against you. Those LesMils classes are great btw.Oh and Soooooo jealous-what an awesome sounding gym!!
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Circuit training ups your metabolism and helps prevent muscle loss we tend towards as we age. Brava on your endeavor to better yourself!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    I am 55 and I am looking to lose weight and get in better shape. I have about 25lbs to lose, I am working with a doctor on a diet plan, so that part is figured out.

I joined a gym that has an Orange Theory-type HIIT class, as well as Le Mills classes, yoga, hot yoga, and all gym equipment, free weights, resistance training machines, etc. Currently I am doing:

Sunday - no formal exercise, sometimes 30 min walk
    Monday - ?
    Tuesday - 1 hr HIIT
    Wed - rest
    Thurs - 1 hr HIIT
    Friday - ?
    Saturday - 1 hr HIIT

What does everyone suggest on Monday and Friday? I want to take Wed off.

Spin classes in winter and cycling outside in spring, summer and autumn. :)
  • gretchen2823
    gretchen2823 Posts: 5 Member
    Interesting about cortisol levels, and probably adjust when I start to plateau.

I understand about HIIT, it is a misnomer but shorthand to understand the type of class, I end up about 9 minutes at 93-100% max heart rate, 25-30 min at 85-93%, and 10 at 71-85%, the rest of the time is cycled into lower rates. It is a good workout and I
    want to become more fit as well as drop pounds.

I have to say to gym is pretty fantastic, plus it only costs $40/mo. My husband and I went in out of curiosity and were blown away.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Resistance training would be my first choice.

If you are looking to lose weight, it would be in your best interest to retain muscle, build bone density, and gain strength.

Yep. The CDC recommends 2-3 resistance training sessions that target all muscle groups a week.

As we get older lack of strength impacts out lives. The one of the main reasonspeople are in assisted living is the lack of strength/mobility to get off the toilet.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I think it would be good to add some weights in there. I'm 51 and I'm no she hulk but believe me it helps a lot to lift even if relatively light.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    Interesting about cortisol levels, and probably adjust when I start to plateau.

I understand about HIIT, it is a misnomer but shorthand to understand the type of class, I end up about 9 minutes at 93-100% max heart rate, 25-30 min at 85-93%, and 10 at 71-85%, the rest of the time is cycled into lower rates. It is a good workout and I
    want to become more fit as well as drop pounds.

I have to say to gym is pretty fantastic, plus it only costs $40/mo. My husband and I went in out of curiosity and were blown away.

Do you know your actual max heart rate through athletic testing (not a medical stress test), vs. using an age-estimated value? The latter are materially inaccurate for a fair fraction of the population. (It's primarily genetics, not training.) At 64, mine is around 180, 220-age would be 156, which would put the zones in a dramatically different place.

Regardless, it sounds like you're reaching a good intensity, and it's good to be intense as part of the mix.

Do watch out for subtle fatigue, if pursuing high intensities multiple times a week, especially as a relative beginner. Fatigue can bleed calories out of daily life activity, offsetting some exercise calorie benefits.

The most efficient path to fitness usually includes a good volume of simple moderate steady-state effort, with high intensity as a spice rather than main dish, especially early on.

That said, enjoyment and an activity schedule you want to stick with is more important than abstract efficiency, in a practical sense.

Sounds like you have a great start. Best wishes as you progress! :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Strength training
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2020
    If it's like Orange Theory, they do age estimated HR zones, useless to me. Mine is around 20 BPM higher than the age formula says it is, so on my trial class (at least according to them), I had 49 "splat points". But I actually didn't work hard enough to lose my breath. It was a classic Steady State (easy) workout for me. Very few people actually reach max HR on workouts, which leads me to believe your HR range is inaccurate.

Like others have mentioned, I'd add in some easy cardio sessions between the OT workouts. I think that would be a great compliment.

If like OT, your classes are doing strength (dumbbells) training, strength training outside of class would be repetitive.

I'm 55 as well. I workout 9 hours a week and do HIIT twice a week, lift 2 to 3 times a week and row easy (on a machine) for around 5 hours a week. You must, at this age, do enough easy stuff to recover from the hard stuff. True HIIT, at my age, is limited to twice a week. I might do 3 times a week, but it's for VERY brief periods, like 5 weeks. That's only if I'm prepping for an Indoor rowing race. Beyond a month or so, I break down.

What I'm seeing missing for you is more easy cardio workouts that are recovery or easier.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Definitely resistance/weight training to guard against muscle loss and osteoporosis. I'm not personally convinced by HIIT three times a week, but if you are enjoying it and recovering well then it may suit you and/or may not actually be truly high intensity.
  • imfornd70
    imfornd70 Posts: 552 Member
    IMHO too much HIIT - twice a week - and strength training 5 times a week
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    OP, some great suggestions around strength training and maybe adding a bit of low intensity cardio.

Since you mentioned that your gym offers yoga, I'd suggest trying to find time to practice yoga if you can. I'm 62 years old and started a yoga practice a few years back to help with flexibility and balance to support my race training. I've been pleasantly surprised that in addition to the physical benefits, I leave each session with an enhanced sense of well being. As a result, I really look forward to my yoga practice each week.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited January 2020
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Resistance training would be my first choice.

If you are looking to lose weight, it would be in your best interest to retain muscle, build bone density, and gain strength.
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Yep. The CDC recommends 2-3 resistance training sessions that target all muscle groups a week.

As we get older lack of strength impacts out lives. The one of the main reasons people are in assisted living is the lack of strength/mobility to get off the toilet.

Another vote for strength training. My mom started this in her late 70's. Her osteoporosis doctor wishes she had started decades earlier.

My OH's mother had to go into a nursing home when she was no longer able to go to the bathroom unassisted, due to no longer having the muscle/strength needed to get on and off the toilet.

Over the years, she'd been given exercises to do, but slacked off.

Her sister is supposed to be doing PT exercises as well, but is not, and is slowly losing mobility.

My mom is a beast for an 82 year old, and it won't be lack of muscles that puts her in a nursing home - more likely is falling off a ladder while cleaning gutters, despite me begging her to stop doing this >.<