Rapid weight loss for medical reasons and then maintaining a healthy one in the future.

Options
dangermooch
dangermooch Posts: 23 Member
edited January 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi, I live in Canada and while our healthcare system is incredible, it also is slow. I've been waiting for three years for a consultation for a breast reduction. I finally have an appointment for February 14th and surgery would be in August if I am approved.

The catch is, I was 206lbs when I found out my referral had finally made it to the top of the stack but wasn't informed by my doctor that there are weight requirements by some doctors (not all, but this MD happens to have a stricter weight requirement than most) and hers is 180lbs or there is no point coming for an assessment.

I am non-binary trans and on top of all the physical impacts of a large chest (numb hands and fingers, sore back and neck, bad posture, rashes, trouble exercising, etc), I also experience dysphoria that impacts depression. I can't postpone this appointment.

So this is a lot of backstory to say that I needed to lose 26 lbs in 3 months. I'm down to 186.2 as of today. My appointment is in less than three weeks. I think I will meet the weight requirement, but I feel like I've totally messed up my eating habits. I am eating very low cal.

Does anyone else have experience in resuming a healthier weight loss routine. I would like to get back to my normal sustainable weight of 160lbs in a healthy and sustainable way.

Any advice? I would also love to hear from others who have been in a similar experience. I feel very isolated losing weight like this.

Please be nice to me.

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It's probably a little aggressive, but not impossible. Once you meet the threshold and have the appointment, you can simply adjust your weight loss goals to something more reasonable like 1lb per week. You might see a little weight jump initially after increasing calories, but overall will continue to trend down.

It might also help to work with a mental health professional and a registered dietitian if you can. Your end goal weight is pretty reasonable, overall.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @NovusDies was it you who had to lose a lot of weight fast in advance of a medical procedure last year?